Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

just passed! do i have to wait for my license now?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Yeah, but are there any guards out that will actually pull you up on that? Surely most will say fair enough and off ya go?

Btw do you have to go to the Motor Tax Office yourself or can you just fill out the form, get the photos, money etc and get someone else to go in for you. Reason i ask is I'm still in school and earliest i can get there in Wednesday, my dad works out direction so can he just pop in for me?

Edit- Do you not have 10 days in which to show your licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leejo wrote: »
    Btw do you have to go to the Motor Tax Office yourself or can you just fill out the form, get the photos, money etc and get someone else to go in for you. Reason i ask is I'm still in school and earliest i can get there in Wednesday, my dad works out direction so can he just pop in for me?
    AFAIK, you may get someone to go in. You can also post your application - (photocopy Cert of Competency before sending to make things easier if stopped).

Leejo wrote:
    Edit- Do you not have 10 days in which to show your licence?
    The '10 days to produce' applies to those who have a licence but not with them when stopped. They have 10 days to 'produce' the licence at their local Garda Station. It is then checked to ensure that it was valid on the day the person was asked for it. (Same for insurance/tax/NCT etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

One thing to be careful of: some people say you "should be ok" with the reciept plus any copies of CoC etc but there is no basis for this. It is sheer guesswork.

When I filed my application for my full driving license end of Jan beginning of Feb, I asked here what I could do with the reciept I got: some posters told me to tear down my L-Plates and go ahead and use the motorways, others said not licensed until I get the pink paper in my hand. What I found was that the answer was in between. I got my driving license, I think it was about 2 weeks later but it had been in force for only the preceeding week, all IIRC

My understanding is that you are not licensed to drive on your own, take down your L-Plates, or go on the motorways until your full license is in force, which may be any time between the day you file your application and the day you get the license in the Post.

AFAIK, you may get someone to go in. You can also post your application - (photocopy Cert of Competency before sending to make things easier if stopped).

Super thanks
    SeanW wrote: »
    One thing to be careful of: some people say you "should be ok" with the reciept plus any copies of CoC etc but there is no basis for this. It is sheer guesswork.

That's not the case was told the other day by my tester that after passing I may take down my L-plates and drive on my own once I go into the Motor Tax Office and have the receipt with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Leejo wrote: »
    That's not the case was told the other day by my tester that after passing I may take down my L-plates and drive on my own once I go into the Motor Tax Office and have the receipt with me.

It's kind of a grey area, even testers them selves get it wrong. You must display your "L" plates until you have applied in the motor tax office, and receive a receipt. I would advise that you make a copy of both your certificate of competency and your provo before applying for your full license just to be completely covered.

• Advertisement

It's kind of a grey area, even testers them selves get it wrong. You must display your "L" plates until you have applied in the motor tax office, and receive a receipt. I would advise that you make a copy of both your certificate of competency and your provo before applying for your full license just to be completely covered.

Done and done, have my aul lad heading in during lunch tomorrow for me. Having said that most of the guards around here are sound enough, a few people i know have been pulled over while just on professionals and just told not to do it again, one even for speeding.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement