Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Question

Options
  • 05-08-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I started cycling properly about 6 weeks ago and until now I've been using standard pedals with Toe Clips - I'm now looking to get proper pedals and cycling shoes etc and was wondering what options would be the best for a fairly novice cyclist. Bear in mind that I may need to clip in and out easily etc as I'll be cycling on roads with lots of traffic lights etc.

The missus is heading to the states so I was thinking of taking advantage of the cheaper proces and ask her to pick some up over there!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

If you are buying shoes try them on here first before you buy.

Look pedals are probably the best for newbies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

I have Look Keo - road pedals and Time (not sure bout model though). They're both cost round 50 euro. You clip in and out very easy. Just bear in mind that you have that type of pedals before you stop. I crashed maybe two or three times. When I had to stop instantly. But that was at the very beggining. Now even if I need to stop suddenly I don't fall. It's matter of practice and getting used to pedals like that. You can always slow down earlier and clip out one leg few meters before you need to stop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Look Keos are pretty straightforward and do a great job at holding your foot in place, even at their lowest tension. Look are a French firm though, so you may not necessarily get a good deal in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Just to confise matters slightly, I use and like Shimano SPD-SL's :)

There's not a huge amount of difference in use between the different pedal systems to be honest, but they do have different hole patterns for the cleat (the bit that screws onto the shoe), so make sure you get shoes that go with your pedal system.

I wouldn't have too much worry buying shoes online, I did and got away with it -bear in mind though that SIDI tend to be a bit narrower so you may need to get a ize bigger than you're used to -loads of threads about that around though so google will help

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

To be honest, there doesn't appear to be that much of a a difference between SPD-SL and Look. They are pretty similar systems and I'd say anyone who uses one would be happy enough if they had to use the other.

God be with the days when Shimano just licensed Look's system and you could use the same cleats with both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think SPD-SL and Look have the same bolt pattern for the cleat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lilphich

I use the SPD's on my road bike as I use my bike for everything and need to walk about in the shoes without slipping over.

These were my first clipless pedals and I haven't had a problem clipping in an out of them.

I think that some SIDI shoes also now come in an extra wide sizing as well for people with "Normal" sized feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

it's also worth pointing out that SPD and SPD-SL are different!

SPD's are usually marketted to the MTB crowd, as the cleat is recessed, allowing you to walk about easier in the shoes. SPD-SL is the 'roadie' system with a very different cleat that is harder to walk in.

Note that although SPD is marketted as MTB, it is very common to see people using them on road bikes (quite a few guys here do, and there's nothing wrong with it!)

@penexpers -the bolt pattern is the same for look and spd-sl, but different for speedplay I think (sorry for not being clear on that!)

Just to clarify, SPDs are totally different pedals from SPD-SL.
    Lilphich wrote: »
    I think that some SIDI shoes also now come in an extra wide sizing as well for people with "Normal" sized feet :)

Yes, some of their range are available in extra wide sizing. They're sold as 'Mega'. Harder to find though.

I don't think Sidi's are particuarly narrow, just that their sizing is a bit small. I wear them and just get one size bigger than I usually would and they fit fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

SPDs for commuting definitely. SPD-SLs are much better in my opinion for the long haul stuff, but for start-stop from the lights where you aren't looking for the most efficient pedalling system over a short distance, then SPDs are the business.

Not to mention the recessed cleat as Tiny mentioned makes it a lot easier to walk around in. I wore away my SL cleat from simple ambulations about the place (well, not totally, but they were taking a beating).

Shimano M520s have a much lower tension than the ultegra pedals I use, but they are double sided and much easier for traffic conditions when you dont want to be fumbling with a road pedal.

EDIT: Also dont find SIDI sizing odd, if you have ever bought a pair of football boots, a similar size in SIDIs will (should) work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I use SPDs - the only choice if you want to walk any distance. Only go for a road system if you will not be walking off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sorry to add to your confusion but I used get terrible hot spots when I used spd's. Never had the same problem with my Keo's.

There can sometimes be excellent ebay value to be got on pedals and shoes, so that's another place to keep an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

I've always had spd's for my mountain bike, and when I recently got a road bike I got the spd pedals so I could use the same shoes for both bikes.

However nobody else on the road seem to use spd's and I feel like I'm missing out on something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I use Crank brothers SPD type pedals and find them great (disclaimer: I have never used any other clipless system)

I have Candys on the bike that I use for long spins and Acids on my commuter.

Both are based on the egg-beater design, but have a platform which I find particularly handy for stopping/starting at lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

OP - Maybe a dual-sided pedal would suit you. I have pedals which are SPD one side and flat the other side and they are fine for commuting. I find them handy for going about the city and while getting used to the clipless pedals I found the flat side reassuring.

Slightly OT - I've noticed most road bikes have the Look style pedals. What are the advantages of them over the SPDs? I have a pair of Look pedals here but no shoes (and no bursting urge to get shoes, especially if they aren't as convenient to walk about in as SPDs).

AFAIK: Larger platform, better power transfer, no hot spots, more secure retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

Pretty much on the same boat as the original poster, a clipless noob myself. I've been using SPD's a couple of days now, shimano M540 pedals with M122 shoes. I still can't believe why I never tried going clipless before, it makes a world of difference.

Tried clipping in and out a few times, pushing against a wall to get the feel of it. It's really easy to get out of it (when you want to) and didn't have a single fall so far. Today were put to the real test, commuting with morning traffic and heavy rain. I surely arrived soaking wet at work but I couldn't blame the pedals for that.

Overall I think you couldn't go wrong as a newbie with SPD's, tho I haven't tried another pedal system. I just liked the way you get out of them, flicking the ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Thanks for all the replies.
    Lots of good info to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Just spotted these on CRC.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5369

Does anyone think these would be a decent buy?

Could be, if you have decided a road system is for you (e.g. no walking off the bike.)

• Advertisement

When I need to walk off the bike, I simply take my shoes off. Get some funny looks but better than clip-clopping around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Regarding the SPD vs SPD-SL argument, I agree that the double-sidedness of the SPD make them a better option when you have to clip in/out a lot. The smaller recessed cleat also make the shoes easier to walk in.

One minor advantage of the SPD-SL pedal though is that the larger platform means that they are just about rideable (over a short distance) wearing ordinary runners - very handy when you want to just jump on the bike to pop down to a mate's house or whatever. I have SPD on my mountain bike and I always seem to come close to braining myself when I hop on it in my runners.

But so far in this thread only Shimano and Look seem to have been mentioned. Check out Speedplay pedals too. Although they are road pedals like the SPD-SL and Keo, they are double-sided like the SPD and have very walkable cleats. They're what Team CSC uses and Bjarne seems to know what works!

my partner uses speedplays (he has dodgy knees and they seem to help). He is very happy with them but if I remember when we first got them they were quite expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cantalach wrote:
    One minor advantage of the SPD-SL pedal though is that the larger platform means that they are just about rideable (over a short distance) wearing ordinary runners - very handy when you want to just jump on the bike to pop down to a mate's house or whatever. I have SPD on my mountain bike and I always seem to come close to braining myself when I hop on it in my runners.

You can get double sided SPD pedals that have a cage around them so you can use them with normal shoes.

Here are two examples:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4256
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=122&idproduct=4259

Good god man think of the weight though :eek: I do actually have plastic clip-on platforms on one side of my hack but they would annoy me on any of my other bikes. You lose the double-sidedness with them (I know you don't with those pedals you linked.)

If you are buying the bike for racing/triathlon/day cycles where you are not really walking off the bike then a road system is ideal.

If you are going to be commuting/touring etc. where you may want to walk around a bit then go SPD.

my partner uses speedplays (he has dodgy knees and they seem to help). He is very happy with them but if I remember when we first got them they were quite expensive?
    Note Speedplays are one of the few (only?) double-sided road systems, as the mechanism is all in the cleat rather than the pedal. They are more expensive than most but get generally excellent reviews from anyone who has them. CSC use them :D

Those Shimano pedals look fine for someone new to clipless.

As the lads said, if you want to walk in your shoes SPD-SL are worth looking at.

If that isn't an issue, I wouldn't worry too much about SPDs or Keos. I ride with Keos and live in the middle of town, which means lots of stopping and starting at the lights. You get used to it very quickly. Even as a utter noob years ago on my first pair of Look type pedals I never fell off.

Regarding Speedplays, CSC are sponsored by them, which means they're paid to ride them. Doesn't mean they're bad pedals, but doesn't mean they are better than all the rest either.

Interestingly, I saw pictures of Bjarne Riis riding his own Cervelo during the rest day of the Tour. He was using Sram Red and Look Keos.

Advertisement