Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Gate Shopping Centre

Options
  • 05-08-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey all, with the opening of the shopping centre only a couple of months away, has anybody got any ideas on what shops are going into it?

According to plans, there is room for Dunnes plus 23 shops, a gym, medical centre, bar and restaurant. It would be great to see these all taken up on opening but i highly doubt it. Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Where is South Gate SC?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth

Hi,

Its just at the entrance to the GrangeRath housing estate.In South Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

im almost certain that this is the meath forum?

Unless ive not been told something? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

South of the river in Drogheda is Meath;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

its acutally in st colmcilles catchment area too well inside meath that.i heard dunnes are pulling out of scotch hall for it as are pull and bear and another shop who i cant think of right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Can't imagine Dunnes will sustain 2 stores in (Scotch Hall + Southgate) when Tesco is opening up in Bettystown.

Incidentally, the idea of putting that much development in Bettystown without a decent road into the place is a joke. I've only moved to the area recently but I'd love to know what was going through the mind (or wallet) of whoever gave the goahead to the idea of putting a few hundred apartments and a full scale Tesco store in a village (with village infrastructure). The roads in the area are falling apart ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

there pulling out of scotch hall mate

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

South of the river in Drogheda is Meath;)

;) not all south of the river... part of Beaubec is Louth/part is Meath... Roscoill/Castlewood/Boyne Valley is Louth..... Five Oaks is Louth.....Grange Rath is Louth....:rolleyes:

I've 'heard' that Starbucks are going in (but I really can't believe that)...been told that Champion Sports are going in... Monsoon and Next.... but I don't anybody really knows......(not very helpful I know!:rolleyes:)

Starbucks would be brilliant. im addicted to that place. Could be some truth in the Champion Sports rumour as i heard they are looking at pulling out of the Laurence centre.
    Next leaving Scotch Hall would be a huge loss to the centre.

I think the huge pull of South Gate will be the free parking. lets hope it takes off and they have to build a second phase.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

When is this due to open?

• Advertisement

Hey,

the centre was originally due to open at the end of October/Start of November but i wouldnt be too optimistic.

On a side note, the Tesco store in Bettystown is due to open on the 19th of September. It will be a welcome inclusion to the area.

Other than that it will wipe out the ripoff Supervalu, how can opening a full scale Tesco in a village that hasnt a road into or out of it worth speaking of be a good thing? Its going to be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Don't know how I missed this thread tbh, but for the record:

Dunnes have made no comments about pulling out of the South Gate development, and it remains pure speculation at the moment. Irish Times Link

Shannon Homes have come out to say that Dunnes are 100% behind the development, stating that they have actually bought the unit in question. That said however, the unit they were meant to open in Wicklow will now not open, despite the unit being fully kitted out with shelving and tills. In my opinion, just because they own it, doesn't mean they'll actually open it. Drogheda Independent Link

In relation to Scotch Hall, Topshop are going as soon as they sort something out with the lease, but its said they are trading rent free at the moment. Pull and Bear are in a similar situation as well. It was said that Dunnes would actually pull out of Scotch Hall when they opened in South Gate, but that remains to be seen now. My own opinion is that Barrett fuked up by cutting the cinema in phase one in order to try and squeeze more retail space in and is now suffering because of it. Irish Times Link

Also, Grange Rath is fully in Co. Meath, although its a grey area as to wheather or not it is in the Drogheda environs, as the townland of Colpe includes part of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Hey,

the centre was originally due to open at the end of October/Start of November but i wouldnt be too optimistic.

I'd imagine they're going to get it open for Christmas..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

justagirl wrote: »
    ;) not all south of the river... part of Beaubec is Louth/part is Meath... Roscoill/Castlewood/Boyne Valley is Louth..... Five Oaks is Louth.....Grange Rath is Louth....:rolleyes:

Wrong...from half way through Stameen it becomes Meath. Grange Rath is entirely in Meath.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Wrong...from half way through Stameen it becomes Meath. Grange Rath is entirely in Meath.

I'm Not wrong (this time!) my friend :) ....I have a friend who lives in Beaubec and her address is Louth and the road opposite address is Meath. Roscoill/Castlewood postal address is Louth.

I am now not sure about Grange Rath it is a bit of an iffy one - some people say its Louth/Some Meath - Wasn't there some talk about when it was built they were using Louth council services (water etc)... but Louth council would not take it on as it was technically in Meath?.. Maybe some one who lives in Grange Rath knows...

Has anyone heard of any other shops going into South Gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Grange Rath is in Meath. All planning issues go via Meath CoCo.

The shopping centre is looking very empty. Lots of 'To Let' signs. There are 3 planning applications for change of use for units on the Lower Ground (I assume the ones that face into the estate). 1 unit between Dunnes and the Newsagent says 'Butcher - Opening Soon', another unit around the front says Pub and Restaurant, though I have not seen any applications for licenses.

I was told that someone is trying to get one of the units to use as a montessori .... anytime I've been there (only a handful of times) its always very quiet ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I was told that someone is trying to get one of the units to use as a montessori .... anytime I've been there (only a handful of times) its always very quiet ....

Myself and the boyfriend drive by quite often, and there never seem to be many cars parked or people up and about... but then again, apart from people from around that area who are prob happy to having to drive to Drogheda, apart from Dunnes, there isn't much there!

As for a restaurant or pub, not too sure about that, that 'new' restaurant at the Bryanstown manor is already up for lease, hasn't even been open longer than a year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

west street is going a la venice, sinking by every moment. shops have shuttered for good in droogheeda, was it twelve in the last month. lost count. dunnes lays off their staff in scotch hall and decides two is not enough. boycott south gate, support the local shops and eateries, and say hi to the two cuties in stockwell artisan foods while your having a home baked ham sambo and organic slaw, because we need more of that and less of southgate.

• Advertisement

Without going off topic totally I was up West street on Monday and was shocked at how quiet it was. But tbh it isn't just retail being spread out a la Scotch Hall, Southgate, Donore Road, etc etc - I couldn't park anywhere near the town for less than E1.20 an hour. Wtf? The traders and council need to realise that passing trade is not going to pay E1.20 to park when all they were going to do was run into 1 or 2 shops for a 5min. message or nip into the bank. As it happened I didn't have any change, so went up to Tesco Donore Road to buy what I was going to get in the town centre, got some change, went back and payed my 1.30 parking for the privelege of going to the bank for all of 6 minutes.

Thats a complete aside to the fact that I can go to any town over the border, pay at most 30p/hr to park in any town outside of Belfast (most places are free), and then save 30-50% on the majority of goods.

Traders and the council in the town are makin things harder for themselves than they need to be.

talisker wrote: »
    say hi to the two cuties in stockwell artisan foods while your having a home baked ham sambo and organic slaw, because we need more of that and less of southgate.

its nice little shop, very helpful as well.

If buying fish in Drogheda make sure price on board is same as on scales. I had a €5 difference in price per kg. I haven't used that shop since then.

I am guilty of hitting north for shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

Mylow wrote: »

If buying fish in Drogheda make sure price on board is same as on scales. I had a €5 difference in price per kg. I haven't used that shop since then.

quote]

if your talking about atlantic fish on stockwell street - do avoid. its always smelly in there, kirwan's on west street is very good and try haggling. in this day and age a little banter will keep your pocket sweeter.

what was this thread about anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Jasus I was in the shopping centre yesterday its very bad. I think the open plan design is also very bad.

The coffee shop is open Dunnes Stores is open and a flower shop and newsagent.

I see a butchers is opening soon. After that goodluck. It has nothing worth traveling to for.

I only go cause I live in Duleek. Its handier than dunnes in scotch hall.

The carpark is half enclosed if its raining so you'll be kept dry

sNarah wrote: »
    As for a restaurant or pub, not too sure about that, that 'new' restaurant at the Bryanstown manor is already up for lease, hasn't even been open longer than a year!!!

The Lemongrass has been up for sale for 3 or 4 months now. Do you mean Eastern Seaboard?

The pub/restaurant is not going ahead at Southgate. That was stated at AGM of Colpe Management (Grange Rath management company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I've 'heard' that Starbucks are going in (but I really can't believe that)...been told that Champion Sports are going in... Monsoon and Next.... but I don't anybody really knows......(not very helpful I know!:rolleyes:)

Let me set the record straight here!

The area of Drogheda Town that is South of the Boyne is under the administration of Drogheda Borough Council, but is not part of Co Louth. Drogheda is a Meath/Louth town whether the people of Drogheda want to hear it or not - sure the M1 By-pass was built by Meath CC, as was the N51 Mell bypass. In recent years, there has been a strong determination of many in Drogheda to affiliate itself soley to Co Louth. They even want a significant extension into Co Meath as if we in East Meath simply don't exist.

Now, the people of Drogheda would do very well to remember that the last time when unemployment was high (1980's, early 1990's), Drogheda had more people unemployed than a certain county with 4 times its population - in short the people of Meath went through many years of suffering high taxation which paid for unemployment blackspots throughout the country like Drogheda - and to think of the disgraceful roads that we in Meath had to put up due to lack of funding!

Rant over! :mad:

Let me set the record straight here!

The area of Drogheda Town that is South of the Boyne is under the administration of Drogheda Borough Council, but is not part of Co Louth. Drogheda is a Meath/Louth town whether the people of Drogheda want to hear it or not - sure the M1 By-pass was built by Meath CC, as was the N51 Mell bypass. In recent years, there has been a strong determination of many in Drogheda to affiliate itself soley to Co Louth. They even want a significant extension into Co Meath as if we in East Meath simply don't exist.
    Rant over! :mad:

Thanks for the clarification :) I'm in East Meath ... I exist... .. I hope!..

With the announcement of the offices being taken above the shopping centre more units have opened (or are opening) now in Southgate.

Relish in Bettystown are opening a new unit, ad for staff was in Drogheda leader 2 weeks. A barber has opened, the new florist has moved to bigger unit. Dry cleaners supposed to be opening in next few weeks. The sign with butcher 'opening soon' opened before Christmas 09.

I noticed Dunnes seem to have lower prices last few weeks than advertised in the national papers. One giveaway is the Easter eggs, 'A' frame advertising board has €1.40, they have covered the .40 so easter eggs are €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭ALS

SOUTHGATE BARBERS

Dropped into Southgate today with my 5 year old son to check out the barbers and boy was I impressed .
    Lovely new shop decked out in Walnut , couple of flatscreens to watch the footie , couple of lads ahead of me in the queue so was offered tea/coffee on the house :).
    Cracking haircut, lots of attention to detail (bay rum , cut throat on the neck to finish , complimentary use of Crew product , and hot towel to freshen up afterwards , could'nt fault the place.
    My young lad enjoyed watching his Disney movie on his cool kids chair ,not sure he realised he was getting his hair cut :).
    22 euro for the pair of us ,we will be back,
    Great to see local people giving great service in a local shop .
    Keep up the good work . . .
    Thanks for the heads up Mylow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

22 squids for an adult + child haircut? A bit steep no?

Advertisement