Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which one would you choose?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a car later this year, and I reckon I'll have around €18-22k to spend. I want something easy to live with but fairly interesting, and something that'll be as happy crawling into town at 2mph as it is overtaking on rural roads. Obviously I don't want to spend the earth on tax and insurance either, if I can avoid it.

I've so far narrowed it down to;

2007 Civic Type S (Can't afford 08, they didn't come to Ireland til 07 apparently)

2005 ish Golf GTI

2006-07 ish Golf GT

2003 ish BMW 3 Series Coupe

2002 ish Honda S2000

2005 ish Mazda RX8

Can you let me know what you'd go for out of the above, and / or if there's anything else worth considering along similar lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

mark 4 rather than a mark 5 golf.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All the above will be quite expensive in terms of either, fuel economy, insurance, servicing, or to a lesser extent road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dark_prince

2005 ish Saab 9-3 Aero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

minxie1 wrote: »
    mark 4 rather than a mark 5 golf.....

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

dubmick wrote: »
    why?
    performance am not sure, but they look terrible.... personally speaking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

2005 ish Saab 9-3 Aero

Are they based on the Vectra? I had a Vectra as a hire car (pretty sure it was 2005 actually) and didn't think too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

minxie1 wrote: »
    performance am not sure, but they look terrible.... personally speaking....

The MkIV was heavy, not particularly quick and handled poorly, all important factors of a hot hatch. The MkV on the other hand is a well accomplished hot hatch.

Back on topic.

OP, most of the cars you list are aimed at different markets so it is difficult for anyone here to choose one over the other based on what you want or need. The best thing to do is test drive as many of them as you can and then decide which one you can live with the best.

Cionád wrote: »

Absolutely daft I know, but I'd be put off by the badge. If I ever see one on the roads I think highly of the driver, but I'd never buy one myself. It's stupid, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The running costs on all those would worry me.

For that money your could have one of these, fast and frugal and nearly new...

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/(S(ae2gqu45vvr50ov2h2wrrwbd))/Search/VehicleDetails.aspx?vehicle=193226&diesel=yes

• Advertisement

The running costs on all those would worry me.

For that money your could have one of these, fast and frugal and nearly new...

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/(S(ae2gqu45vvr50ov2h2wrrwbd))/Search/VehicleDetails.aspx?vehicle=193226&diesel=yes

I must admit, the more I look into the RX8 (my favourite from the list at the mo), the more the mpg puts me off. I won't be doing big miles, but it would bother me to get 16mpg urban.

I like the Focus a lot, I've had a couple as hire cars and they're a joy to drive. I just want something a little more interesting I suppose. I was considering a second hand Focus ST, but they're very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Running costs of a Civic type S won't be bad. Its the same 1.8 litre i-VTEC engine that's in the 5 door Civic. I get about 40mpg out of mine. Tax is the problem. On an '07 you'll be on the old tax system so it will cost about €570 per year to tax it. On the new system it would only be €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

spav wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a car later this year, and I reckon I'll have around €18-22k to spend. I want something easy to live with but fairly interesting, and something that'll be as happy crawling into town at 2mph as it is overtaking on rural roads. Obviously I don't want to spend the earth on tax and insurance either, if I can avoid it.

I've so far narrowed it down to;

2007 Civic Type S (Can't afford 08, they didn't come to Ireland til 07 apparently) - Soft version of Type R, not magic, same league as Golf GT

2005 ish Golf GTI - Good car by all means

2006-07 ish Golf GT - Soft GTi, matter of preference between it and Type S

2003 ish BMW 3 Series Coupe - Which one?

2002 ish Honda S2000 - Fairly hard core 2 seater, very competent when worked, not very practical, reliable, tricky close to limit.

2005 ish Mazda RX8 - A little cramped, but more practical than S2000, 231 version the one to go for, needs a little care to own regarding Rotary engine, but by all accounts a well balanced car, by far the most thirsty in the list though.

Can you let me know what you'd go for out of the above, and / or if there's anything else worth considering along similar lines?

See above, what are you looking for more specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I must admit, the more I look into the RX8 (my favourite from the list at the mo), the more the mpg puts me off. I won't be doing big miles, but it would bother me to get 16mpg urban.

Do your sums. Depreciation is probably going to cost you a lot more than petrol over the lifetime of the car...

I'd probably got for the Rx-8.

But I think the GTi fits your needs out of that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Honda Civic Type S or Golf Gti. Both will hold their value, and are fun to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

BMW 320d, go!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would have thought that crawling along in traffic might make the RX8 one of the least suitable cars? The GTi sounds like a good option.

Biro wrote: »
    See above, what are you looking for more specifically?

Thanks for that.

I suppose what I want in a nutshell is a car that's relatively affordable, easy to live with, not too run-of-the-mill, fun to drive and nice to look at. Basically a hot hatch or a soft-ish sports car. I'm happy enough to sacrifice some practicality (i.e. 2 seats, high-ish tax, low-MPG) for a car I can love, but then equally I don't want something that turns into a real headache to own.

My favourite 2 from the list is the Golf GTI and RX8. My one concern with both is longevity - I can only really afford examples that are 3 years old with mid-miles, and I'd really need to keep it for 4 or 5 years.

The s2000s I've seen tend to have lower miles, possibly because they're often a second car - perhaps that tells its own story. I'd be looking at 1.8 or 2.0 BMW coupe, but I'm cooling on that idea a bit.

The Type S is on the list as it's a fairly practical choice - I've seen 2007 models with under 10k on the clock iro €22k. Similar story for the Golf GT, think I prefer the Civic.

The only other car I've considered is the Mazda MX5. They're great fun to drive, but I think they might be a little basic to live with long term.

I don't know if a BMW 320 would really compete with many of the others on your list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

well for me its the newer golf option. i always rather a newer car than a done up older one. it looks better for image imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My head would go with the Golf GTI, there a good car I used to have a 03 one..haven't drove the new one....

I'm surprised you haven't considered a sylvia it seems missing from the list...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Sylvia/SPEC-R/1123376/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Civic Type S.

Good fuel consumption, residuals and not too many around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

RX-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thanks for that.

I suppose what I want in a nutshell is a car that's relatively affordable, easy to live with, not too run-of-the-mill, fun to drive and nice to look at. Basically a hot hatch or a soft-ish sports car. I'm happy enough to sacrifice some practicality (i.e. 2 seats, high-ish tax, low-MPG) for a car I can love, but then equally I don't want something that turns into a real headache to own.

My favourite 2 from the list is the Golf GTI and RX8. My one concern with both is longevity - I can only really afford examples that are 3 years old with mid-miles, and I'd really need to keep it for 4 or 5 years.

The s2000s I've seen tend to have lower miles, possibly because they're often a second car - perhaps that tells its own story. I'd be looking at 1.8 or 2.0 BMW coupe, but I'm cooling on that idea a bit.

The Type S is on the list as it's a fairly practical choice - I've seen 2007 models with under 10k on the clock iro €22k. Similar story for the Golf GT, think I prefer the Civic.

The only other car I've considered is the Mazda MX5. They're great fun to drive, but I think they might be a little basic to live with long term.

If you're going for the BMW, go for a 325, or some other 6 cylinder model. You'd be going back a few years though.
    MX5's are fantastic to drive alright. You'd possibly get the new shape one with the 1.8 for the upper end of your price range.
    Looks like you're down to GTI, Civic, RX8 then. Depreciation will be heaviest on the RX8, but they are nice. Probably best to drive out of that bunch too. Civic most sensible, slowest, most comfortable, cheapest to run. GTI between both of them.

Just thought of another one - would an Alfa GT be an option? Nice handling, plus an excellent diesel engine.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Just thought of another one - would an Alfa GT be an option? Nice handling, plus an excellent diesel engine.

I had assumed that they'd be out of my price range - just checked there and they're much cheaper than I had thought. That's a good option, ticks all the boxes anyway.

Some very handy advice there lads, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Honda Accord 2.2L diesel....comes higly recommended after just getting a 2005 model - still haven't figured out how much it actually does to the gallon but it's supposed to be around 55 with motorway driving (I do 82 miles a day mostly on motorways). The toys you get for the price are incredible...
    e.g. http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=1676172

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Focus St170?
    Handles better than a Golf Gti.
    Almost as quick.
    Well kitted out even in standard trim.
    Less common.
    Way cheaper.

Worth a look but you may have to go to the uk to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I would buy the s2000 without a shadow of doubt!

Advertisement