Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dysart - what's going on?!?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

How come the website is still up with no mention of any changes or cancellations?
    someone told me it's now going on in the Kilford Arms car park?!
    what's the story?????:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tiketmaster are still selling tickets for the vent in the Castle..

The Kilkenny People says its going ahead but limited numbers as of July 31st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 roller66

yea.apparently kilford car park with blind boys of alabama headlining-jools holland is history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The festival itself in Thomastown is cancelled. A small number of the artists will be performing around the city at the weekend but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why'd they cancel it?

Officially "the stage is sinking" but it wasnt even erected by the time the cancellation was announced. Its really down to poor ticket sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's also been mentioned that a valid licence hadn't been acquired for the event in the first place.

Either way, its degenerated into a bit of a shambles. The revised event is taking place in the Kilford Arms Car Park with the comedy portion going on in Club 51.

Of the glut of 'boutique' music festivals that have sprung up over the last year or two, who would have thought that Kilkenny's own boutique music festival would take place in the car park of the Coo? Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Rumours were that the Prince concert in Croke Park was also cancelled due to poor sales as well. Dolly Parton at Nowlan Park was half empty by all accounts.

If the Dysart cancellation is down to poor ticket sales, I hope it's a lesson learned, and we will see prices drop for future events. However it could go the other way and we might see artists not coming to Ireland in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Nightwish wrote: »
    Officially "the stage is sinking" but it wasnt even erected by the time the cancellation was announced. Its really down to poor ticket sales.

That is quite a disappointing turn of events, a very artistic town Kilkenny is. I would have hoped that there would be a great turn out, considering the event is only held once a year and does garnish so much interest. I did read that they were limiting the amount of ticket sales to 5,000 this year because of ongoing disputes with the local authorities and concerns for the safety of those attending. And as of right now they have not fully reached the full quota of ticket sales. There is no doubt that there is a terrific service down there, as from what I have been reading the shuttle service from Kilkenny to Thomastown is a great service to have. Next year hopefully the event will be much more properly organized and will encourage more acts to attend the festival.It might pick up....hopefully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DerryRed wrote: »
    Dolly Parton at Nowlan Park was half empty by all accounts.

To be fair, the weather was very bad and Dolly struggled with her performance as did many other events around the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

bad ticket sales, they were saying it was supposed to be in the back of the kilford arms but apparently the kilford heard nothing about it!!! shambles!!

• Advertisement

It seems to have been terribly ran, which is an awful shame because as I said it sounded like a brilliant gig. There were problems last year I remember as the company I am with were supposed to film the arts festival in Kilkenny but unfortunately an aspect of it (traditional Irish music) got canceled a week before we were due to go down. An awful shame as I believe Kilkenny City is a beautiful place, as the whole county is too. Let's hope for much better planning in next year's event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

A lot of concerts have been having problems selling tickets of late. Money's tighter than it's been for years, there are more concerts to go to and perhaps the line-up was weak. Also, because of the appalling summer we've been having, people tend to wait til closer to the concert/festival date and checking the weather before committing to buying tickets.

Out of the people I know, only the few from Thomastown actually bought tickets. Anyone else was waiting to see what the weather was going to be like before committing themselves to a day in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 roller66

denman
    dysart has nothing to do with kk arts fest and there was no aspects of kk arts fest cancelled last year

Hi roller66

Thanks for that. I am sure you are right regarding no events having been canceled last year. We were asked to go down to Caislean ui Cuain to film Traditional Irish Music. It just happened to be scheduled around the time of the Kilkenny Arts festival and not directly part of it. My apologies. We were contacted quite late regarding it and unfortunately didn't get the chance to go down. One of the fiddle players is based in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

I still think €40 a ticket is to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kilkennymusic

In case you didn't hear, there is no outdoor venue (as previously advertised)

The whole thing is taking place indoors with the acts going to Club 51, DJs in O'Faoileans. Not sure where the comedy is going.

We've covered as much as we can on kilkennymusic.com and I'll be heading over there at some stage today to see what the craic is.

If you’re keeping track of the Dysart Festival website, it looks now like everything is taking place indoors at the alternative venue that is the Kilford on John Street.

The press release earlier in the week read

The event will take place across three areas of the hotel including Club 51, the largest nightclub in Kilkenny, O’ Faolains bar with its 16th Century Church interior, and the main stage outdoors in the grounds of the hotel.

However, changes spotted today on the site remove the outdoor main stage area.

The festival will go ahead on August 9 and 10 but at a new location in the heart of Kilkenny City at The Kilford Arms Hotel on John Street. The event will take place across two areas of the hotel including the main stage at Club 51, the largest nightclub in Kilkenny and O’Faolains bar with its 16th Century Church interior.

Looks like there’s still no additional changes to the festival lineup with The Blind Boys Of Alabama headlining Saturday and Republic Of Loose / John Martyn headlining on the Sunday.

General admission tickets are priced €40.

from here:http://www.kilkennymusic.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hmm. That €40 ticket is looking like less and less value

I'm only interested in seeing John Martyn I would have liked to see the blind boys but can't do 2 days up there,

• Advertisement
Advertisement