Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tow bar for VW Golf

Options
  • 05-08-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

I need a tow bar on my VW Golf for infrequent towing of light boat & trailer. Is it a big job to get one ? What price can I expect to pay ? Are there "temporary" options ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You can figure around €300 for a fixed one or €500 for removable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

You can figure around €300 for a fixed one or €500 for removable.
    got mine fully fitted, all electrics for 250, in tuam:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

minxie1 wrote: »

For a beginner, what are "all electrics" ? Is this just the connection for trailer lights ?

For a beginner, what are "all electrics" ? Is this just the connection for trailer lights ?
    yip.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Try to get one that does not involve cutting the rear bumper of the car to fit it or it will reduce the cars reasale value to about €2.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Try to get one that does not involve cutting the rear bumper of the car to fit it or it will reduce the cars reasale value to about €2.:D

Complete rubbish, the cut is tiny (not even on the painted bit) on the rear bumper of a golf and if you really wanted to strip towbar off the car for resale you can get the lower valance off a scrappy.

I recently sold my golf for good money with the towbar on it. I too was only towing a small boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ferris wrote: »
    Complete rubbish, the cut is tiny (not even on the painted bit) on the rear bumper of a golf and if you really wanted to strip towbar off the car for resale you can get the lower valance off a scrappy.

I recently sold my golf for good money with the towbar on it. I too was only towing a small boat.

Dead right, I wont buy a car unless it has a towbar on it!

call mcCabes (sp?) in portlaoise they will give you a good idea of price/options etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Are there "temporary" options ?
    Why would you want to remove it? I know it mightn't look pretty, but think of the advantages - like people not driving 2mm from your back bumper :).

By the way, what are the legal requirements for trailers in terms of speed, lights, insurance, etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

Towfit will come to your house or place of work to fit it.
    1850 511651

www.towfit.com

Legal Requirements.
    Trailer must have lights. Max towing capacity is (as in all cars) stated in the owners manual in the specifications section.

minxie1 wrote: »

I am in Mayo myself - what is name of garage in Tuam ?

I am in Mayo myself - what is name of garage in Tuam ?
    mg garage, lavally tuam...pm if you need number :D

In the end, I got a McCabe towbar fitted in local garage in Mayo, Eur 200 including electrics.

Thanks for tips

Advertisement