Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligentsia Group Buy

• 05-08-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Hey Brothers and Sisters (Eclectic),

Here's what I suggest: It is possible to buy Intelligentsia Beans directly from them online. They only ship with UPS (2 day) though, so the shipping is relatively expensive. However, this is somewhat of a sliding scale. If for example someone were to order 10lb of beans, it would only work out around €15/€16 per lb. This would be in line with what you might fork over to Ariosa on a Saturday morning.

What I'll suggest is that we need at least 5 people (incl myself) to buy at least 2lb each.

If some people order more than others I'd suggest shipping is split proportional to weight of ordered goods.

The logistics will be a bit tight, ideally I will take delivery of the order, and we will meet that evening. Then everyone has the freshest possible beans to use.

I suppose Paypal would be the handiest method to use as well. Only problem is they shave a little off the top, so we'd need to adjust for that.

The one other caveat, is that we could get stung for customs (UPS are fairly good at this). Should this arise the bill would be split proportionally as well.

have a look at the store here http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/store

1. RE*AC*TOR
    2. Mr Magnolia
    3. hshortt
    4. kencleary
    5. SeaSide

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Count me in. You can put me down for at least 2lb. I'll take 3/4lb if we're short 1 or 2 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Great idea Reactor - if I didn't have a shedload of beans in the press from recent birthday presents at the moment I'd jump at the chance, but I better pass up. Fair play to you for organising it comrade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I'll join! :)

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Great idea Reactor - if I didn't have a shedload of beans in the press from recent birthday presents at the moment I'd jump at the chance, but I better pass up. Fair play to you for organising it comrade :)
    No probs.
    hshortt wrote:
    I'll join! :)

Cheers

\0/

• Advertisement

Oh RE*AC*TOR, is it safe to assume you're ordering the black cat blend?

I plan to order for myself 1lb of Black Cat and 1lb of Kid-O blend. And maybe another bag of something filtery...

But we can order any combination we like, if you fancy some of the other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Excuse the ignorance, but why is this gear so special?

Intelligentsia, alonside Stumptown probably pay the most money (per lb) for their beans in the world. Geoff Watts, the director of coffee, and head purchaser for Intelligentsia is a serious celebrity in the coffee world.
    The Black Cat espresso blend, if you read any of the US coffee forums is obscenely popular, and it's the blend Mark Prince over at coffeegeek uses for all his testing. Basically it kicks ass.
    I was hesitant to buy into this hype, until I recently tried it. It really is very special (so are some of the other ones I tried from the US as well - but Intelligentsia we can buy from).
    If I had the money, I'd probably set up a standing order to have a bag or two of beans delivered each month to me indefinitely. Now I realise I'm building this up beyond all possible expectations, but bottom line for me, is that Black Cat is probably one of the best espresso blends in the world, Kid-O is supposed to be great also, but I haven't had it (yet). If you want to try one of these (or some of their filter stuff) this is a way to do it, which won't burn a huge hole in your pocket.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Ok put me down for 1lb of Black Cat and 1lb of Kid-O blend too please :)

As an aside never bought so much roasted coffee before - anyone know where I might be able to get air tight jars that would hold a full lb of coffee?

• Advertisement

kencleary wrote: »

Done.
    As an aside never bought so much roasted coffee before - anyone know where I might be able to get air tight jars that would hold a full lb of coffee?

Home Store & More, Arnotts, House of Frasier, a lot of the big department stores will do em.
    So will places like Stock, Kitchen Complements etc.

Some of the bigger TK Maxx's with the kitchen departments probably will too.

Right here's the calculation:

If 5 of us order 1lb of BC and 1lb of Kid-O

It ends up at €32.80 each (according to Xe.com)

€16.90 per pound

If we do it by Paypal - add €1.50 on to that - €34.30

€17.15 per pound

By the way - make sure you check out the site - there may be other things you are interested in getting. Also they can be bought in half pound bags as well. So you could get half pound of black cat, half pound of kidO, half bound of summer solsitce, half pound of whatever. Would only work out as slightly more expensive (same shipping cost).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

OK you talked me into it too. ditto to above for me

right - that's 5.

So do we give it another 24 hours and see if anyone else wants to get on, or do we just plow ahead with the 5?

If we order now, we might have it by Friday.

Entirely up to you.

My hopper will be empty around friday though :pac:

Friday??!! hmmmm wasn't expecting to get it till next Friday. Having some for this weekend would be nice but i'm not too pushed either way! Happy to leave it in your capable hands Reactor.

ORDERED!!!111!!!11

I'll PM you guys my paypal address thingy.

w00t!

Also, what'd you order for me? :o

oh crap - I assumed you were going for 1lb of BC & 1lb of Kid-O

If this is wrong - I can contact them to change it...

• Advertisement

:D No, that's perfec. Look forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Thanks for arranging this and going through the hassle. I've popped off my payment and will look forward to it. I'll have to source more containers too! haha

Cheers

Do post up here if you come across any good containers in town. I'm gonna go hunting myself later in the week assuming the weather picks up!

I've definitely seen them in Atlantic as well. I think they're fairly ubiquitous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I really recommend these containers from Lakeland in the UK.
    Shipping is pretty cheap and fast. These preserving jars are
    fully airtight and a design classic atthis stage.

I use very similar ones to those - although in an ideal world I'd have ones that didn't let light through.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

paint them black . . .

So don't keep us in suspense.......has our order shipped? :)

Here's the story so far:
    1. Placed the order.
    2. Realised that orders placed are roasted and sent the following day.
    3. Realised this might mean the beans are sitting in a sorting office over the weekend.
    4. Emailed Steve at Intelli and explained the situation.
    5. Steve said ok, we'll roast and send them today (yesterday), but in future don't be so naughty and check the roasting schedule.
    6. Asked him do they supply tracking numbers.
    7. He said yes, but "I don’t have access to your tracking number yet, but you should receive one within the next 24 hours. "

So I haven't gotten a tracking number yet, but I'm assuming they were shipped yesterday, and hopefully we're on course for Friday.

• Advertisement

Tracking number: *deleted* (actually just PM that to the guys)
    Should be here tomorrow.

Advertisement