Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intelligentsia Group Buy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I know there'd be an inclination to fully use up one bag before opening the other... BUT!

Really should have a crack at both ASAP so you can experience them at their peak. Then seal up the bags and put the beans, bag and all into air-tight jars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Will do. Have more containers now so I've a few different coffees on the go all at once. Have to start charging! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Absolutely delicious, really impressed. So very smooth and easy to drink.

I agree with you on trying them both ASAP. I've used the Black Cat so dat, I'll switch them out tomorrow and catch the organic espresso while it's so fresh.

A big thumbs-up.

Going to have to step away from the coffee machine, really enjoying the Black Cat.

Tried an ristretto just there, 21grams and let it flow for about 30sec poured around 30ml, so happy enough. It wasn't as sweet as I'd expected it to be, it was a different flavour to the espresso though. A little more of a smokey flavour to it, hard for me to explain. Organic espresso next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Must say that the Black Cat is very very good. Streets ahead of the Kid O.

Had some kidO myself this morning, and while it's very nice, it doesn't bowl me over like Black Cat. Still, i have a fair whack to get through yet.

I can't tell a great deal of difference between the Black Cat and the Organic Espresso Bean yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I couldnt tell you what makes a good bean but I know it when i get it

got a sweet smoky kind of note from kidO - maybe it's the nutty flavour described on the bag. Nice mouthfeel to it.

• Advertisement

The KidO isn't as good as the Black Cat, I'll still enjoy it though.

They're definitely not for filter coffee. It also loses so much in an americano too. I'll try a latte tonight for the sake of completion but the only way to drink either of these is in espresso form only as far as I'm concerned.

And so, the end is near....

Oh well.

i've a good bit left. Pulled a couple of absolute stunning black cat double ristrettos this morning. What a coffee!

I had 8 people round visiting last night, I switched the Black Cat out of the grinder and gave them the Kid O :o

They all really enjoyed it, they would have said that anyway though.

Well lads - have we a final verdict on the beans?

The Kid-O is almost gone on me now, Black Cat was finished a few days ago.

Kid-O is nice, no doubt. In fact if it was readily available here I'd have it regularly. However, I wouldn't rush to order it from the US again. Black Cat though.... Love the stuff. Makes me sad to think I can't just go round the corner and pick up some more.

I know people wax lyrical about Italians and espresso, but for me the US is where the best stuff is being done at the moment. OK it's much easier to get a good coffee in Italy, every street will have somewhere that does it well, but I don't think Italy has moved forward in the last 10/15 years (the so-called 3rd wave of coffee periods).

Intelligentsia, Stumptown, Counter Culture, Novo, Ecco may not be as recognisable to the masses (definitely not on this side of the Atlantic) as Illy, Lavazza, Segafredo etc but they are the guys pushing the envelope as of now.

On a related note - Square Mile Roasters have opened their online shop. This is the new company owned by Stephen Morrissey (Irish World Barista Champion) and James Hoffman (previous World Barista Champion). I ordered some beans from them last thursday and they would've been with me today had I been home for the delivery. Will pick them up tomorrow, and hopefully will have a report on the website by the weekend.

While they have greens remaining they are currently selling the blend that Stephen used to win the WBC, as well as some single origin stuff.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Well lads - have we a final verdict on the beans?

Loved the Black Cat, not as pushed on the KidO but I still enjoyed it, if I hadn't been comparing it to the Cat then it would probably have also been 'superb'. I've finished the Black Cat since last week, I'm wandering my way to the end of the KidO at present.

The most frustrating thing about the whole thing is that it isn't readily available here, from the first taste of the Black Cat I realized that was going to be foremost in my mind. I would certainly order again, I really couldn't say enough about the Black Cat.
    On a related note - Square Mile Roasters have opened their online shop. This is the new company owned by Stephen Morrissey (Irish World Barista Champion) and James Hoffman (previous World Barista Champion). I ordered some beans from them last thursday and they would've been with me today had I been home for the delivery. Will pick them up tomorrow, and hopefully will have a report on the website by the weekend.

While they have greens remaining they are currently selling the blend that Stephen used to win the WBC, as well as some single origin stuff.

Look forward to the report.

/takes the roaster from the press

• Advertisement

Black cat is/was something else. Really nice and I enjoyed it. The Kid-0 is good but just less so :)

I'm back to Fixx, then the Kid-0.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If another order is going ahead for the Black Cat blend then count me in. These are roasted whole beans right?

Aye - whole beans roasted to order.

I know people wax lyrical about Italians and espresso, but for me the US is where the best stuff is being done at the moment.

But it's still very hard to find a decent cup of cofffee in the US. Places that have gained a rep as having the best coffee in NY are selling really poor coffee that's either weak or stewed. One place I used to have breakfast in sold pretty dull coffee but had "gourmet" coffee for an extra 10 cents :D:D or espresso. I tried the espresso but it was literally undrinkable.
    The best coffee I had there was in the apartment from a bog standard filter machine using coarse ground Lavazza - no initial taste but a lovely full/sweet aftertaste.

Italy may well not have moived on but it's hard to get a bad cup there all the same.

Aye - whole beans roasted to order.

If it's possible count me in, I'll happily pay you upfront.

• Advertisement

Your average coffee will be better in Italy than the US - but I reckon the best in the US is better than the best in Italy.

No problem on getting in on the next round (assuming there will be a next round).

but I reckon the best in the US is better than the best in Italy.

Agreed, as you say Italy hasn't moved on in a long time. I can understand why though.

Advertisement