Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini bike shed/cover?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

So, after a few months of keeping the road bike in the living room, the executive domestic committee have unanimously voted for it to be banished to the back yard.

An appeal is not an option, so I bought a bike cover from CRC, and it kind of does the trick, but it's a pain in the hooters to put on and take off, and the snails have taken to crawling up the inside of it and using it as a jacks. I have a second bike on the way too, so would need another cover for that.

If anyone has any suggestions for an alternative I'd love to hear them. I've seen mini bike sheds for motorbikes, but they are way too big our small yard. I could possibly erect some kind of cover and attach it to the wall, better than nothing. Don't really have an option anywhere indoors, even with taking a wheel off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well the cheapest option, if you're somewhat keen with your hands is always going to be a self build. Even if it's just a frame made of 2x4 and a roof it should be fine. Perhaps consider a ground anchor to secure the bikes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

lukester wrote: »
    .... executive domestic committee ....
    How come everyone else's domestic committees work so much better than mine. I've been requesting a shed for a year now and I don't think there has been any movement! I obviously need more lessons in domestic dominance!;)

A big question is of course security, is your bike safe in the back yard?

An option might be those plastic things in B&Q, but from the picture below it's still quite a size.
    5060031210002_001i_v001_zp?&$230x230_generic$

A final suggestion might be to talk to the guys on the DIY threads. I've always found them full of brilliant idea's for problems in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

How come everyone else's domestic committees work so much better than mine. I've been requesting a shed for a year now and I don't think there has been any movement! I obviously need more lessons in domestic dominance!
    Ahem, I should have clarified that no mention has yet been made of the shed, but the committee has expressed a modicum of guilt at me having to cart my bike out in the rain. I'll have to milk that further for a while :D That B&Q thing looks like a very good possibility- thanks. The self-build option would be a runner if I wasn't a hopeless procrastinator and didn't have a ton of other more 'pressing' DIY tasks around the house. Security isn't really an issue, the yard isn't very accessible from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would go with a very simple lean-to

Head to b&q and buy one sheet of corrugated perspex.
    I length of 2*4 ( treated )
    A couple of angle brackets.
    5 good wall fixings - expanding type.

Use 4 fixings to hang the angle brackets. One slightly (1 inch is loads) below the other in order to create a run off for water off perspex.
    Use wood as struts to hold up corrugated sheet.
    Use fixing 5 as an anchor for your lock for the bike.

€30 - all in I reckon and the bike is anchored to the wall !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was thinking about this a bit alright. I reckon that a great, easy, space saving way is to dig a large hole in the garden. Line it with pond liner with some holes in the bottom for drainage Put down a timber frame into it and you can drop the bikes into it. Put a decent roof on it with a good padlock and it's fairly thief proof.

I thought about this as I was forced to dig large numbers of holes in a garden recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Verb wrote: »
    I was thinking about this a bit alright. I reckon that a great, easy, space saving way is to dig a large hole in the garden. Line it with pond liner with some holes in the bottom for drainage Put down a timber frame into it and you can drop the bikes into it. Put a decent roof on it with a good padlock and it's fairly thief proof.

I thought about this as I was forced to dig large numbers of holes in a garden recently.

That's fcuking genius! and if and when the world goes mad you could hide out in it! :D

Seriously though - great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Probably best only to do that if you live on reasonably high ground that's not prone to getting a bit flooded, but sounds like a class idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Great idea. Might be good to incorporate a moat or some kind of pit to catch bike thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

this months CPlus has a review of a wooden shed which is available in B&Q, designed for bikes. dunno if it's available in the irish ones though. if you go with a wooden one, I'd definitely be attaching a ground anchor though.

Advertisement