Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

License Question

• 05-08-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi I have my driving test on Aug 15th. I've been away for the past month and when I came home today I opened up a few letters and there was one from the RSA saying that my provisional license is due to expire. The letter came with an application for a learners permit.

So I checked my license and it expired on the 3rd. Does anyone know how this will affect my test on the day? Is it possible to apply for a 2nd provisional license?

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

You wont be able to sit the test with an expired provisional. Apply asap for a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

i think you might need to postpone your test*

*i stand very open to correction though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

it should only take 2-3 days to get a learner permit out, go to ur tax office asap and explain to them and ya should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Call the test centre and ask.

I know a friend who was in a similar position (albeit some time ago). He had an expired license going in to the test, and decided to tell the tester that he had sent his license for renewal rather than showin the expired one.

The tester would not do the test, but did comment that the test could have gone ahead had he shown the expired license and some evidence that he was in the process of renewing it.

... so give them a call and explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭OpenEnded

thanks for the replies. for some reason i had it in my head that after you get a learners permit, you have to wait 6 months til you can take the full test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

That is correct. But since you've already had a Provisional for longer than 6 months you've passed that time however you look at it. You don't need the 6 months on your current Permit, just your first Permit.

(I know this will technically be your first but the rule is to allow minimum 6 months of driving before your test.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That is correct. But since you've already had a Provisional for longer than 6 months you've passed that time however you look at it. You don't need the 6 months on your current Permit, just your first Permit.

(I know this will technically be your first but the rule is to allow minimum 6 months of driving before your test.)

The 6 month wait only applies to first "learner permit" holders. Those on provo licenses applying for "learner permits" are considered to be on their 2nd permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Javan wrote: »
    Call the test centre and ask.

I know a friend who was in a similar position (albeit some time ago). He had an expired license going in to the test, and decided to tell the tester that he had sent his license for renewal rather than showin the expired one.

The tester would not do the test, but did comment that the test could have gone ahead had he shown the expired license and some evidence that he was in the process of renewing it.

... so give them a call and explain the situation.

That is NOT correct. Under no circumstances will a test be conducted unless the relevant licence is valid.

Drop into your Motor tax office with all necessary documents, money, plus proof of upcoming test and you will be given the licence immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

My first provisional licence is about to run its date. how do i apply for a new one? whats the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

J_R wrote: »
    Under no circumstances will a test be conducted unless the relevant licence is valid
    +1
    Antigone05 wrote: »
    My first provisional licence is about to run its date. how do i apply for a new one? whats the process?
    How did you manage to apply for your 1st provisional licence?

Much as we like to be helpful here, we have to draw the line at spoon-feeding people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

is there a different process for a 2nd provisional? can i get the form online?

got my first one through the motor tax office, just looking for help

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

The 6 month wait only applies to first "learner permit" holders. Those on provo licenses applying for "learner permits" are considered to be on their 2nd permit.

You're very good at saying what I'm trying to! Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Antigone05 wrote: »
    is there a different process for a 2nd provisional?
    No, and it's a second Learner Permit - Provisional licences haven't been issued since last October.

Antigone05 wrote:
    can i get the form online?
    Some County Councils provide it online but they shouldn't as it's supposed to have an adhesive part.

It's a D201 form and it's available from your local MTO or Garda Station.

Advertisement