Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother thinking of getting a Bichon Frise - advice?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,

This isn't a query for me, but for my Mam who is widowed and alone in the house and looking for a bit of company.

She's thinking seriously of getting a Bichon Frise (don't ask me why this breed appeals but that's the one she's leaning towards).

She's 65 so company for the dog wouldn't be a problem as she's there all the time. Also, grooming wouldn't be a problem - she would quite enjoy that I'd say, sitting down with the dog every day and grooming it and petting it.

She's mainly looking for a companion, who'll sit with her on the couch and won't shed all over the gaff.

But we know very little about them other than that and I thought I'd try to find out more.

Google is spectacularly contradictory, for example. One site says that they need a good bit of exercise, and another says that they need very little. One site says they bark very little except when something strange happens, and another says that barking is a genuine problem with this breed.

Honestly, all they seem to agree on is the amount of grooming time. It's impossible to really get an idea of what she'd be getting.

She has bad feet so whilst she could walk the dogs down to the shops every day, she woudn't be going on big walks. And though I think she'd tolerate barking, I personally think a breed prone to barking would be the wrong choice for her - she does like a bit of peace and quiet. That's what she really wants a dog for - a nice quiet companion.

Can anyone help me get more of an idea of what a BF would really be like to live with. Yeah, I know all dogs are different and stuff, but at the moment we haven't a clue what they're like in general at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi trio being a dog groomer i have had alot of experience with Bichon Frise. I think a female Bichon would be ideal for your mam. The males tend to pee around the place. Any Bichon i have had never barked! They do require alot of grooming because they do not shed. If you mam has the time to groom this breed i would go for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

We've had a male down home for about 10 years and he peed for Ireland. He's a grand pet overall, gotten a lot quieter with age, quite boisterous at the beginning. The coat can be a pain but we really don't have the time to groom him properly so we keep it short. Our cousin had a female and she's got a lovely quiet personality so I'd recommend a female for an elderly lady. My cousin's BF got stolen though so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

hi there i would recommend you get a bichon.I have a 10 month old male and he is the best ever .He does pee a bit but he is veery quiet and great company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A walk down to the shops and back won't be enough for most dogs no matter what the breed. Perhaps she should think of getting an older dog one that is used to being in the home and is just looking for a home where it can snuggle up by the fire and potter around the garden and have the occasional stroll to the shops.

Perhaps an older rescue dog would be an idea. Bichons can have health issues so you would have to be very careful that you pick a good and experienced breeder. Don't go for a puppy as they will need a lot of work and walks to work off their excess energy. There are other breeds that shed very little, my mothers terrier mix has very very short hair and she sheds like mad, my small semi longhaired mix hardly sheds at all.

A good rescue can match a dog to her needs there are some that take in loveable oldy dogs that still have plenty of years left but just want the comforts of home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭piscean

I would definately recommend a bichon - we had one as a family pet for 13 years and he provided us with years of entertainment.
    They are small dogs so a walk down the the local shop would suffice and maybe a longer walk every once in a while.
    Bichons do require a bit of care with the grooming and regular vet checks like most toy dogs.
    When I do get my own dog it'll definately be a bichon Cuddles Part II.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

A walk down to the shops and back won't be enough for most dogs no matter what the breed.

Isn't that a bit of a broad statement? What about chihuahuas? :P

Thanks everyone for your feedback - sounds like they're grand easy enough dogs. Will report back to herself and we'll see when she wants to get the ball rolling!

Advertisement