Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal issues around raising rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Just move out if you are that unhappy.

One way are the other regardless of everything both parties have legal rights.

She can raise the rent. The market value for rent is very subjective so you have little chance of not paying the increase. Effectively the rule is so the landlord can't double your rent in order to get you to leave is really all it is for.

The property remains hers and if she cares not to keep it to a standard you want then you leave she doesn't have to do it. No point moaning

No matter what her tax affairs are like it means nothing to you.

If you can't claim tax back it has nothing to do with her as you need nothing from her in order to do so.

In saying all that sounds like she is not running her business very well but like a shop if you aren't happy with the service don't purchase off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Just move out if you are that unhappy.

One way are the other regardless of everything both parties have legal rights.

She can raise the rent. The market value for rent is very subjective so you have little chance of not paying the increase. Effectively the rule is so the landlord can't double your rent in order to get you to leave is really all it is for.

The property remains hers and if she cares not to keep it to a standard you want then you leave she doesn't have to do it. No point moaning

No matter what her tax affairs are like it means nothing to you.

If you can't claim tax back it has nothing to do with her as you need nothing from her in order to do so.

In saying all that sounds like she is not running her business very well but like a shop if you aren't happy with the service don't purchase off them.

As I know, all true, but circumstances make some easier to deal with than others.

Moving out is not a desirable option right now, as our circumstances are such that our location and living arrangements are ideal.

I gave as much detail as I thought necessary to get an informed answer, so apologies if it came across as moaning. At the end of it, we are well settled and dont make much money so I'm just trying to make sure we get a fair deal - the place is more then just a service to us at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

efla wrote: »

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/Pdf%20files/Constitution%20of%20IrelandNov2004.pdf

Article 45.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_en.pdf

Article 15.

I think that is an illegal clause. They cannot justify that clause when they offer such a low rate of payments. They have no statutory basis for doing this. There might be some justification if they were paying you something above minimum wage. I would just ignore it, personally. But you would obviously need to get your own advice and make your own decision.

Good luck with getting the best deal you can on the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thanks, i'll do my best!

Advertisement