Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebookers.ie: rip-off merchants

Options
  • 05-08-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

I've always considered this lot to be ludicrously overpriced and would rarely even check the site. I just happened to check yesterday for a return flight to Tokyo next year.

Price from ebookers.ie: €980.13
    Price from ebookers.fr: €687.42

These prices are for the exact same flights outbound and return via Amsterdam with KLM.

And before you ask, the French price is genuine and available as I've booked it.

I've emailed them for a comment...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

thats interesting as theres no vat on air travel hence there should be no difference at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bottle of Paddys Irish whiskey made in Ireland costs €17 here..

Fly the same whiskey to Germany and it'll only cost you €7..

No surprise your getting ripped off. Costs have gone out of control in this country, ebookers probably have a lot higher running costs in Ireland...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's probably the same web server doing the Irish and french sites as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I've emailed them for a comment...

don't forget to email them a story about our economy collapsing ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Bottle of Paddys Irish whiskey made in Ireland costs €17 here..

Fly the same whiskey to Germany and it'll only cost you €7..

No surprise your getting ripped off. Costs have gone out of control in this country, ebookers probably have a lot higher running costs in Ireland...

Thats different on a number of items: Labour costs and running costs are more here and also the tax/VAT on the bottle of whiskey is different in the 2 countries. However, ebookers are all from same office and no vat on air travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Of the total cost less than €10 goes to ebookers, the bulk of it is the fare for KLM so running costs shouldn't be an issue.

The Irish site is hosted in Chicago and the French one in London!
    don't forget to email them a story about our economy collapsing ...

With a clip of George Lee in full flow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lets start a new game to see who can get the biggest difference.

I looked at booking Dublin to Tokyo from Sept30th to Oct31 return

ebookers.ie: Cheapest 1121.57
    ebookers.fr: Cheapest 747.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

the same happens when you try to book a rental car through Hertz - the prices for the same car, same location etc varied by as much as 80 Euros, depending on whether you booked in on the German site, Irish site or UK site...

Pays to shop around in different countries...;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Stenaline too .. different price on Dutch and Irish site, was about 40 euros difference on 280 euros when i checked it out. Cheapest in the end was booking on the UK site and paying in Sterling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

why not just book direct with the airline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

why not just book direct with the airline?

Because you don't have the same search options if your dates are flexible and, more importantly, how do you know which airline is going to be cheapest on a given route for a given trip.

I use a combination of kayak.com and easyvols.fr usually.

Advertisement