Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Tourist Things To Do In Galway

Options
  • 05-08-2008 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

What is there to do for Galwegians in Galway (besides boozing) ?

Museums etc are for the tourists. What kind of clubs are there in Galway. (eg) I saw a book club mentioned somewhere.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Work.

Where did you migrate from kellyreilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Swim in the River Corrib (Try not to drown or i'm sending an invoice to your next of kin for 'recovery' :eek:) - Preferably NORTH of the Weir :D

Join a Kayacking Club (been meaning to do this myself)

Join a Scuba Diving Club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

In Galway there are two options
    1. Work very little and wash rarely and devote any free time to drinking buckfast by the spanish arch
    2. Work far to much and take out a massive mortgage to pay for a ridiculously priced house in taylor's hill and embrace a life of pretense
    Chose wisely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

JOIN A PUB/CLUB/SOCIETY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

There's an rc model club and rc flying club if your into that sort of thing. Racing on Sundays.

There's also a normal flying club at the airport.

You could also fly kites but the Galway isn't great for buggying or skating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

HOW DO I JOIN A PUB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Unenlightened

Come play giant chess at Salthill...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Giant chess? I like the sound of that ;)

Golf is also an option - there are pitch and putts, drivering ranges and a number of courses in galway with resonable prices.

Just missed the tag rugby season though connacht is about to start playing again so you could always attend the matches - first is a friendly this saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Museums are for everyone OP, go learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Art_Wolf wrote: »

Golf is also an option - there are pitch and putts, drivering ranges and a number of courses in galway with resonable prices.

Galway Boards Pitch and Putt FTW!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Museums are not only for tourists, any more than libraries, galleries, cinemas, theatres, aquariums, concerts, scenic walks, beaches, woods… try visiting some of the above and you might find that you have a little more imagination. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ooh go to the bewick exhibition thats on,can't remember the name of the gallery but there are lots of signs up.Some of her stuff is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Actually the Museum is now used as a place for teenages to drink their buckfast as it offers some protection from the rain :)
    It should really be called the Boozeum as the only time anyone is in there is for the free wine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Museums are for everyone OP, go learn!

Definitely. I've actually gotten far more out of museums when I lived in a city and got memberships to go check out stuff at leisure than when I was attempting to blow through a giant museum in a couple hours of a hungover afternoon on tour.

Granted, it was a bigger city with bigger museums. I'm not sure the Galway museum would exactly warrant membership ;)

Advertisement