Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citylink New Coach Station

Options
  • 05-08-2008 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi
    For someone not from Galway, can anyone tell me where Fairgreen Road is?
    Citylink's website says this is their new bus station location and I'm trying to get an idea where about it is located and how far away it is from the Bus Station in Eyre Square.

I tried locating the address on Google maps but no luck. If someone could point it out on the map that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Its at the end of forster street, just across the road from where habitat used to be. (Down the hill from the back of the bus station) Its big and shiny so you won't miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stand outside the bus station and you’ll see Garvey’s Hotel (kip! I was night porter there once)

Turn right and walk about 300 metres and you’ll come to the Galway Tourist Office.
    That’s the junction to Fairgreen Road.
    You could walk around the back of the bus station too this is easier.

Citylink used to operate out of the carpark opposite the Tourist Office so I’d imagine this is where it is.
    Either way you're on the right road.

If you get lost just ask someone to point you to the tourist office, everyone knows where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Great, thanks to both of you.
    I know where the tourist office is so I haven't too far to get lost :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Interesting,this must be the first private Coach Station in the country.Is it big..?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Interesting,this must be the first private Coach Station in the country.Is it big..?
    It's a 20m wide clearing beside the road. It's no more a station than I am Michael Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Robbo wrote: »
    It's a 20m wide clearing beside the road. It's no more a station than I am Michael Douglas.

I see,a nice marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Nope - it's that big fat shiny new building across the road from the tourist office.
    Where the old Fairgreen car park used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

it is a station and it is fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mr. Douglas! Long time no chat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mr. Douglas can I have a go of your wife? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Mr. Douglas! Long time no chat :pac:
    Has it been open long? It's been quite some time since I've taken a bus.

As Maggie said, it's a sign you've failed in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭coillcam

Used it today heading up and down from Rochfortbridge, I used Nestor and it was a much quieter bus than citylink and also spanking new so props to Nestor in fairness.

It's impressive, kinda like a very compact version of busaras imo. It's the 2 essentials for me, seats and heat. So no more standing out in the cold and pissing rain waiting for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

It is quite impressive, but I wont be back there in a hurry. Got the city link from the airport back to galway a couple of weeks back NEVER AGAIN. It stopped in every hole in the road along the way. I didn't see motorway once. This coupled with jet-lag was not fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

It is quite impressive, but I wont be back there in a hurry. Got the city link from the airport back to galway a couple of weeks back NEVER AGAIN. It stopped in every hole in the road along the way. I didn't see motorway once. This coupled with jet-lag was not fun at all.
    It's a bus, its a public service. Course it stops. At bus stops. Which aren't on motorways. They don't hide this anywhere, its quite well known :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I thought Citylink had an express service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

jeez, get a car :rolleyes:

m83 wrote: »
    jeez, get a car :rolleyes:
    With petrol at these prices? no thank you! I refuse to become a pawn to the oil companies
    The service was express on the way up but not on the way down. It was worse then anything I have experienced on Bus Eirann

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

With petrol at these prices? no thank you! I refuse to become a pawn to the oil companies
    The service was express on the way up but not on the way down. It was worse then anything I have experienced on Bus Eirann

Walk next time so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Fly Aer Arann to Galway! And then get a over priced taxi home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

kayos wrote: »
    Fly Aer Arann to Galway! And then get a over priced taxi home...

I'be been doing that allot, [apart from the Taxi, i just ask for "how much to the center?" €25, no thanks, ;) ] i just get a lift from a freind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

But all the other busses stop in almost every village as well. Does Bus Eireann still have the pee break in Athlone? THAT used to annoy me, stupid people and their stupid small bladders.

Yip, 10 minute break in Athlone. Would have killed for that on city link

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

ugh!, that doesn't sound promising.

Which airport was it you were travelling to? I plan to get the 07:15 from Shannon airport to Galway. Looking at their timetable there aren't too many stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Vorrtexx wrote: »

Which airport was it you were travelling to? I plan to get the 07:15 from Shannon airport to Galway. Looking at their timetable there aren't too many stops.

They don't stop much on that route, and it doesn't feel that long either, very quite, been on the bus at time when it's been almost empty!! as in 3, 5 passangers !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Citylink is for proper people with good bladders :D Galway - Cork no piss break.

New coach station is great, no more waiting in the rain. Only room for 4 or 5 buses there but it does the job.

Didnt use it coming back up again, the bus was stuck in traffic near the old stop and everyone herded to the front of the bus so the driver let us off there :D

Vorrtexx wrote: »

The shannon route is sound. Have been on it a few times, no complaints. Thats why I was expecting a more direct service from dublin airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Wait, that's just for CityLink? Granted it's an improvement over their vacant lot, but I was thinking Galway was building a shiny new bus station for Bus Eireann as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tristanc wrote: »
    Wait, that's just for CityLink? Granted it's an improvement over their vacant lot, but I was thinking Galway was building a shiny new bus station for Bus Eireann as well.

Aye. Well almost. It's for Nestors et al as well.

Everywhere else in the world, and even a few places in Ireland, they've got the idea that common public transport hubs which are shared by all companies operating in the area serve everyone better.

(Hell, even Aer Lingus and Ryanair seem to manage to share airports in places!)

But here in Galway, we've built a shiny new bus station for the "private" buses, and someday in the never-never, CIE/Bus Eireann are going to build another shiny new station for trains and their buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The shannon route is sound. Have been on it a few times, no complaints. Thats why I was expecting a more direct service from dublin airport

Read the timetable a bit harder: some services are express, some aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Does anyone know of any express buses from Galway to Dublin? Ones that would take advantage of the motorways?

Advertisement