Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to fit a head gasket??

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Sadly the head gasket went on my 1999 opel astra the last day, i took it to a local garage to get it done, the head has to be skimmed an all that which i knew myself an theres a good 8-10 hours labour, now what i thought would cost roughly 500-700 euro is now costing me 900e, does this sound right or is he taken the piss?

cheers lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yep, it's always a pricey job... shop around though

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Main dealer, or independent mechanic? If its an independent mechanic, 900 sounds a bit steep. Although, with a timing belt kit, tensioners, new set of bolts, head skimmed, oil+filter, coolant and all that....if you use only genuine parts, 900 could be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Main dealer, or independent mechanic? If its an independent mechanic, 900 sounds a bit steep. Although, with a timing belt kit, tensioners, new set of bolts, head skimmed, oil+filter, coolant and all that....if you use only genuine parts, 900 could be about right.

Well hes kinda half on half, he does do great work in fairness so ive been told, cant see why the timing belt would have to be done though...then again my knowledge of an engine is fairly basic so i duno, i know for a fact skimming the head doesnt cost a lot

Well hes kinda half on half, he does do great work in fairness so ive been told, cant see why the timing belt would have to be done though...then again my knowledge of an engine is fairly basic so i duno, i know for a fact skimming the head doesnt cost a lot

They are taking off the belt to do all that work its usually recommend to replace the belt while you are at it.

i know for a fact skimming the head doesnt cost a lot

True. But, for the head to be skimmed, you have to take out valves. Which is not a difficult job, but a bit time consuming, you pay for the extra labour.

• Advertisement

ronoc wrote: »
    They are taking off the belt to do all that work its usually recommend to replace the belt while you are at it.

I see, sure the water pump wouldnt need changing if the belt is being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I just paid €180 for the head to be skimmed, 4 new valves and a new head gasket as my timming belt broke on me 1997 meagne.

I see, sure the water pump wouldnt need changing if the belt is being done?
    Well....actually, yes. They do recommend to change the water pump as well.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Well....actually, yes. They do recommend to change the water pump as well.

Thought that, the belt and pump were done though when i got it, around year and a half ago...

BabyEater wrote: »
    I just paid €180 for the head to be skimmed, 4 new valves and a new head gasket as my timming belt broke on me 1997 meagne.

Where you get it done, india??? should cost bare minimum 400e like, between labour and parts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

That does not include taking the head off or putting it back on yet. Still has to be done

BabyEater wrote: »
    That does not include taking the head off or putting it back on yet. Still has to be done

That still fairly cheap, still though, i doubt it very much your bill will amount to 900e goin by your prices so far

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

€900 would be about the going rate alright. It's a tricky job, so you're paying mostly for labour. My last car was a Daewoo Matiz (2000 reg), the head gasket went on it and I was ringing around to get quotes for it, and one garage actually said straight out "you'd be better off getting a new car, cos the repairs are going to cost more than what the car's worth!".

Toots85 wrote: »
    €900 would be about the going rate alright. It's a tricky job, so you're paying mostly for labour. My last car was a Daewoo Matiz (2000 reg), the head gasket went on it and I was ringing around to get quotes for it, and one garage actually said straight out "you'd be better off getting a new car, cos the repairs are going to cost more than what the car's worth!".

Crazy like, sad thing is i need the car badly so it looks like im guna have to fork out the dosh for it, regardless, apart from the obvious what is actually involved in changing the head, is there anything else besides the gasket and head that gets done?

Advertisement