Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Psychology

• 05-08-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I wonder if somebody can help me....

I am due to start a Pychology degree as a mature student this September, this is a 4yr evening only course in DBS. I plan to keep up my 'day job' during this time.

I understand further education is required for most fields within Psychology. My question is, is it likely you will get employment working as psychologist or trainee with just your degree?? I would ideally like to do this an then do my masters a couple of years down the line or even get sponsored by a new employer, is this common???

I can't image studying for 6 - 7 years all while keeping up my painful dayjob!

Any information really appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Its possible. I have friends from college who went staight into jobs as Research Assistants etc, but its definitely really difficult, you pretty much need at least a 2:1 and the motivation to persist.
    My friends sister went into a Trainee Psychologist position straight away, where the people she was working for funded her Doctrate. But thaats in London, more opportunites there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's very very difficult to get an assistant psych job in Ireland. There are so few of them and competition is so high...the same applies to clinical postgrad courses.

OP I think you're being very optimistic thinking you can complete that degree in 4 years part-time as well as working a fulltime job.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Vicious cycle: Need psych degree for professional job, can't get professional psych job without degree. Start your degree with non-psych job, shop around and find a gopher job in psych to build experience, progressing up the ladder of psych job relevance towards professional.

Advertisement