Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceannt Station

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:07pm

Does anyone have any information on the new bus depot in Galway? Is it solely for Bus Eireann buses, or City Link buses, or both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

This one? - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055349356

If its that one, Ive only seen city link in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Ceant station is the CIE bus/train station. There is a plan for redevolpment. Here is what the interweb has to say about it
    Proposed Galway Ceannt Station Redevelopment
    Rail and bus services to and from Galway are set to expand dramatically under the Transport 21 investment programme, funded by the Irish Government. By 2015, rail demand is projected to increase as a result of the enhanced services from 1.25 million journeys through the station annually to 3 million. Bus passengers will also more than double from 1.8 million to almost 4 million.
    A new transport hub at the heart of Galway
    To cater for these new and enhanced services and growth in demand, it is proposed that Ceannt Station will be developed into a world-class transport interchange for the West of Ireland in the heart of Galway city.

The integrated facility will enhance rail capacity through the development of three platforms, allowing for Intercity and Commuter service expansion.

A total of 25 dedicated bus bays will be provided at the interchange to facilitate the expected increase in bus passengers.

As well as enhanced public transport links to Ceannt Station, approximately 500 parking spaces dedicated for public transport users will be available, and enhanced set-down facilities for cars, and rank facilities for taxis will also be provided.

The design proposed for the Interchange is in keeping with the great European ‘cathedral’ stations, with a vaulted roof structure to give a customer-friendly environment maximising light and space. Buildings such as Berlin’s new train station and London’s British Museum have utilised this approach to dramatic effect.
    Ceannt Station Quarter – a new Urban Quarter for Galway

The project also presents a unique opportunity to create an exemplar of urban design in this most cosmopolitan yet distinctly Irish city. This will deliver to the people of Galway a new city quarter which will complement and enhance the existing Galway City area.

A vibrant, mixed-use quarter is envisaged, encapsulating:

* Cultural and community facilities
    * New homes in the City including social and affordable housing
    * New squares and pedestrianised zones
    * Urban retail and commercial facilities, to enhance the economic development of the city, and provide employment
    * Leisure facilities, to benefit the city and wider West of Ireland region
    * Restaurants, hotels and bars, boosting the social and tourism infrastructure of the city and region
    * Existing protected structures, will be preserved and incorporated into the new Ceannt Station Quarter
    * High quality, environmentally sustainable urban design, with energy saving technology

Ceannt Station Quarter will be a crossroads in the city of Galway, linking the medieval core of the city with the harbour front.

The land use and planning policy framework for the development of Ceannt Station Quarter are supported by a range of national, regional and local guidelines and plans, including:
    # National Spatial Strategy 2002 - 2020
    # Regional Planning Guidelines for the West Region 2004
    # Galway City Development Plan 2005-2011
    # Galway Transportation and Planning Study 1999 and Integration Study 2002
    # Retail Strategy for Galway City 2002
    # Retail Planning Guidelines for 2005
    Update

CIÉ in engaged in ongoing extensive public consultation with all stakeholders and members of the public with an interest in the project. Public Information days have taken place at the Hotel Meyrick, Galway on 13th and 14th March and at Galway City Library, St Augustine St on 17th and 18th July.

Please download the presentation material on display at our July consultation – (click here)

For those unable to attend or those wishing to submit further comments on the proposals, communication can be made in the following ways

By email:
    galwayredevelopment@cie.ie

By Post
    Galway Station Redevelopment Project Office
    Architects Department
    Track & Signals HQ
    Inchicore Works
    Dublin 8
    from cie.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Lets face it, the space for an extra rail platform and bus depots can be better put towards providing more space for retail outlets which will make us all fatter and richer and which will house complete sh1te which we don't need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Actually I saw the plans for this somewhere and it looked pretty good. There is a whole stack of land owned by CIE around the train/bus station going all the way along the train tracks out to LoughAtaila. The whole area is going to get a redevelopment and it's badly needed. The train station is just ok but the bus station is a joke and there is zero parking.

I heard some of the crusties were giving out about it ruining the unique architectural heritage of Galway or some such lark. This has only served to confirm my initial feelings of positivity about the whole project.

Anyway more pubs can't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I reckon this project might be out on hold for a few years what with the credit crunch, consumer sentiment, developers going under, etc.

Galway has missed the boat on a lot of retail developments if you ask me - Athlone and Limerick, even Castlebar (!) are streets ahead (literally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Rediculously large jpeg
    from cie.ie
    Sorry about the size

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does anyone have any information on the new bus depot in Galway? Is it solely for Bus Eireann buses, or City Link buses, or both?

It is for Nester and CityLink mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I saw the plans for this in the library a few months ago. It was one of those 'public consultations' that are hardly advertised and scheduled on a weekday afternoon. I came across it totally by accident. There were a few architects and CIE spokesmen in attendance, and it was clear that they saw the supposed consultation as the presentation to the public of a foregone conclusion.

The plans were not very impressive. They included lots of retail space, luxury flats and a couple of new hotels, and not a great deal in increased transport capacity or other public amenities. I asked one of the suits how many of the flats were earmarked for social housing. As far as I remember, he said 10% 'if the city council can afford them'.

I asked him why the area needed more hotels when there were already several in the immediate vicinity, e.g. the Radisson, the Meyrick and several on Forster Street. 'The development needs to pay for itself,' he said.

But, I argued, CIE's purpose is to provide transport for the people of this country, not to make money from private developments. Do we not already pay taxes for essential public needs such as transport? Why are we being encouraged to approve the privatisation of a public resource? CIE is partly owned by the government, our elected public servants, and therefore indirectly by us, the people. Why should this land be used to profit hoteliers and property speculators?

By this time the suit was looking uncomfortable. And how does this proposed design allow for integration with any future light rail network such as has been proposed for the city? 'It doesn't,' he said and beat a hasty retreat.

Don't believe the hype. This development, if it goes ahead, will be a victory for developers and private capital over public needs, just like the late, apparently lamented tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

GIGANTIC PHOTO
    I say old bean, you couldn't make it a tad larger could you? The missus and I are currently enjoying a Pimm's on the sundeck and can't quite see it in the lounge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

padraig71 wrote: »
    I saw the plans for this in the library a few months ago. It was one of those 'public consultations' that are hardly advertised and scheduled on a weekday afternoon. I came across it totally by accident. There were a few architects and CIE spokesmen in attendance, and it was clear that they saw the supposed consultation as the presentation to the public of a foregone conclusion.

The plans were not very impressive. They included lots of retail space, luxury flats and a couple of new hotels, and not a great deal in increased transport capacity or other public amenities. I asked one of the suits how many of the flats were earmarked for social housing. As far as I remember, he said 10% 'if the city council can afford them'.

I asked him why the area needed more hotels when there were already several in the immediate vicinity, e.g. the Radisson, the Meyrick and several on Forster Street. 'The development needs to pay for itself,' he said.

But, I argued, CIE's purpose is to provide transport for the people of this country, not to make money from private developments. Do we not already pay taxes for essential public needs such as transport? Why are we being encouraged to approve the privatisation of a public resource? CIE is partly owned by the government, our elected public servants, and therefore indirectly by us, the people. Why should this land be used to profit hoteliers and property speculators?

By this time the suit was looking uncomfortable. And how does this proposed design allow for integration with any future light rail network such as has been proposed for the city? 'It doesn't,' he said and beat a hasty retreat.

Don't believe the hype. This development, if it goes ahead, will be a victory for developers and private capital over public needs, just like the late, apparently lamented tiger.

Why are they even trying to do it! if they can't even afford it, if they really
    want to do it at all, get the French or Swiss to do it, design, build, manage! they will do things right!!,

We can't build infrastruture, all we can do it rip each other off!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Look at that big boy on High Street in that big photo!! CIÉ are publicising Galway with that photograph..

Padraig71, i knew about the public consultation event and that it was mainly a longterm money-making exercise for those developing the station and environs. Michael D bought it up at the time and he was severely criticised for objecting to the plans but he has stuck to his guns that these plans on (semi)state land aren't the best for Galway.

Dunno what stage it is at now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

padraig71 wrote: »
    I saw the plans for this in the library a few months ago. It was one of those 'public consultations' that are hardly advertised and scheduled on a weekday afternoon.
    Bog forbid they may actually get some input or constructive criticism from the great unwashed. They get a nice lunch, tick the 'talk to the people' box and continue mis-spending our money and driving this country into a big wall.
    Don't suppose renewable energy, or any modern (1970s) technology is incorporated into the designs? No? Too far-fetched[sighted]? Won't seel alongside contemporary cardboard boxen?
    And someone needs a new yacht.
    But, I argued, CIE's purpose is to provide transport for the people of this country, not to make money from private developments. Do we not already pay taxes for essential public needs such as transport?
    Apparently not enough.
    Why are we being encouraged to approve the privatisation of a public resource?
    Because it worked so well in publicly scorned, privately loved Mother Britain, whose policies are unconvincingly aped by our 'betters.
    CIE is partly owned by the government, our elected public servants, and therefore indirectly by us, the people. Why should this land be used to profit hoteliers and property speculators?
    Who paid for the elections?
    Who grease the cogs of government for the benefit of the almighty stakeholder?

Just like, seemingly, everything else since time immemorial.

But sure why should I object, "It doesn't affect me" :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its not going ahead for years in the current fiscal climate but thats as good an excuse as any not to do anything with Ceannt in the interim.....which interim will last a good ten years :(

kevmy wrote: »
    Actually I saw the plans for this somewhere and it looked pretty good. There is a whole stack of land owned by CIE around the train/bus station going all the way along the train tracks out to LoughAtaila. The whole area is going to get a redevelopment and it's badly needed. The train station is just ok but the bus station is a joke and there is zero parking.

I heard some of the crusties were giving out about it ruining the unique architectural heritage of Galway or some such lark. This has only served to confirm my initial feelings of positivity about the whole project.

Anyway more pubs can't be bad.

Yeah, great. Its public land and they are building more retail bullsh1t on it instead of providing what they should be providing on that land; PUBLIC spaces and investing in transport first and foremost. People arriving into Galway - 'City of Culture' and 'Cultural Capital of Ireland' will see nothing to that effect except for a little art gallery 'corner' obscured by some ignorant SPAR shop no doubt. 0.1% of the development is being used for any kind of cultural development.

Instead about 25% of the development will be sold off to sh1tty little shops and bars, the likes of which you'd see in the most bland, boring cities on earth for the sole reason of making the developers more money. As if we need any more of that crap in Galway...but hey then again maybe I'm just one of the crusties (sic) you speak of :rolleyes:

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Yeah, great. Its public land and they are building more retail bullsh1t on it instead of providing what they should be providing on that land; PUBLIC spaces and investing in transport first and foremost. People arriving into Galway - 'City of Culture' and 'Cultural Capital of Ireland' will see nothing to that effect except for a little art gallery 'corner' obscured by some ignorant SPAR shop no doubt. 0.1% of the development is being used for any kind of cultural development.

Instead about 25% of the development will be sold off to sh1tty little shops and bars, the likes of which you'd see in the most bland, boring cities on earth for the sole reason of making the developers more money. As if we need any more of that crap in Galway...but hey then again maybe I'm just one of the crusties (sic) you speak of :rolleyes:

Obviously the primary concern here should be the redevelopment of the train and bus stations. Both are badly needed. Above all that should be the main focus. However after that you have a huge tract of land which at the moment is sitting idle. In my opinion (and most other people's) it is a good idea to make use of that when doing up the area around it.

More retail outlets are needed in Galway. How often do you hear complaints on here about the lack of decent shopping facilities near the centre of town? As for pubs and restaurants, they are the best way of getting foot traffic through an area while keeping a relaxed air about it. Also I reckon more people come to Galway for the relaxed party atmosphere than for the 'Cultural Capital' ****e that some people seem to believe it is. Both of these will also add much more to the economy than a few auld gallerys that no one will go to.

If you don't see all of that then maybe you are one of those crusties who have chosen to make Galway there home

Obviously the primary concern here should be the redevelopment of the train and bus stations. Both are badly needed. Above all that should be the main focus. However after that you have a huge tract of land which at the moment is sitting idle. In my opinion (and most other people's) it is a good idea to make use of that when doing up the area around it.

Yes, redeveloped as a Public space that everyone can use...playgrounds, maybe even a park, open up the whole area. Why not? Have cafes and shops around that instead of the dull money orientated design they have come up with. The problem here is that the redevelopment of the bus depot and train station are NOT the main focus - making money is. Letting out small, retail units seems to be a massive concern
    More retail outlets are needed in Galway. How often do you hear complaints on here about the lack of decent shopping facilities near the centre of town?

Eyre Sq shopping centre, Shop st, Edward Sq, the area around Debenhams. In fact there are even more areas being developed for this. If the chamber of commerce can't attract decent shops to Galway thats their probelm, not the amount of space and area already dedicated to it in the city. Why have retail outlets in a train station on public land? For no other reason than for greed and profit. Don't kid yourself that these guys are somehow providing a service for the people of Galway by providing more shops and pubs ffs.
    As for pubs and restaurants, they are the best way of getting foot traffic through an area while keeping a relaxed air about it.

Great lets turn Galway into even more of a haven for drunken stag parties and Hen do's. You really, really believe that Galway needs more pubs and niteclubs?!
    Also I reckon more people come to Galway for the relaxed party atmosphere than for the 'Cultural Capital' ****e that some people seem to believe it is. Both of these will also add much more to the economy than a few auld gallerys that no one will go to.

Huh? I presume you've heard of the Galway Arts Festival. Galway is rightly considered a city world-famous for the Arts. The Arts festival alone brings a great amount of revenue to the City. People come to Galway already in their droves for the 'relaxed party atmosphere'...How any Galwegian could want more stag and hen do's arriving into the city is beyond me. The tourist sector is already self sufficient while the Arts will be left to die on its arse turning Galway into another bland city, famous for having a piss up in ala Newcastle....great
    If you don't see all of that then maybe you are one of those crusties who have chosen to make Galway there home

I was born and live in Galway city and love the city more than anywhere else. All you see is an opportunity for developers and fat cats to make even more money while turning Galway into a sh!thole...maybe you're one of these people who would like to develop every public space into more bars and restaurants so that YOU can make money?? If you are and you're a Galwegian, then shame on you.

Edit: I've just noticed you're from Mayo...?! Who the feck are you to complain about anyone else making Galway their home?? Crusties (sic) included...

Yes, redeveloped as a Public space that everyone can use...playgrounds, maybe even a park, open up the whole area. Why not? Have cafes and shops around that instead of the dull money orientated design they have come up with. The problem here is that the redevelopment of the bus depot and train station are NOT the main focus - making money is. Letting out small, retail units seems to be a massive concern

It's a very large area so unless it is made into something like a public sport centre then playgrounds and a park won't fill it. Something else is needed to fill the space along with playgrounds and parks. The train station redevelopment should be the main focus. If it's not they've already failed.

Eyre Sq shopping centre, Shop st, Edward Sq, the area around Debenhams. In fact there are even more areas being developed for this. If the chamber of commerce can't attract decent shops to Galway thats their probelm, not the amount of space and area already dedicated to it in the city. Why have retail outlets in a train station on public land? For no other reason than for greed and profit. Don't kid yourself that these guys are somehow providing a service for the people of Galway by providing more shops and pubs ffs.

People continually mistake CIE's land for 'public land' and making some profit as greed. In slowing economic times the fact that CIE are trying to help pay for their redevelopments should be commended not condemned. Once they don't interfere with the no.1 priority of the train station. It will take alot of money to redevelop and the land isn't great which just makes it more difficult.
    CIE are semi-state not state owned, there land belongs to them not you are me. They can do with it what they want once the keep within planning regulations. I'm not a massive shopper I'm only repeating and acknowledging what the shoppers want. A lot of those centres are long established and it can be very difficult for any new store to get prime territory

Great lets turn Galway into even more of a haven for drunken stag parties and Hen do's. You really, really believe that Galway needs more pubs and niteclubs?!

It certainly needs more niteclubs. People greatly exaggerate the number of stag and hens coming to Galway and there effect on the town.
    Huh? I presume you've heard of the Galway Arts Festival. Galway is rightly considered a city world-famous for the Arts. The Arts festival alone brings a great amount of revenue to the City. People come to Galway already in their droves for the 'relaxed party atmosphere'...How any Galwegian could want more stag and hen do's arriving into the city is beyond me. The tourist sector is already self sufficient while the Arts will be left to die on its arse turning Galway into another bland city, famous for having a piss up in ala Newcastle....great

Sure the Arts festival is great everyone enjoys it and it brings big acts to Galway as well as promoting indigenous talent. Fact is that it is only on 2 weeks of the year and many of the performers (rightly) spend alot of time preparing for it. During winter Galway can be far from an Arts haven. I would also add that a relaxed party atmosphere for Galway is essential in helping it pull off the Arts fest so successfully. Also this atmosphere is mainly made by students and young workers in the city not by stags/hens. If the students left this town or decided not to go out it wouldn't be long dying. Just imagine a town like the one that exists for the couple of weeks between the students going and the tourists arriving
    I was born and live in Galway city and love the city more than anywhere else. All you see is an opportunity for developers and fat cats to make even more money while turning Galway into a sh!thole...maybe you're one of these people who would like to develop every public space into more bars and restaurants so that YOU can make money?? If you are and you're a Galwegian, then shame on you.

Edit: I've just noticed you're from Mayo...?! Who the feck are you to complain about anyone else making Galway their home?? Crusties (sic) included...

I won't make any money out this certainly but once something like this is done correctly (and I'm more than willing to say they could well fcuk it up) it could be a great benefit to the city. People also reckon that any new large development is all about 'fat cats' making money. Well here a shocker, people have to make money to live. Ignore the shopper, the tourist, the average Sat evening reveller, the student and you will lose money and the place will be shut down and end up worse than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The thing is, you know it's going to be a 7 story concrete-and-copper monstrocity to get in a tesco express, BurgerKing, NEXT, RandomChainStore close to the consumer centre.

All I've gotten from this thread is that there's going to be alot of peripheral development.
    What actual transport infrastructure improvements are being proposed/rubber stamped?
    Carparking?
    Secure bicycle facilities?

The exclusion of any provision for light rail, and precious mention of buses makes me think they've failed to plan for future infrastructre integration.

Above all else, any new design should have 'How can we help you leave the car at home' in its main criteria.
    Anything less is myopic.

I won't make any money out this certainly but once something like this is done correctly (and I'm more than willing to say they could well fcuk it up) it could be a great benefit to the city. People also reckon that any new large development is all about 'fat cats' making money. Well here a shocker, people have to make money to live. Ignore the shopper, the tourist, the average Sat evening reveller, the student and you will lose money and the place will be shut down and end up worse than before.

You are missing the point completely. This is a redevelopment of a train station and bus station for Galway city. The first priority is to serve the public and to serve the publics main needs in the city. It should put the development of public transport solutions as a priority, and reserve land for such vital infrastructure ahead of any commercial development of hotels, shopping precincts and luxury city centre apartments, which are all being mooted for this site. This would be in the publics best interest. That is the bottom line.

The fact that 25% of the site is being used for commercial interests is a joke regardless of what shops/nightclubs or whatever you think Galway actually 'needs'. Galway deosn't need those things, it already has those things in abundance, why else would people continually come here from all over the country and beyond? What it needs is facilities and spaces that serve the public. CIE are semi-state owned but they still have a massive duty to the people of Galway to provide transport facilities as a priority, not retail. You'd see more of an effort from a fully private transport company towards public needs in any other country in the world, nevermind a semi-state company.

By the way, you say 'people have to make money to live' in relation to these developers...Believe me, the people who'll profit most from any commercial and retail development space on this Public land don't need any more money!

Let them build retail spaces and centres for shopping in suburb areas where the jobs are needed and can actually benefit the local communites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

How about maybe dual tracking to Athenry, getting commuter rail up and running including the new stations (Oranmore etc), getting the Bishop O Donnell road improvements done (incl bus lanes) and getting the Outer Bypass done before overly grand projects like all this are begun??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

Can non rail travellers park at the train station? I am going to be staying in Galway this summer a few days and was looking to park there as conventient and I know the area a little.

Advertisement