Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been offered work in the USA, but how do I get a visa?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am on a J1 at the moment with my visa running out in October. I have a degree in Communications & PR. I have been offered work in
    America starting in October for a casting agency (and acting work too), so the work is related to my degree. Just wondering if it is possible to get a visa when I am not highly skilled etc

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Would the company not be able to apply for the visa on your behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You'll need to speak to an immigration lawyer to see about getting a visa. You have a degree so that is something but can the job you have been offered not be filled by a US citizen? If it can then it will be a difficult job getting a visa and costly too. You'd be looking at about $4,000 lawyers fees and still that doesn't guarantee you'll get approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Thanks for the reply

It's a small casting agency who at the moment does not have any international workers so we don't know how to go about applying for a visa

All I can think of is that I'm Irish and that they need an Irish person for a certain acting role? Even so, that's not a very strong case!! Does going to school in America help with chances of living there on a long term basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a chat with a lawyer. If they are good they will find a way for you to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Ruu wrote: »
    Would the company not be able to apply for the visa on your behalf?

I think that is correct, the company would need to apply, probably as a temporary worker, details here:
    http://dublin.usembassy.gov/temporary.html

Also check the fine print on your J1 visa, many of them- but not all- have a 2 year home stay requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thanks for the reply

It's a small casting agency who at the moment does not have any international workers so we don't know how to go about applying for a visa

It looks like the company would have to apply for a H1B visa for you.

This is a work permit and is valid for 3 years and renewable for another 3.

The company would have to make the application through a immigration lawyer.

There is nothing you can do to speed up or increase your chances of getting the h1B, the company files all the paperwork.

That being said there may be other alternatives out there but i am not aware of them

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. This is a year later and I'm well back in Ireland, it's next to impossible to get a visa ha

Advertisement