Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red TDI what does it mean?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Ok can someone break this down for me

What does a silver T mean?
    What does a red T mean?

What does a silver D mean
    What does a red D mean

What does a silver I mean
    What does a red I mean

its been bugging me for years!!!

Cheers

1Love

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The more red, the more powerful the engine

there's

SDI -> TDI -> TDI -> TDI -> TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Does it have something to do with the compression rate or is it the turbo? I think on the fords if its TDDI the pressure is a lot higher than the normal TDDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 themaestro

It depends on what car your referring to but here is a good start:

TDI (All Red) is a 150bhp Diesel Engine

TDI (Red D, Red I) is a 130bhp Diesel Engine

TDI (Red I) is either a 115bhp or 110bhp Diesel Engine depending on the Year

TDI (All Silver) is a 90 bhp Diesel Engine

Basically buy a 150bhp which is all red, they are unbelievably quick for a Diesel Engine and the torque is savage. Then if your not satisfied with that Re-Map the ECU and you can hit 200bhp plus if done correctly.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Half the time it just means that someone with an all-red TDI badge knows how to use eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's all b0ll0cks. I've seen all combinations on all different VW's. Seen a Passat 100bhp with red DI and a 130 with red DI, and a 100 with just red I. All brand new off the truck. I've seen many other combinations depending on model and year too. I've seen red TDI on a Golf that was the 130, not 150. So you can't go by that.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    Half the time it just means that someone with an all-red TDI badge knows how to use eBay.

I've seen it on brand new cars varying, before anyone got to e-bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

themaestro wrote: »
    It depends on what car your referring to but here is a good start:

TDI (All Red) is a 150bhp Diesel Engine

TDI (Red D, Red I) is a 130bhp Diesel Engine

TDI (Red I) is either a 115bhp or 110bhp Diesel Engine depending on the Year

TDI (All Silver) is a 90 bhp Diesel Engine

close but no cigar

TDI (All Red) means the dealer/distributor had a few extra red letters that day

TDI (Red D, Red I) means the dealer/distributor had a few less red letters that day

TDI (All Silver) means the dealer/distributor had fook all red leetters that day

Ive seen 100pd tdis red with letters ive seen 150 pd tdis with all silver letters,letters mean nothing,the only true indicator is the log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

ninty9er wrote: »
    The more red, the more powerful the engine

there's

SDI -> TDI -> TDI -> TDI -> TDI

Eh that was the idea but the badges are all over the place.

Im going to try and explain this in the simplest way I can. I'll take the passat as an example.

I think this is how it was suppose to be:

Passat model 1997 - 2001 (B5)

TDI - 90bhp (Non PD engine)
    TDI - 110bhp (Non PD engine)
    TDI - 115bhp (PD engine) -->Late 2001 the only PD engine in the B5's

Passat model 2001 - 2005 (B5.5 - facelift)

TDI - 100bhp (PD engine)
    TDI - 130bhp (PD engine)

You will also see plain silver TDI on some passats of this generation I can only guess they are 100bhp.

Some people say the early 2001 face lifted Passats got the TDI badge to show that it had a PD engine but all the face lifted versions had PD engines.

Others you may see TDI - 150bhp PD engine available in the Golf and Bora, you may see GT before the TDI as in GT TDI but there is no such thing, as far as I know the GT was stuck on by the dealers to sell more or them due to the fact that people saw GT and immediately thought it was a TDI version of the GTI.

I know its confusing but you have a better idea now. The badges are so all over the place that they essentially mean nothing now!
    tossy wrote:
    the only true indicator is the log book

What he said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 themaestro

Well just to clear up the one about UK dealers and the GT badge. This badge actually refers to the interior of the car, as the GT TDI's are a normal TDI but with a GTI interior, i.e. Bucket Recaro's etc...... The bog standard TDI's we have in Ireland dont have upgraded interiors as do some of the higher spec UK cars.

caesar wrote: »
    Some people say the early 2001 face lifted Passats got the TDI badge to show that it had a PD engine but all the face lifted versions had PD engines.

My old man's 01 Passat had the red DI, and the 02 one just red I. Both brand new, so no one tampered with them, both 100bhp. So all rubbish as mentioned earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Basically it means you're free to get yourself some red touch-up paint and paint any of the three letters you like.

Be creative ...confuse people with a TDI

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Well I had the all red TDI on a golf and it was the 150, most of the time the description given by caesar is true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

You can buy them in halfords.They were even sold out of the last time i was browsing there.They will also sell you a "typeR" badge, presumably for a civic 1.4.Someone working there told me they are a best seller:D:DI wonder what sort of clientelle would buy those??.....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we have a service customer with an Avensis D-4D TDI Luna LX.

changes the car every year and every year gets the same badges....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Zonda999 wrote: »
    You can buy them in halfords.They were even sold out of the last time i was browsing there.They will also sell you a "typeR" badge, presumably for a civic 1.4.Someone working there told me they are a best seller:D:DI wonder what sort of clientelle would buy those??.....
    jaysus, which is funnier.. a 1.4 type r, or a red tdi 90bhp passat!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What about an M316?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

colm_mcm wrote: »
    we have a service customer with an Avensis D-4D TDI Luna LX.

changes the car every year and every year gets the same badges....

I've seen Luna Corolla's come from Toyota Ireland with Terra badges on them....ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

woo thanks for all the reply's.. I am buying a passat and just wanted to know.

But as you can well imagine today has been a bad day! awoke to my bank calling me saying there has been some unusual movents in my account and i have to go see them and then when i get in my car some one had busted my rear quarter window and stole my £200 jvc radio. on top of that teh window they broke will cost£150 to replace! if they broke the windscreen it would be cheeper! I swear they knew it when they done it!

Anyway picking the car up on Thursday (all going ok at the bank) it is a TDI Sport 130BHP highline sport int but only has a Red DI have never seen a red T in a passat.... yet (start>menu>firefox.exe>ebay.co.uk!)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

My dad had a green TDI.

Green is such a lovely colour on a car!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

isint ther some way of checking the power of the engine from the boot?
    seemly thers a plate with some numbers in where the spare wheel is, with the power in Kw i think.

that way you shouldnt be fooled by a 130 dressed up as a 150.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

jony1983ie wrote: »
    Ok can someone break this down for me

What does a silver T mean?
    What does a red T mean?

What does a silver D mean
    What does a red D mean

What does a silver I mean
    What does a red I mean

its been bugging me for years!!!

Cheers

1Love

It means you have too much time on your hands:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

kceire wrote: »
    isint ther some way of checking the power of the engine from the boot?
    seemly thers a plate with some numbers in where the spare wheel is, with the power in Kw i think.

that way you shouldnt be fooled by a 130 dressed up as a 150.

If the PDI is done correctly there should be a data sticker in the boot with the engine power quoted in kilowatts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Neilw wrote: »
    If the PDI is done correctly there should be a data sticker in the boot with the engine power quoted in kilowatts.

96kw is the 130bhp model, and 74 is the 100bhp one. The rest of info is on the sticker is handy too it has the engine code (which can also be used to determine the bhp) the transmission code, the model number of the car e.g. 3b3XXX denotes a passat, the options on the car comming from the factory as well as the VIN.

Zonda999 wrote: »

Well, I saw one on an Opel Zafira... so figure that one out! :D

mcwhirter wrote: »
    It means you have too much time on your hands:eek:

Ouch! But so true!

Just back from the petrol station and I saw two funny things you might like one a GTi TDI all todether and all red and also a 316 M. God I would love to print out a load of stickers saying "Not A" and stick them on BMW's who put M badges on. Not talking about the M-Tech just the loosers who wanna look like they have a M3/5. God!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know a guy who has a 130bhp but bought the all red tDi badge and then the engine blew and it was still under warranty and the stoopid foreman just looked at the badge and ordered a 150bhp engine. So this guy got an engine upgrade for free!

Just back from the petrol station and I saw two funny things you might like one a GTi TDI all todether and all red and also a 316 M. God I would love to print out a load of stickers saying "Not A" and stick them on BMW's who put M badges on. Not talking about the M-Tech just the loosers who wanna look like they have a M3/5. God!

Still by far the most annoying thing for me is the RS4 1.9TDI on the back of a lousy 100bhp A4 with a silly kit. Why put an RS4 badge and leave the 1.9TDI on the back? Kind of like saying "wow, I've a better car than an RS4 cause it looks like the RS4, just as fast and 1,000 miles to the gallon!". I really want to beat those plebs to a pulp. I also need anger managment courses... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Biro wrote: »
    Still by far the most annoying thing for me is the RS4 1.9TDI on the back of a lousy 100bhp A4 with a silly kit. Why put an RS4 badge and leave the 1.9TDI on the back? Kind of like saying "wow, I've a better car than an RS4 cause it looks like the RS4, just as fast and 1,000 miles to the gallon!". I really want to beat those plebs to a pulp. I also need anger managment courses... :D

Agree, I think the best cars are the ones with no engine size or spec on the back, keeps the car snobbery down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

you do know that m-tech bmw's come with the M and the 3 little lines after it? similar to this http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bmwxenon.com/partsmknob.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bimmerxenon.com/e39knob.html&h=413&w=605&sz=71&hl=en&start=15&um=1&tbnid=FVBFH-Bab9rezM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbmw%2Bm-tech%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den

my mam has an E46 318Ci and it has the M embroided steering wheel, boot badge, etc etc

fair enough if it had an M3 badge, thats stupid but you gotta understand cars before you slate them.

also the GT TDI is the diesel 150bhp model golf, so nothing wrong with that badging imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement