Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red TDI what does it mean?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

No i like to see what it is plus it means if you have a 1.6 you can just leve it blank and people think is a 320D or TDI or what ever. just stay with the stock.

Plus what bout the engine plastic top with the TDI it never matches the boot!

kceire wrote: »
    you do know that m-tech bmw's come with the M and the 3 little lines after it? similar to this

oh yeh I knew that and on the alloys its just the M3 guys. Idiots!

who wants some stickers to put on cars!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Having 'TDI' on your VAG vehicle means one thing:
    absolute license to drive like your car its the fastest motherf**ker ever made.

Seems so anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm loving this thread!

With regards to the bmw m's, I have a 5 series m sports which I'm guessing is the same as an m tech, and basically it is an m5 with a 2.2l engine in it rather than an average 520 with an m kit! The difference really is that it has everything the m5 has except the larger engine. What the general idea here I think is having the average joe soap with a badge tuck on the back that is pure obviously a fake! I think it would sooner devalue a car rather than create any interest!

I agree with what someone said above about it being classier to have no badge, leave something to the imagination, I like it! We get a lot of comments on our car - you know storu bud like the car sort of thing. I mentioned to Mr> smelltheglove before maybe we would do better removing the badge but he likes it as it is a genuine m sports. If I was to get the real deal though I'd go with no badge.

I did buy an integra before, a 93 with everything possible done to it, gorgeous car and it irritated me from the very start that it had a type r badge on it. I think the type r only came into curculation in or around 95? Could be wrong, as far as I recall being told there was an equivalent to a type r but mine certainly wasnt a type r! I had to laugh though at all the racer types who thought they knew everything about cars and genuinely believed it was a type r.

With the red tdi thing, we had an a6 with a red di, don't they come in stages red i, red di, red tdi, improving each time!

Nothing worse than being at the lights and a little souped up corsa revving to race you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

el tel wrote: »
    Having 'TDI' on your VAG vehicle means one thing:
    absolute license to drive like your car its the fastest motherf**ker ever made.

Seems so anyhow.

My car is a CDTI, so there;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I dont get the whole TDI thing... great its a turbo diesel just like every other diesel out there these days. The lower powered TDIs are actually quite slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

With regards to the bmw m's, I have a 5 series m sports which I'm guessing is the same as an m tech, and basically it is an m5 with a 2.2l engine in it rather than an average 520 with an m kit! The difference really is that it has everything the m5 has except the larger engine.

What a load of crap. Your car is not basically an M5. It's basically a 5 series, like every other, but with a few M-Tech upgrades. The M5 is a completely different car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

gpf101 wrote: »
    I dont get the whole TDI thing... great its a turbo diesel just like every other diesel out there these days. The lower powered TDIs are actually quite slow.

I know, you'd swear it was the holy grail of cars to have. I've seen an Avensis I think with TDI badge on the back.

My friend was looking at this and told me this story

He went to autoline insurance (newry) and he stuck a gt tdi all red on his even though it was a red i tdi and they said he had to insure it as a GTTDI all red or else he would be in breach of his insurance and they would pay nout!

cost him £5 on ebay
    cost him £200 on his insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I know a guy who has a 130bhp but bought the all red tDi badge and then the engine blew and it was still under warranty and the stoopid foreman just looked at the badge and ordered a 150bhp engine. So this guy got an engine upgrade for free!

Thats a great story IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

08-02-07_1314.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I'm loving this thread!

With regards to the bmw m's, I have a 5 series m sports which I'm guessing is the same as an m tech, and basically it is an m5 with a 2.2l engine in it rather than an average 520 with an m kit! The difference really is that it has everything the m5 has except the larger engine. What the general idea here I think is having the average joe soap with a badge tuck on the back that is pure obviously a fake! I think it would sooner devalue a car rather than create any interest!

I agree with what someone said above about it being classier to have no badge, leave something to the imagination, I like it! We get a lot of comments on our car - you know storu bud like the car sort of thing. I mentioned to Mr> smelltheglove before maybe we would do better removing the badge but he likes it as it is a genuine m sports. If I was to get the real deal though I'd go with no badge.

I did buy an integra before, a 93 with everything possible done to it, gorgeous car and it irritated me from the very start that it had a type r badge on it. I think the type r only came into curculation in or around 95? Could be wrong, as far as I recall being told there was an equivalent to a type r but mine certainly wasnt a type r! I had to laugh though at all the racer types who thought they knew everything about cars and genuinely believed it was a type r.

With the red tdi thing, we had an a6 with a red di, don't they come in stages red i, red di, red tdi, improving each time!

Nothing worse than being at the lights and a little souped up corsa revving to race you!

Sorry to break this to you buddy, but your cars is not just an M5 with a different engine, there is about €80K worth of component & technology differences between a 520 an M5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

08-02-07_1314.jpg

Now that is the business:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'm loving this thread!

Ha ha, thats pure rubbish....an M5 with a smaller engine :rolleyes:
    As was said you have a 5 series, prob a 520? with a few BMW m-tech add on's.
    Does your car share the same braking system as the M5, same suspension.....not a chance in hell.

I own btcc leon with a 1.8 litre engine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wow. thats a really rare car!:eek: It must be some one off car where Honda and Ford joined together. Realyl impressive!!:P

I'm really looking forward to the impending Ford Accord Euro R:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

is there such thing as a GTI? I've seen a '98 MKIV Golf with this badge spinning about my town a good bit? the owner said it was a 2ltr petrol?

As far as I know a GT(red)I is a 180bhp version as opposed to a 150bhp. I stand to be corrected on this (and probably will be) but thats how I always thought it was.

Steak wrote: »
    is there such thing as a GTI? I've seen a '98 MKIV Golf with this badge spinning about my town a good bit? the owner said it was a 2ltr petrol?

There is such a thing as a red I gti, it was the 180bhp 1.8t engine but it wasn't out in 98, only came out in 02 or 03 ifrc.
    There was a 2.0 gti sold in the uk, it was based on the old 8v 2.0 engine (dog) with 115bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

That car may say "gti" on the back but it is far from fast.I believe that car has the 115bhp 2.0 engine which is slow, unrefined and thirsty.the same engine as the one in the Mk3 GTi 8v version.Afaik, it was never offered in the golf GTi over here.Can anyone confirm that??Uk Import??

Zonda999 wrote: »
    That car may say "gti" on the back but it is far from fast.I believe that car has the 115bhp 2.0 engine which is slow, unrefined and thirsty.the same engine as the one in the Mk3 GTi 8v version.Afaik, it was never offered in the golf GTi over here.Can anyone confirm that??Uk Import??

Correct :cool:

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    Correct :cool:
    So the red I is actually slower.??

Lol, i'd say the two of ye are sitting beside eachother

Edit: bit slow posting, directed at Zonda999 and Neilw lol

So the red I is actually slower.??

It's prob just another stick on red I badge, the 2.0 is not a quick car. The 1.8t is a far better engine and also a quicker car.

There should be like police checks on these sort of things!

I say if you cant back it up eg Tax book or reg book the cops can rip of your signs with a plasma cutter! That will learn them cheep ebay youth of today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

ninty9er wrote: »
    The more red, the more powerful the engine

there's

SDI -> TDI -> TDI -> TDI -> TDI

As a useless bit of trivia, Touaregs and Phaetons always have silver TDI badges despite having access to much larger and more powerful engines then the rest of the range.

jony1983ie wrote: »
    There should be like police checks on these sort of things!

Funny u say that. I know a fella with a tdi Passat and he was getting pulled for towing a twin axle trailer with a 2 wheels drive car, so he stuck on a 4 motion badge and all is well:D

Matt Simis wrote: »
    As a useless bit of trivia, Touaregs and Phaetons always have silver TDI badges despite having access to much larger and more powerful engines then the rest of the range.
    I think the original post was a comparison on equal cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

themaestro wrote: »
    Well just to clear up the one about UK dealers and the GT badge. This badge actually refers to the interior of the car, as the GT TDI's are a normal TDI but with a GTI interior, i.e. Bucket Recaro's etc...... The bog standard TDI's we have in Ireland dont have upgraded interiors as do some of the higher spec UK cars.

Absolute nonsense.

This is a particular bug bear of mine,if you search my name and GT TDI you will find more than one reference,but one more time for the late comers

Firstly THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GT TDI

Recaros never came standard in any TDI apart from the anniversary which came with cloth recaros,you could NEVER get cloth recaros in any other TDI golf even as an optional upgrade,you could spec leather recaros on the 150 bhp golf as an optional extra.

The uprated GTI interior you speak of is in fact a highline interior with VW sport seats the same seats vw put in all highline spec golfs and also all GTIs after 2001 when stopped using recaro for standard cloth seats,the sport seats are not the worst but the are no recaro.

The GT was started by uk dealers as a sales gimic the badged highline golfs as GT,but when it took off the badged any golf the felt like it as GT,its a con.the closest you will get to a GTI spec is if you buy the 150 golf you will get the crap wood effect trim and a slightly lowered but still crap suspension.

As for the guy with the 520 which is the same car as the M5,there's a classic example of a guy who doesn't belong in the motoring section,you haven't a clue what you are driving.

your car would need the following to make it an M5

Brakes
    exhaust
    seats
    engine
    engine management
    gearbox
    steering wheel
    interior
    and around 250 bhp :D

Ok basically what I am saying is an M5 body with a 5 series engine etc - you get me, the car is lowered with the same body kit as the m5 and the same interior, staggered wheels rather than being a 5 series with a kit on it. It is basically the m5 inside and out on looks but the 5 series on drive - maybe I didn't go too much into detail on that.

I said this in response to another post where the poster was defending his mothers car as it was the m tech.

In my defence I was just trying to point out the differences, the issue with what posters here had was a basic car with a badge stuck on and what I was trying to do was diffrentiate between this and the upgraded m sports or m tech that is sold by bmw carrying all the m markings - get me now! God I'd love it if my car drove like an m5 but it doesnt and I wouldnt claim it does.

• Advertisement

Ok just noticed this also Brakes
    exhaust yes
    seats as far as i know they are, according to the garage
    engine no didnt say it was
    engine management
    gearbox
    steering wheel yes it is
    interior yes it is
    and around 250 bhp

jesus I'm sorry if your holiness does not think I belong in the motor section!

I'm not a guy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement