Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Red TDI what does it mean?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ok basically what I am saying is an M5 body with a 5 series engine etc - you get me, the car is lowered with the same body kit as the m5 and the same interior, staggered wheels rather than being a 5 series with a kit on it. It is basically the m5 inside and out on looks but the 5 series on drive - maybe I didn't go too much into detail on that.

I said this in response to another post where the poster was defending his mothers car as it was the m tech.

In my defence I was just trying to point out the differences, the issue with what posters here had was a basic car with a badge stuck on and what I was trying to do was diffrentiate between this and the upgraded m sports or m tech that is sold by bmw carrying all the m markings - get me now! God I'd love it if my car drove like an m5 but it doesnt and I wouldnt claim it does.
    The guy lied to you. Your seats are not the same as M5 seats. Your steering wheel is not the same either, the lack of the M button for one. Do you even have the paddle shift? The exterior is different, the styling is similar to the M5's, but things are actually different, like front bumper and wings. Suspension included. It's all different, there's more differences than sames. So give up on "my car is an M5 with a smaller engine".

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

tossy wrote: »
    Firstly THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GT TDI

Thanks taken back and now given to Tossy :D, I hate the way people blow on about the whole GT TDI thing.

gpf101 wrote: »
    I dont get the whole TDI thing...

Neither do I :o, I had different reasons for buying mine, it wasnt about the whole 'powerhouse' that they are (hope my sarcasm button is on :pac:).

Anyway as for badges in general its bad enough with the people in the 1.4 Civic type R's but when I see the likes of that Focus with the Type R badge it really pisses me off. It's almost as bad as a Punto with an M3 badge.

De-badging - I thinks thats more of a personal preference. If I had and 520 M Sport I wouldn't want people thinking its an M5, I keep the badge on, the 520 one that is - just so we're clear.

The TDI badge thing - well we all know they are all over the place to the point that they mean sweet **** all. Sure my own is wrong - but if you go by the logic that all the 2001 PD engine TDI's got the TDI badge then its right, regardless Im not putting a new one on at this stage. I could remove it but a buyer might think there is something wrong with it if it doesn't have the badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Biro wrote: »
    The guy lied to you. Your seats are not the same as M5 seats. Your steering wheel is not the same either, the lack of the M button for one. Do you even have the paddle shift? The exterior is different, the styling is similar to the M5's, but things are actually different, like front bumper and wings. Suspension included. It's all different, there's more differences than sames. So give up on "my car is an M5 with a smaller engine".

No need to go off on the wife man,and saying she doesent belong in the motoring section? I thought this was boards.ie we can belong in any section we like,but theres no need to be so bloody harsh.You never heard of being polite? It costs nothing?
    Anyway ive to go out now and drive the non m5 with no paddle shift possibly not the same seats,different bumper, wings crappy suspension and bogey steering wheel home now so i think we should get back on topic.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

some interesting posts here, I rented a Golf 'TDI' for a few days only to realise it was actually a 1.4 Petrol :)

I presume they put the badge on it intentionally to keep any boy racers happy when they came in looking for a Golf TDi..ah bless em.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No need to go off on the wife man,and saying she doesent belong in the motoring section? I thought this was boards.ie we can belong in any section we like,but theres no need to be so bloody harsh.You never heard of being polite? It costs nothing?
    Anyway ive to go out now and drive the non m5 with no paddle shift possibly not the same seats,different bumper, wings crappy suspension and bogey steering wheel home now so i think we should get back on topic.. :)
    I agree. We should back on topic and stop listening to Smelltheglove pretending to be his wife :P

• Advertisement

Anyway ive to go out now and drive the non m5 with no paddle shift { possibly Edit: No possibly about it!} DEFINATELY not the same seats,different bumper, wings crappy suspension and bogey steering wheel home now so i think we should get back on topic.. :)

Where did I say she didn't belong here? You're confusing me with someone else. There was more than one post correcting the misinformation spouted!
    I'm sorry if I came accross impolite, but incorrect facts need to be corrected. A bold statement needs to be backed up or crushed really, otherwise other people reading this might buy 520i's thinking they've an M5 without the engine, word gets out this is the case, and mass hysteria ensues on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

jony1983ie wrote: »
    woo thanks for all the reply's.. I am buying a passat and just wanted to know.
    jony1983ie wrote: »
    only has a Red DI have never seen a red T in a passat.... yet

(red T red D red I) in a B5 passat means it's 150bhp, but 2.5 V6 TDI.
    This is a passat I had a few years ago, but it was actually a PD130 fwd :eek:

PC040035.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

No need to go off on the wife man,and saying she doesent belong in the motoring section?

That was me who said that and quite frankly i'm sorry if i offended the wife but if she is gullible enough to believe the drivel the dealer spouted to her about her buying an M5 without the engine and then come on here to car enthusiasts and repeat it she deserves a little shaking up,she owns a M tech or sprot or whatever they are calling them these days 520 and nothing else.

Are S line TDI A4s RS4's without the engine?

Anyway sorry to go off topic again but i just wanted to clear it up,it was i who said she/you/he didn't belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

With regards to the bmw m's, I have a 5 series m sports which I'm guessing is the same as an m tech, and basically it is an m5 with a 2.2l engine in it rather than an average 520 with an m kit! The difference really is that it has everything the m5 has except the larger engine.

Wow guys I am shocked by all this. As much as I'd love to detail my m gear knob m steering wheel m steps suspension upgraded alarm system etc etc etc I have kids to look after that I think may just have more maturity than you guys.

Did you ever read the options lists???? The car has upgraded bloody everything on it so how the hell can you say that it doesnt have the wheels or the seats or the fact that the sales guy was lying????

How threatening is that now Tossy saying I deserve to be shaken up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

Wooo I think I may have open a bucket of worms!!!!

I say we get a sticky going with pics of the fakers in action like the Ford Type R previous!

As for the Passat (Nice)

Thanks for the update.

Getting mine tomorrow night fingers crossed!! Got the cash out today. Sleeping on it tonight so none of you can steal it! :)

1Love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Excuse my ignorance but is this 'red' TDI thing only on VW cars?
    My new Audi A3 will be 170 PS but I'm pretty sure the badge will be a regular silver TDI. Didn't really notice or care to be honest but maybe my memory is faulty...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

Wow guys I am shocked by all this. As much as I'd love to detail my m gear knob m steering wheel m steps suspension upgraded alarm system etc etc etc I have kids to look after that I think may just have more maturity than you guys.

Did you ever read the options lists???? The car has upgraded bloody everything on it so how the hell can you say that it doesnt have the wheels or the seats or the fact that the sales guy was lying????

You are digging a deeper hole. TBH your original statement was just so ignorant with regard to BMW knowledge that the response you got was to be expected, although a tad ott in some cases.

Oh, I assume you're "the wife" judging by your attitude. The sales guy was lying I'm afraid. We know the options list. The M gear knob is on the M-Tech options list, or the M-Sport options list, whichever you like to call it. The fact that it's upgraded doesn't mean it's the same as the M5. The M5 doesn't have a manual box, therefore can't possibly have the same gear knob as yours. The seats in the M5 are ONLY in the M5. You might have "upgraded bloody everything on it", but just because it's upgraded, doesn't mean it's the same as the M5. The seats in the M5 are more bucket shape, and the edges of the seat moves in the opposite direction to the car in a corner to hold you in place in the seat. Now if your 520 has this, then fair play to you and I'm sorry for doubting you, it's probably the only 520 in the world with it. If not then it turns out that we're right and you're snapping at us needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

who is this now the wife or the husband? i think you are twisting my words slightly i said you deserve a little shaking up as in verbally,not deserve to be shaken up there's a difference.

Once again i apologize if i've caused offence,you are lucky you have rockin in ballyknockan photos on your bebo :D

Ok you win enjoy your M5 :D with all those M5 features like 4 exhausts,huge brakes,vents in the wings,7 speed gearbox,stiffened alu chassis,launch control, dynamic stability control,head-up display and seats.

EDIT: this may come as a shock to you but car salesmen can and very often do lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The M5 doesn't have a manual box, therefore can't possibly have the same gear knob as yours.

Do we know that smelltheglove has the new 5 series? The e39 M5 only has manual box I believe.

eoin_s wrote: »
    Do we know that smelltheglove has the new 5 series? The e39 M5 only has manual box I believe.

Fair point, less of a difference between the E39 M5 and the M-Sports kit, still differences though! Like the number 6 on the M5 knob!
    Did the last of the range of E39 520's come with the 2.2 also?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fair point, less of a difference between the E39 M5 and the M-Sports kit, still differences though! Like the number 6 on the M5 knob!

I think they had that engine from as early as 2001 or so, but not 100% sure.

eoin_s wrote: »
    I think they had that engine from as early as 2001 or so, but not 100% sure.

I think you might be right alright, but I can't remember! Long time ago! :P
    E92 on the other hand will remember, though he's only young!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

From late 2000 they came with a 2.2 170bhp engine as apposed to the 2.0 150bhp which was available from its launch to 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 advancedbg

It means total domination ingolstadt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ahh...nooo ...not this crap thread again ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement