Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing and decreasing speed and pings

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

So hears the problem I'm having,

I've switched from Eircom 2MB to UTV 3MB, but my router says I'm getting 5MB. Yet my actual spead fluctuates from 600kb to a max of aroun 2300kb.

--- DSL Information ---
    DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB021c.d17m
    DSL VPI/VCI: 8/35
    DSL Status: Showtime
    DSL Channel: INTR
    DSL Upstream Rate: 512 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 5120 Kbps
    Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 11.3 dB 12.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 39.0 dB 22.0 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 19.7 dBm 3.4 dBm

I've got Eircom to do a line test and they say the line is fine. UTV have logged a broadband fault with eircom but I can't see that going too smoothly.

Anyone know what the hell could be wrong ?

305218527.png

305219564.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

your pings are very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Just changed the router from my Linksys one to the eircom one:
    305237574.png

Good bit better, still weird that my router is showing that I should be getting 5MB. At least I'm getting the 3MB that I paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

The reason it says you should be getting 5mb is because of the Eircom speed upgrades which upgraded 3MB users to a potential 7.6MB. UTV are Eircom resellers, so the upgrade applies to UTV users as well. I'm on UTV's 3MB as well and my router tells me my max speed is 5120 kbps as well.

Demondaze wrote: »
    The reason it says you should be getting 5mb is because of the Eircom speed upgrades which upgraded 3MB users to a potential 7.6MB. UTV are Eircom resellers, so the upgrade applies to UTV users as well. I'm on UTV's 3MB as well and my router tells me my max speed is 5120 kbps as well.
    Ah thanks mate, that explains it :D
    Are you getting 5MB speeds ?
    Anyone know whether UTV BB is very slow during the day but is at full capacity after 6 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Ah thanks mate, that explains it :D
    Umm lol, I told you that just a few hours ago here in the other thread where you asked the exact same question.

• Advertisement

Yep you did tell me that but I'm just trying to keep this together in this thread. I still can't understand why I'm not getting the full 5MB speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

maybe the upgrades aren't finished yet

Now I'm getting the full speed:
    305404576.png

I wonder is it just because its late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I sync at the full 7616 but I'll be damned if I can hold a stable speed. Increased interleaving on eircom's side has also increased ping times. They upped the interleaving setting to resolve potential errors on the line post-upgrade (because they know their lines and network are crap, and expect problems).

I have an excellent line as I live less than 200m from my exchange. My downstream SNR is 17.5dB and my downstream attenuation is only 3dB (the lowest and best I have ever used). Therefore, in theory, I should be getting the full 7.6Mb. Not even at 3am do I get a steady connection. It will fly at between 4500kbps and 6500kbps. A speed test done one minute is showing different results from the same speed test done on the next minute. It's eircom's fault, their network cannot handle it. What's really sneaky is that they probably had foreseen all this long before the upgrades commenced. But, unsuspecting people will not be aware of it until after they have signed their contract with eircom or a re-seller. Way to go, eircom. You have found yet another way to scam everyone.

Things in general are SLOWER. Browsing has become a tough task at times. Loading various pages, for eg. Google, has slowed down immensely, and it happens far too often compared to before the upgrade. Gaming pings are no less than 50ms (probably closer to 55ms) to British servers, and no less than 35ms (probably closer to 40ms) to Irish ones. Sure, downloads are faster, but that's it. Everything aside from downloading has choked. Beware to those who are expecting their speeds to be increased this weekend in round two of the eircom upgrades. It's not going to be pretty!

So, in light of this, last Sunday I made a request to my ISP, UTV, via email (as instructed by one of their CS agents) to downgrade me to the next lowest package of 3Mb (formally 2Mb). I demanded that they do it for free, based on me not asking for 7.6Mb or the problems combining, as I did sign up to a package that was 3Mb initially. If I don't see any reply or action by tomorrow, I will be forcing the issue over the phone.

Wish me luck!

Oh, and good luck to you, cian1500ww. I hope you're happy with what you have got, and I hope it only gets better. To be honest though, I'm not at all optimistic that it will. If that being the case, I'd consider a downgrade to the new 3Mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Now I'm getting the full speed:
    305404576.png

I wonder is it just because its late.
    Sounds like your problem is contention.

• Advertisement

Sounds like your problem is contention.
    Indeed. But there was always contention. It's just more effective now that the data rate is higher.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I sync at the full 7616 but I'll be damned if I can hold a stable speed. Increased interleaving on eircom's side has also increased ping times. They upped the interleaving setting to resolve potential errors on the line post-upgrade (because they know their lines and network are crap, and expect problems).

I have an excellent line as I live less than 200m from my exchange. My downstream SNR is 17.5dB and my downstream attenuation is only 3dB (the lowest and best I have ever used). Therefore, in theory, I should be getting the full 7.6Mb. Not even at 3am do I get a steady connection. It will fly at between 4500kbps and 6500kbps. A speed test done one minute is showing different results from the same speed test done on the next minute. It's eircom's fault, their network cannot handle it. What's really sneaky is that they probably had foreseen all this long before the upgrades commenced. But, unsuspecting people will not be aware of it until after they have signed their contract with eircom or a re-seller. Way to go, eircom. You have found yet another way to scam everyone.

Things in general are SLOWER. Browsing has become a tough task at times. Loading various pages, for eg. Google, has slowed down immensely, and it happens far too often compared to before the upgrade. Gaming pings are no less than 50ms (probably closer to 55ms) to British servers, and no less than 35ms (probably closer to 40ms) to Irish ones. Sure, downloads are faster, but that's it. Everything aside from downloading has choked. Beware to those who are expecting their speeds to be increased this weekend in round two of the eircom upgrades. It's not going to be pretty!

So, in light of this, last Sunday I made a request to my ISP, UTV, via email (as instructed by one of their CS agents) to downgrade me to the next lowest package of 3Mb (formally 2Mb). I demanded that they do it for free, based on me not asking for 7.6Mb or the problems combining, as I did sign up to a package that was 3Mb initially. If I don't see any reply or action by tomorrow, I will be forcing the issue over the phone.

Wish me luck!

Oh, and good luck to you, cian1500ww. I hope you're happy with what you have got, and I hope it only gets better. To be honest though, I'm not at all optimistic that it will. If that being the case, I'd consider a downgrade to the new 3Mb package.
    Thank you very much mate. I wouldn't mind not getting full speed all the time but the download speeds yesterday were terrible and the ping was unreal. The crackling is on all phones in the house so I'm going to log a fault with eircom. What is the PSTN test you were talking about ?

Things in general are SLOWER. Browsing has become a tough task at times. Loading various pages, for eg. Google, has slowed down immensely, and it happens far too often compared to before the upgrade.
    You should try using different DNS like openDNS, that solved that problem for me.

You should try using different DNS like openDNS, that solved that problem for me.
    Not for me, sadly. I tried everything short of breaking into the exchange and giving me a 1:1 contention ratio! :eek:

PSTN = Public Switched Telephone Network

In other words, your line is on a PSTN, so it's just a line test. Don't ask me about the technicalities, as I'm only an enthusiastic rookie at best.

Let us know how you get on with eircom. ;)

Not for me, sadly. I tried everything short of breaking into the exchange and giving me a 1:1 contention ratio! :eek:

PSTN = Public Switched Telephone Network

In other words, your line is on a PSTN, so it's just a line test. Don't ask me about the technicalities, as I'm only an enthusiastic rookie at best.

Let us know how you get on with eircom. ;)
    Sorry to hear that :(

Eircom did a line test yesterday and they said there was no faults with the line but I know for a fact that everyone who calls or is called on any phone in the house experiences crackling or distortion of some sort.

Sorry to hear that :(

Eircom did a line test yesterday and they said there was no faults with the line but I know for a fact that everyone who calls or is called on any phone in the house experiences crackling or distortion of some sort.
    I'm sure they did a test, alright. But, probably not the correct one. ;)

Keep pushing them, use "PSTN" acronym. Make them think you know more than you actually do, so they won't be so quick to take you for a fool and fob you off.

Now my router is showind the speed as: 3190/512
    WTF is going on ??!!

Now my router is showind the speed as: 3190/512
    WTF is going on ??!!
    Three words. More line tests.

Actually, what is your SNR and Line Attenuation for both down and up?

--- DSL Information ---
    DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB021c.d17m
    DSL VPI/VCI: 8/35
    DSL Status: Showtime
    DSL Channel: INTR
    DSL Upstream Rate: 512 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 3136 Kbps

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 16.0 dB 12.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 40.0 dB 22.0 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 19.6 dBm 5.0 dBm

Got an email from UTV saying the problem had been fixed which was why I was on 3MB but last night I was back up to 5MB and my SNR is much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement