Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone vs Nokia E61/71?

• 05-08-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Any people out that that had/have Nokia E61/E71 and changed to the iphone 3G? I am interested in opinions/problems/failings/greatness etc. Been a long time user of the E61 and also have an E71 but was thinking of the iphone. I would be using it for email (ms exchange), browsing etc.

I know it can't do podcasting (which I currently use). How about word/excel files? Can it open/edit and send them on via email?

How about attachments in email? How's the battery? (e61 was great).

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

First of all: I do not have an iPhone, and the reason for that is that I'm a longtime user of the e61 ;)

but I got a couple of iphone-mad friends, and honestly, if you value the features of the e61 such as a great REAL qwerty, copy/paste between apps, easy multitasking, a shedload of tried and tested USEFUL apps etc etc etc YOU will not enjoy the iPhone!!! That is assuming you made good use of the E's, lots of texting etc...?! E61: I can browse the web using any of the browsers, listen to music, then someone says "oh, nice song", so while the next song's playing, the browser's running, I bluetooth the previous song to my friends phone, while I receive an email...to reply to the email I open "notes" where I got some, well, notes, and addresses that I copy and paste into the email reply...while the music's still playing, I send the mail... And while I'm doing all that without any 3rd party programmes, my e61 also irons my pants...no, but almost, ....
    That's a great smartphone... The other one's a great fashion phone, that while you fingerstroke it in public, people think is your favourite hamster's glass coffin :) lol

more importantly, can I have your e71, pretty please?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have my iPhone because it is, by far, the best phone to access the internet on. Simple as. It has the best UI, leaps ahead of any Nokia or Sony etc

However, as a phone, especially for business use, it's not practical. I used to have my iPhone 2G for work, and it was a nightmare, especially since I couldn't do simple things like forwarding texts, which I actually need to do on a daily basis.

As things stand, I've an iPhone 3G for my personal use, and I love it, and a W810i for work. Going by what you're saying, I'd stick with the Nokia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Thanks. Interesting feedback so far. Whats the story on multitasking - can the iphone run multiple apps at the same time like the S60? Also is there any local storage on the iphone - can I copy down attachments and work on them offline? (I don't want to pay huge data roaming charges!)

What I may end up doing is getting the iphone for my wife (keeps her happy) and keep the e71 for me (making Strecker very unhappy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

elderlemon wrote: »
    Thanks. Interesting feedback so far. Whats the story on multitasking - can the iphone run multiple apps at the same time like the S60? Also is there any local storage on the iphone - can I copy down attachments and work on them offline? (I don't want to pay huge data roaming charges!)

What I may end up doing is getting the iphone for my wife (keeps her happy) and keep the e71 for me (making Strecker very unhappy).

curse you...hahaha... I can't wait to get my paws on the e71, but I recently got hooked on vodafone's v1520 (asus p550 in the real world) that I bought in a joking mood, but that turned out to be a smashing giant of a touchscreen pda-phone,.... So, consider yourself un-cursed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gordotempo

I'm not a techie but i must say that i just got an iphone and it really is class. Techie's in work always said that "Techies aren't impressed by iphones, i have my phone and my itouch" But for me, one less item to carry makes a difference and i can't stop playing with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

strecker wrote: »
    First of all: I do not have an iPhone, and the reason for that is that I'm a longtime user of the e61 ;)

but I got a couple of iphone-mad friends, and honestly, if you value the features of the e61 such as a great REAL qwerty, copy/paste between apps, easy multitasking, a shedload of tried and tested USEFUL apps etc etc etc YOU will not enjoy the iPhone!!! That is assuming you made good use of the E's, lots of texting etc...?! E61: I can browse the web using any of the browsers, listen to music, then someone says "oh, nice song", so while the next song's playing, the browser's running, I bluetooth the previous song to my friends phone, while I receive an email...to reply to the email I open "notes" where I got some, well, notes, and addresses that I copy and paste into the email reply...while the music's still playing, I send the mail... And while I'm doing all that without any 3rd party programmes, my e61 also irons my pants...no, but almost, ....
    That's a great smartphone... The other one's a great fashion phone, that while you fingerstroke it in public, people think is your favourite hamster's glass coffin :) lol!

Hehe, that's a great sum-up of what I'm doing with my E51 :) E-series rocks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Right but that argument doesn't cut it with me. I have music on my E71 so I don't have two devices either.

What I like about the iphone is the UI, the touchscreen and the large display. What I like about the Nokia is that it does everything. Right now (based on a lot of searching) is that the iphone just isn't up to replacing my E71 just yet -I'd miss cut and paste (which I use a lot), mms and local offline storage.

My ultimate phone - an S60 with a touchscreen and display same as the iphone.
    gordotempo wrote: »
    I'm not a techie but i must say that i just got an iphone and it really is class. Techie's in work always said that "Techies aren't impressed by iphones, i have my phone and my itouch" But for me, one less item to carry makes a difference and i can't stop playing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

chrislad wrote: »
    I have my iPhone because it is, by far, the best phone to access the internet on. Simple as. It has the best UI, leaps ahead of any Nokia or Sony etc

However, as a phone, especially for business use, it's not practical. I used to have my iPhone 2G for work, and it was a nightmare, especially since I couldn't do simple things like forwarding texts, which I actually need to do on a daily basis.

As things stand, I've an iPhone 3G for my personal use, and I love it, and a W810i for work. Going by what you're saying, I'd stick with the Nokia.

I'd agree with that. I find the iPhone very frustrating to use as a phone, but it's great as an internet gadget. I have an iPhone through work and have a N95 as my personal phone, and I'm finding that I've got it the wrong way around!

Personally, the '1 gadget' argument doesn't work for me. The camera is very poor, and the hard drive is too small. I currently carry a digital camera, iPhone, N95 and 80gb iPod in my work bag. Which is a little silly, perhaps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

spav wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. I find the iPhone very frustrating to use as a phone, but it's great as an internet gadget. I have an iPhone through work and have a N95 as my personal phone, and I'm finding that I've got it the wrong way around!

Personally, the '1 gadget' argument doesn't work for me. The camera is very poor, and the hard drive is too small. I currently carry a digital camera, iPhone, N95 and 80gb iPod in my work bag. Which is a little silly, perhaps ;)

You're getting good battery life from each device at least. One device to do everything and you'll have to charge it constantly. The poor camera is a pain for me. I use my camera a lot and I'd be lost without an auto focus, and macro mode camera. That said I'd like an iPhone for mobile Internet. Using the browsers on other phones is a pain IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

BostonB wrote: »
    You getting good battery life from each device at least. One device to do everything and you'll have to charge it constantly. The poor camera is a pain for me. I use my camera a lot and I'd be lost without an auto focus, and macro mode camera. That said I'd like an iPhone for mobile Internet. Using the browsers on other phones is a pain IMO.

It's impressive, I have to say. Really feels like the full internet - I find the standard Nokia browser feels a little like a more powerful version of WAP, even on the N95. That said, Opera Mini on S60 phones is very good too. As I understand it, web pages are sent to a server, all the images are vastly reduced in size then it's sent to your phone - this makes loads times very quick. It looks a bit rough, but it's a small price to pay I suppose.

You're right about the battery. If you use the multifunctionality of either the iPhone or the N95 - make a few calls, browse the web, listen to music then use the camera - you won't get to the end of the day without the battery going flat.

tbh I'm happy enough to have separate, dedicated devices. If someone came up with a really nice phone that was cool and gadgety, perhaps with a big screen and net access but no camera, then I'd be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I found the iPhone so utterly unuseable as a practical phone device i had to go back to my old phone (Nokia 6300) pretty basic but at least i can send/recieve pic messages, forward texts, actually see who's calling me even though theyre in my fone book in iPhone they still dont show up because ive to change all entries to +353 ... kinda hard when ive 400 contacts... stupid phone, redicilous, i ues iPhone for weekends and 6300 all other times.

Stick to yer Nokia mate. IPhone is a bit of flash is all.

Advertisement