Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Fiction Book Club

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

It just seems to me that Sci fi/fantasy books are becoming a lot more main stream but most people dont really admit to reading them,
    whereas someone will be fairly willing to bring up in a random conversation "oh i read so and so's book from x y z best seller list" when it comes to Sci Fi/Fantasy books people are always a lot more cagey about talking about it,

So two or three questions about this,
    1. Are there any out there?
    2. Is anyone interested in setting up one?
    3. If there isnt one out there are there any decent online ones as the ones i've come across so far are all buy a gazillion books for $6 dollars and get a crappy free gift free and then pay a gazillion dollars for 6 books every 2 weeks :) oh boy what an offer,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Aaah, but if you buy a gazillion books for 6 dollars 99% are bound to be a load of crap. Best pick reputable fantasy series and have everyone buy it themselves, imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You might want to check out the sci-fi forum here.

I don't think anyone on boards.ie is cagey about talking about SF but that might be to do with the demograph.

Though I'm not pushed about a club, I'd recommend just sifting through the SF Masterworks series. Many of the best are in this series, imo.

Amazon's "new & used" sellers sometimes offer great value, though you might think of joining a library. It's an actual place that lets you read books for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kismet80

Thanks for putting me onto the Sci-Fi forum Dades,

I'm a big fan of Amazon but i also use the bookdepository.com to buy books, they tend to be cheaper than amazon and without the shipping fees, I tend to spend about 100-150euro on books every month so i'm well known at my local secondhand bookstore and i'm a member of 3 libraries now. I'm thinking that I should really do something in the book industry but thinking that retraining might be a pain in the ass,
    will just have to write a best seller i guess!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You, sir, must do a lot of reading!
    Good luck with the bestseller - am still on the first chapter of mine. ;)

Advertisement