Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint St. Angeles campaign

Options
  • 05-08-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I am more often than not a lurker rather than a poster however I hope you all will not hold that against me!

We, my wife and I, have an idea and having discussed it with a few friends we feel it could be a runner. We want the owners of St. Angeles to paint it (the new part) a different colour.

In general I would be pro development and pro the planning department. While many things could have been done better I feel Sligo is a better place today than it was 10 years ago. BUT St Angeles is an abomination which the planners should be hung, drawn and quartered for allowing. Yes I absolutely regret not paying attention to the application when it was lodged but who could have believed that they could allow such a structure in WHITE:eek:!

So we want to start a campaign to have it change colour so it will not be such an obvious blight on the landscape. Moss green, rust brown or whatever.

Feedback on your thoughts for this idea will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Sorry but in my opinion a moss green or rust brown building of that size would look awful.
    To be honest I don't think that the white is such a bad colour,maybe for the residents living beside it but I can see it from my house and fair enough I can see a large white building in a group of large trees but I don't think its such a bad idea.
    Surely if they were given planning permission for the building would they not have thrown in a few clauses.
    When we were applying for planning permission to build our house we were not allowed paint it white even though 3 of the other houses were white at the time.

Again,this is just my opinion....I don't think its too bad as white,surely brown would look worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

You think St Angelas is bad. Try driving from Streedagh towards Grange from the Spanish Armada monument onwards, look towards Ben Bulben and what do you see?
    Who the hell makes these planning decisions anyway and maybe more importantly why? ..............and why do these people still have their jobs?

Jabby wrote: »
    Try driving from Streedagh towards Grange from the Spanish Armada monument onwards, look towards Ben Bulben and what do you see?

I don't know,what do you see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I actually quite like the contrast of St. Angela's against the trees.

Mrs.T wrote: »
    I actually quite like the contrast of St. Angela's against the trees.

Phew...I'm not the only that quite likes it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KAYA

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Phew...I'm not the only that quite likes it:D

I also think it is quite nice , the contrast is very nice especially against a clear blue sky.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I don't know,what do you see?

When I moved to Sligo years ago, I used to love driving down that Streedagh road. The sight of Ben Bulben ahead of you from the Armada Monument was a sight to behold. The thought often occurred to me that this very beautiful mountain in all of it's glory and unspoilt beauty is almost exactly what greeted de Cuellar and the survivors of the Spanish Armada all of those years ago.

Now look at it. Trust our generation to f*** it up.

I don't have to say what it is , it's that obvious. If anything needs to be painted green, it is this bloody eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

When I moved to Sligo years ago, I used to love driving down that Streedagh road. The sight of Ben Bulben ahead of you from the Armada Monument was a sight to behold. The thought often occurred to me that this very beautiful mountain in all of it's glory and unspoilt beauty is almost exactly what greeted de Cuellar and the survivors of the Spanish Armada all of those years ago.

Now look at it. Trust our generation to f*** it up.

I don't have to say what it is , it's that obvious. If anything needs to be painted green, it is this bloody eyesore.

I have no idea what you're talking about and nor does bobcar so your comments really aren't helping here?

takola wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're talking about and nor does bobcar so your comments really aren't helping here?

I'm reluctant to mention the company's name. I will if ye want me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm reluctant to mention the company's name. I will if ye want me too.

It's a factory or something I assume?

Sorry Jabby, I have no idea where Streedagh is or what's out there so I really have no idea what you're talking about? You might as well come out and tell us! :)

• Advertisement

Do as the moderator says Jabby...tell us:D

Its not obvious at all what one sees coming in that way especially if you don't know that area like myself and takola.

takola wrote: »
    It's a factory or something I assume?

Sorry Jabby, I have no idea where Streedagh is or what's out there so I really have no idea what you're talking about? You might as well come out and tell us! :)

Streedagh is a beautiful beach about 3-4km from Grange. It was on that stretch of coast that a part of the Spanish Armada was shipwrecked back in May 1588.

I'm sorry that I didn't explain this earlier:confused::o... Anyway , it's a large white factory thats placed virtually 'under bare Ben Bulben's head'. Maybe not as obvious as St Angela's but very noticeable all the same.

takola and bobcar, I would really like if you went down to Streedagh some day that you have time and watch out for this on the way back. If you can't, I will photograph what I am talking about and post it.

On a lighter note, You will love this place, especially the walk behind the beach...great views of Donegal Bay and Killybegs, Kilcar etc.
    You will be back.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Streedagh is a beautiful beach about 3-4km from Grange. It was on that stretch of coast that a part of the Spanish Armada was shipwrecked back in May 1588.

I'm sorry that I didn't explain this earlier:confused::o... Anyway , it's a large white factory thats placed virtually 'under bare Ben Bulben's head'. Maybe not as obvious as St Angela's but very noticeable all the same.

takola and bobcar, I would really like if you went down to Streedagh some day that you have time and watch out for this on the way back. If you can't, I will photograph what I am talking about and post it.

On a lighter note, You will love this place, especially the walk behind the beach...great views of Donegal Bay and Killybegs, Kilcar etc.
    You will be back.:)

I presume you mean the tile factory.
    Not only are they ugly and obtrusive as you say but two of the "Sheds" have been empty since they were built over two years ago; no-one will buy or rent them.
    Everyone thought the factory was expanding when they were built but the sheds were just speculative builds.

Essexboy wrote: »
    I presume you mean the tile factory.
    Not only are they ugly and obtrusive as you say but two of the "Sheds" have been empty since they were built over two years ago; no-one will buy or rent them.
    Everyone thought the factory was expanding when they were built but the sheds were just speculative builds.

You have it in one Essex Boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I am more often than not a lurker rather than a poster however I hope you all will not hold that against me!

We, my wife and I, have an idea and having discussed it with a few friends we feel it could be a runner. We want the owners of St. Angeles to paint it (the new part) a different colour.

In general I would be pro development and pro the planning department. While many things could have been done better I feel Sligo is a better place today than it was 10 years ago. BUT St Angeles is an abomination which the planners should be hung, drawn and quartered for allowing. Yes I absolutely regret not paying attention to the application when it was lodged but who could have believed that they could allow such a structure in WHITE:eek:!

So we want to start a campaign to have it change colour so it will not be such an obvious blight on the landscape. Moss green, rust brown or whatever.

Feedback on your thoughts for this idea will be appreciated.

Yes in total agreement with you. It shouldnt have got planning permission in an area of such natural beauty and heritage (Yeats and all ) in the first places. As its white it stands out even more so. Its about damage limitation now. What trees? They should be replanting the trees they must have culled in the process and at least try and camoflauge it. I dunno the grey of the originally building wasnt so bad in the first place??

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

There are numerous examples of bad planning in Sligo.

The one I despise the most is the shopping centre at Carraroe. Built on a hill it can be seen from everywhere with no attempt to disguise it. The houses behind it are even higher.

The view looks particularly awful if you're looking from carrowmore towards Cairns Hill. All the fuss about the Tara landscape and this is just as bad.

Advertisement