Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Octavia?

• 05-08-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

ok I'm a road warrior and need a new car. I want low running costs (by virtue of low emmissions) but big car comfort. Sounds like the Octavia is yer only man. 20 odd grand sounds like might do the job to get one.

http://www.skoda.ie/templates/SkodaV3/downloads/5Octavia%20Price%20and%20Spec.pdf

The 1.9 diesel base and intermediate level are priced at this point and an annual road tax of E150. Feel free to comment on the economy of this model versus others available. Low depreciation too apparently

My question is, for another 6k, why would one go for the 6 speed automatic (see linked price list)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why would one go for the 6 speed automatic?

because the DSG box is excellent!

or if you needed an automatic, it'd be one of the best diesel autos for the money.

VRT makes up a good chunk of the price difference, the DSG is an amazing piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

Ya that was what I was getting at I guess...would love the dsg auto, but it's too much money, especially with the new VRT rules...or is it just a case that the dsg is nice and smooth whereas the bog standard 1.9 does a rev jump and is supposedly not smooth?

Do I lose much mpg by going for the auto dsg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ya that was what I was getting at I guess...would love the dsg auto, but it's too much money, especially with the new VRT rules...or is it just a case that the dsg is nice and smooth whereas the bog standard 1.9 does a rev jump and is supposedly not smooth?

Do I lose much mpg by going for the auto dsg?

Its still smooth if you drive it smooth.There bags of pull if you want it.It even aint all that loud at high speeds IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the manual gearbox is just fine! the DSG transforms it though, especially for country driving, I had one across the Scottish highlands recently and it was amazing for an Octavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Why does the DSG box push the Co2 up and bumps the tax up by €140?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ok I'm a road warrior and need a new car. I want low running costs (by virtue of low emmissions) but big car comfort. Sounds like the Octavia is yer only man. 20 odd grand sounds like might do the job to get one.

http://www.skoda.ie/templates/SkodaV3/downloads/5Octavia%20Price%20and%20Spec.pdf

The 1.9 diesel base and intermediate level are priced at this point and an annual road tax of E150. Feel free to comment on the economy of this model versus others available. Low depreciation too apparently

My question is, for another 6k, why would one go for the 6 speed automatic (see linked price list)?

It's 21k for the Octavia and 4k for the DSG, not 20k and 6k! Not worth it with the 1.9. Get the base one. Either that or buy a year old 2 litre model with the DSG box. Or you could just get the 2 litre manual for 24k, far better choice. And don't whinge about the €290 tax on the 2 litre, €140 extra on tax is saving you an extra grand on the list price, that's what, 6 years tax difference? And the 2 litre manual will be easier to sell on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I was involved in a major crash 3 weeks ago and as my car was destroyed I have been given a hire car, a new Skoda Octavia Classic 1.9TDi to do until I get my new weapon on Friday :cool:

Anyway, the Skoda sucks, even compared to my previous car - an aged VW TDi banger. I simply cannot believe people buy these with their own money, unless they are going to use it as a taxi. I don't doubt that they are reliable and this one is spacious, well built and comfortable however it is poverty spec and the rubbery-look plastic everywhere looks and feels naff. Worst of all is the engine and gear box; both are rough as a badger's ballbag and the gear change is terrible with the lever clacking its way through the change. The throttle feels really lumpy too especially accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears. The ecomomy bad also; I don't think it's got much over 35mpg so far (admittedly 75% town only driving) which was a big disappointment as I was used to 55+mpg previously. I just can't wait until Friday to get this thing removed from my driveway.

I followed that link below and am shocked that the list price in ROI is €21,000. Here in the north it's around £13,745 yet is overpriced IMO considering you can now get a <1 y.o. TDi Passat or Jetta from the main dealers for £11,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well the fact that it is a hire car doesn't do much as it could have had the balls driven out of it and the gearbox beaten to within an inch of its life previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's 10 months old, 7000 miles and comes from the insurance company's fleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Makes no difference where it comes fom El Tel, if it's used a a hire car it will be trashed failry lifely. Also, most fleet cars are the basic poverty spec ones, be it a Toyota or Opel, every fleet car I've ever had use of has been the lowest of the low, and an Avensis I had, only a couple of months old, had a slipping clutch and a handbrake that pointed fully up and still didn't fully engage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

el tel wrote: »
    I was involved in a major crash 3 weeks ago and as my car was destroyed I have been given a hire car, a new Skoda Octavia Classic 1.9TDi to do until I get my new weapon on Friday :cool:

Anyway, the Skoda sucks, even compared to my previous car - an aged VW TDi banger. I simply cannot believe people buy these with their own money, unless they are going to use it as a taxi. I don't doubt that they are reliable and this one is spacious, well built and comfortable however it is poverty spec and the rubbery-look plastic everywhere looks and feels naff. Worst of all is the engine and gear box; both are rough as a badger's ballbag and the gear change is terrible with the lever clacking its way through the change. The throttle feels really lumpy too especially accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears. The ecomomy bad also; I don't think it's got much over 35mpg so far (admittedly 75% town only driving) which was a big disappointment as I was used to 55+mpg previously. I just can't wait until Friday to get this thing removed from my driveway.

I followed that link below and am shocked that the list price in ROI is €21,000. Here in the north it's around £13,745 yet is overpriced IMO considering you can now get a <1 y.o. TDi Passat or Jetta from the main dealers for £11,000.

In fairness, that car is "classic" spec which is the base model.There are hardly any of them sold in this country.The "ambiente" spec which is mid range is the volume seller here and it feels aevery bit as nice inside as a mk5 golf.As for the diesel, youre complaining about, get that in any VAG car, audi A3, Vw passat etc and i guarantee i will feel exactly the same.Also, it was a hire-car so it probably has had the sh*t drivin out of it.Have a look on carzone anyway and you'll see little if any classic spec octavias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I currently own a 1.9TDI DSG Elegance specs.
    Car is 2 years old, 56k on clocks and it runs like a charm
    DSG is expensive but is worth every penny.
    Am looking at getting the VrS TDI and will probably go with DSG again , despite the 3.5k extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

I'm moving up to a vRS TDi myself (next week :)) 170 bhp bucket loads of torque and still pretty decent economy (i hope!). Can't wait!

@OP...if it's a cheap,comfortable,reliable,economical,spacious car you're after you won't go wrong with an Octavia. I've had a 1.9 TDi since new ('04) currently 125K miles on the clock and all i've had to do in that time was 2 rear bushings and a indicator relay! Obviously that doesn't include the normal routine serviceing. Yes you do get what you pay for and while you might not get all the 'toys' the mid level Ambiente more than suffices for any everyday driver.
    To sum up-forget the badge-the Octavia is a fantastic car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Not really:

The focus is the same size and the same price. Also has a better engine, is better to drive and probably more reliable and probably will have a better resale price.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055350206

And to be honest the Corolla and all the rest are about the same price as well. I don't think there is anything special about the Octavia package in the way there was in the early 00's. It is gone expensive.

Advertisement