Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft News [READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

i have to say that i disagree about those radios..ive had a set of lidl radios for over a year now with no problems with static or range, they have performed perfectly since ive had them

Same here. But we could have just got lucky. One of mine broke so i wouldn't be surprised if someones didn't work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

MagicIRL wrote: »
    And what would be the cheapest set of "effective radios". You have to assume that if your buying these Aldi/Lidl radios then your strapped for cash at the mo. Easy to say "Oh yeah go buy propper ones" but that could mean spending 100+ which just is not an option for many people (myself included)

You could always try ebay!:)
    I got a great set of Motorolas for €65 delivered to my door.
    Of course they were 2nd hand, but in perfect condition.

I have no experience of the Lidl/Aldi ones so can't comment on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

And what would be the cheapest set of "effective radios". You have to assume that if your buying these Aldi/Lidl radios then your strapped for cash at the mo. Easy to say "Oh yeah go buy propper ones" but that could mean spending 100+ which just is not an option for many people (myself included)

Not really. Motorola do great radios for as little as €60 for the pair. Cobra radios are also generally great and are sub-€100, come with charging docks and use a wide variety of headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Rooky1 wrote: »
    You could always try ebay!:)
    I got a great set of Motorolas for €65 delivered to my door.
    Of course they were 2nd hand, but in perfect condition.

I have no experience of the Lidl/Aldi ones so can't comment on those.

Same here, got a pair of Motorola XTR's for around €60 shipped, only one had been used once on a ski holiday.

Personally I really dont like the Lidl/Aldi radios, but I must say they seem to have gotten better over the past while.
    Like the ones that are currently on sale in Lidl now have 8 channels and 38 sub-channels. I can remember up until fairly recently that the radios sold in Lidl/Aldi only had 8 channels and no sub-channels. Which I thought was pretty fcuking useless (as whenever I use my radio I've always used a sub-channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Weeeeell, I have found that the cheap option can be the more expensive one in the long run when it turns out to be disappointing, and you have to go for the quality option anyway. I have been burned with boots, radios, tactical gear and mountaineering equipment (my other way of using up spare cash). Sometimes you get lucky and you get a bargain that works great, but it is a lottery.

The rule is "you get what you pay for", and paying the bit extra you will get peace of mind.

In terms of radios, on recommendations from people here I got a pair of Motorola XTR446 handsets. Currently €83 from Pixmania (where I got them). They come with a charging stand and headsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Marcin B

We use Binatone radios at work. First we used the Binatone Latitude 150 and Terrain 550. Both failed in terms of durability and battery life. We now have the Action 950 and they work pretty well. Great battery life, well built and much better range than the cheaper models. The only problem we have with them is the on/off/volume knob which rotates easly, so the radio can turn itself off in your pocket. I haven't checked if they're water resistant but I higly doubt that.

PS: The Motorola XTR 446 is great but it sure is a big one.

In radios, bigger is often better. The XTN radios are brilliant, but they're no longer made. Motorola now make the XTN iD, which is smaller but just as powerful and clear. Radios are one of those things in life that you really do pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

sliabh wrote: »
    In terms of radios, on recommendations from people here I got a pair of Motorola XTR446 handsets. Currently €83 from Pixmania (where I got them). They come with a charging stand and headsets.

we're looking for radios at the moment too, would you recommend these walie talkies? and what kind of headsets come with them?

also anyone know if these are any good?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-WT87-Pack-Powerful-Pairs/dp/B002JCRT24/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281446200&sr=1-65

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I got the DORO WT87 long range units with headsets in Harvey Norman for E59.74.

I have used them once and the sound quality for tx and rx is good. The headsets are very flimsy so I replaced them with ones from Maplins.

Rechargable baatteries in them and comes with desktop charger.

There are two units in the box so if you share it is E30 each.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭RampantWolf

T4RGET wrote: »
    we're looking for radios at the moment too, would you recommend these walie talkies? and what kind of headsets come with them?

I have a set of the XTR446 and it's a decent radio for the price. The included headset is a fairly flimsy over ear single earbud with a thin boom mic, but they are compatible with the various tactical style headsets, just make sure you get the right connector. I currently use a swimmer style headset with it and it works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Another XTR446 used here. Good little radio, good price, the headset is flimsy but I replaced it with a Bowman as I wanted a PTT button anyway. Since you get two in the box I recommend going halves with a friend.

As with all the other guys I'd say you get what you pay for on this one.

PS: I used to work security with Motorola GP series, XTR446 is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Speaking of the xtr's, I got a set with a friend and after a few months both went faulty where they could tx but not rx, quite annoying considering the price, but I guess you just get unlucky sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

i have to say that i disagree about those radios..ive had a set of lidl radios for over a year now with no problems with static or range, they have performed perfectly since ive had them

What kind of ranges and terrain? I've found they work okay up to about 100m over flat ground, but go to **** in built-up areas or forest after very little range, I've heard static on them after about 50m in MAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Can't recommend the XTR446s in pixmania.ie that sliabh linked to enough. They've been with me to Berget, 4 senny trips and pretty much everywhere I go and have never let me down. They take 1-pin motorola headsets (so basically any site selling headsets will have one for them), and if you're in a bind they take AAA batteries instead of their power pack.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Can't recommend the XTR446s in pixmania.ie that sliabh linked to enough. They've been with me to Berget, 4 senny trips and pretty much everywhere I go and have never let me down. They take 1-pin motorola headsets (so basically any site selling headsets will have one for them), and if you're in a bind they take AAA batteries instead of their power pack.

they seem pretty good then. why do you not recommend them? or was it a mistake? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

they seem pretty good then. why do you not recommend them? or was it a mistake? :P
    It's just a mistake in your reading organ. He can't recommend them enough. That means good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

Hey Target

He can't recommend them enough.:D

ah yes makes sense. I read the enough at the end but it made no sense there :P until now haha. cheers lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Horse84

GHK co2 mag for the wa m4, being released soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Sad to say but I kinda want one...Bit of a moral booster for thos rainy skirmishing days!

Support Personal T-shirts
    picture.php?albumid=1340&pictureid=7038

Pictures abit lame but you can see a better one in this months AI :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=12548

PTS ACR in stock at RSOV, 450 us seems a bit much for what is just a nice shell for standard internals :/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Sad to say but I kinda want one...Bit of a moral booster for thos rainy skirmishing days!

Support Personal T-shirts
    picture.php?albumid=1340&pictureid=7038

Pictures abit lame but you can see a better one in this months AI :)

You can pick one up in MIA he has the full range ,
    im a fan of the pin ups tshirts myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

These look neat at 80 USD.
    I had my eye on a Motorola XTNiD
    so not sure what I will buy PMR wise when ever I decide to buy.
    I've american equivilant of PMR's already but the frequency step is a tiny bit different
    so not fully compatible here. Spotted these that just "look " cooler

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=12373

vns_prr_on_10.jpg

Interesting. These have actually been available for several months now, but I've never been able to find a site that sells them that knows what the frequency and power of the transmitter is. I'd very certainly consider getting one of these, for the look if nothing else. I have a perfect original XTN that I use still, and an XTX as a back-up, but I wouldn't be adverse to dropping a few bob on these now that I know they're clear for use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I think these are limited to the 16 listed channels and do not have the sub channels available to sets over here.

Agree that it looks the part but with not many channels available, usage could be restricted or easily monitored by the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

Jay Leno mask over at ebaybanned

M04%20Plastic%20Half%20Face%20Mask%20bk%202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

NakedDex wrote: »
    Interesting. These have actually been available for several months now, but I've never been able to find a site that sells them that knows what the frequency and power of the transmitter is. I'd very certainly consider getting one of these, for the look if nothing else. I have a perfect original XTN that I use still, and an XTX as a back-up, but I wouldn't be adverse to dropping a few bob on these now that I know they're clear for use here.

there are actually two version, the earlyer version also replicated the wireless ptt http://www.px-airsoft.com/index.do , there was also a usb cable to reprogram the unit but people have had mixed results, there is a nice thread on this version over at arnies http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=176048&st=300

the new vanaras version from what i've read it has kenwood internals in a new shell

new sordins over at ebaybanned

zsordin%20headset%20z111%20a.jpg

also a stand alone m203 coming soon

aabb%20m203%20short%20promotion.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭RampantWolf

Dogwatch wrote: »
    I think these are limited to the 16 listed channels and do not have the sub channels available to sets over here.

Agree that it looks the part but with not many channels available, usage could be restricted or easily monitored by the opposition.

Comes with the 16 CTCSS sub-channels... I assume these would be comaptible with the standard PMR sub-channels.

Advertisement