Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the crappest name & number you ever got/saw on the back of a jersey?

• 05-08-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

I once had 'BATTY 4' on that back of my Newcastle jersey. :rolleyes:

I also saw another geordie with 'FOX 11' on the back, even though Ruel Fox was number 5!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Once saw

I
    Rooney

on the back of a Liverpool jersey.

Which I thought was incredibly lame. You'd have to be a real saddo to do the like of that. Why ruin your jersey with the name of someone you really dislike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I used to see a lot of people with eire 32 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Saw a guy once with a spurs Jersey with Hitler 6 on it:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I saw a guy last year at the National Aquatic Centre in Dublin, with a massive tattoo on his chest, supposed to be Stevie G lifting the Champions League trophy. Worse was the drawing bore no resemblance whatsover to Stevie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I got 4 Hargreaves last summer before half the shops even realised heinze wasn't going to have that number this year. Thought i was well smart and would no doubt be a trend-setter as hargreaves became a united icon. Unfortunately that hasn't quite happened as of yet, and I more often than not get asked "when's he going to be playing so?"

Felt a bit silly for the majority of the season, although seeing him score the winner against arsenal in a packed pub where I had received a fair amount of abuse for the questionable numbering choice did make it all seem worthwhile for a bit!

Planning to get Anderson this season, hope I don't curse him with injuries now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There was a picture going round the internet after Riise scored that OG against Chelsea in the CL semi final last year, and it was a guy in a Chelsea jersey with "Riise 6" on the back. Slightly funny. Huge waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

Saw a guy once with Terr-Kamp on the back of an arsenal jersey. Not sure I get it? Anyone know what its about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Seen an old Liverpool shirt years ago(The gold one) with Le Tisser 7 on the back of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

an old mate of mine had a Villa Jersey with Unsworth 25 (I think) on the back... Unsworth never played a game, he moved to Everton beforehand for the same fee Villa paid as his family didnt like Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I saw

---I
    RANGERS

on the back of a Celtic top in Bray once.

Oh yeah, saw a Rangers jersey with "Manchester 08" on the back when i was in Portugal, i laughed, bet he regrets that one.

Oh jesus, just remembered i saw a woman in a Leeds shirt with "SMITH 666", awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone with their own name on a Jersey deserves a special mention.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Anyone with their own name on a Jersey deserves a special mention.

Under the age of 11 anyway.

I had Mikey 8 on a shirt when i was 8. It took imagining playing for United to a whole new level.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Worst one I have:

O'SHEA

Worst one I saw:

KEANE
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

'Lehman 1'
    There are two Ns in Lehmann.

Also 'BEAST9' (reference to Julia Baptista)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oochie

i had:

babb

on two liverpool jerseys back in the day. for a time i was considering getting 'el' added to the end when markus babbel arrived a couple of years later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

my old flatmate is a big Villa fan and used to work at VP, his nephews birthday was coming up and he was looking for something Villa related to give to him. He wanted to give him his old (therefore small) green and black Villa jersey but had no idea what had become of it, I rememberd i had the same jersey in the back of a cupboard so offered him it. Unfortunatley after Ireland lost 5 - 2 to cyprus it was no longer wanted

...Staunton (3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Saw a Leeds fan years back with the word Judas along with Kewells former number on the jersey.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face :p How long was he planning on wearing it?

Had he left I was mighty tempted to get Ronaldo on the back of my Real jersey :P (it is the old jersey and all, just to really let the Reds know how deliberate it was :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Gordinho 10 on the back of a Barca jersey. That was more hilarious than crap though. :p

Now that he's R80 I reallly hope that;

''R8.............. all the pies'' takes off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Embarrassing admission: I had "Butt 8" on the back of my jersey when I was 7 or 8. I couldn't afford anything longer. Then someone asked why I didn't get "Cole 9". Talk about d'oh moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Galvasean wrote: »
    'Lehman 1'
    There are two Ns in Lehmann.
    Once met a crazy German with Lehmann on the back of an England jersey. The worst bit was, Podolski had signed it for him.
    He was a strange fellow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I have 'Jordan 4' on a City jersey. I liked him, most of the fans thought he was shite. Also went out and got 'Foe 23' on one of my away shirts just after he died.

Luckily the City shop allowed me to cancel my order yesterday for a Corluka shirt seeing as he's off to Spurs. He'd have been gone before the jersey even arrived here!

I did see a nice one at the City of Manchester Stadium when I was there. It was a guy in his late 20s or so and on the back he had "My Da - City til he died". Not usually a fan of messages on shirts but that was quite touching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

This thread reminds me of the story of the diehard Newcastle fan, who got a massive tattoo of Andy Cole on his leg ... 2 days later he signed for Man Yoo
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Or when Blackburn had that open day where you could come down to the stadium to have Shearer removed from you shirt because he was leaving... kind of weird...
    Weird like those Liverpool fans burnt their Gerrard jerseys outside Anfield because they taught he had moved to Chelsea. Du-oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

eZe^ wrote: »
    Gordinho 10 on the back of a Barca jersey. That was more hilarious than crap though. :p

Now that he's R80 I reallly hope that;

''R8.............. all the pies'' takes off!

Yeah, saw that shirt last season a couple of times. It even featured on a local TV show.

It thought it was a bit unfair as he's just big-boned :D

Somone once told me he saw an Atletico shirt with "Caudillo 1" on it - I thought the old bollocks supported Real, but there you go. Or maybe it was a reference to Jesus Gil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

turly wrote: »
    Yeah, saw that shirt last season a couple of times. It even featured on a local TV show.

It thought it was a bit unfair as he's just big-boned :D

Somone once told me he saw an Atletico shirt with "Caudillo 1" on it - I thought the old bollocks supported Real, but there you go. Or maybe it was a reference to Jesus Gil...

A local Catalan tv show? I remember seeing on TV3 they showed a show on Figo's back stabbing on Barca, and one of the fans they interviewed had,

PIGO 7,

on the back of his jersey.. Hahahah. La Liga supporters can be so cruel!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i had "The Pope" and number 4 for g popescu at spurs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

eZe^ wrote: »
    A local Catalan tv show? I remember seeing on TV3 they showed a show on Figo's back stabbing on Barca, and one of the fans they interviewed had,

PIGO 7,

on the back of his jersey.. Hahahah. La Liga supporters can be so cruel!!!

And here's the offending pig's head itself. It's a lot smaller than I remember seeing on telly..!

http://www.planetacurioso.com/2006/12/06/%C2%BFque-cosa-no-cuadra-en-esa-foto-sera/

Yes, it was a local Catalan TV show but my Catalan is brutal. I do remember one of the presenters laughing at the 'Gordinho' shirt but a couple of audience members were not happy.

It'll be interesting to see how they get on this season. Guardiola could be gone by Christmas - but at least he got rid of Oleguer Presas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My mate had Babb 6 on a Liverpool jersey because it was the cheapest to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i went into a shop in spain on the last day of a hol a couple of years back and picked up a real madrid jersey and bought it!

had it back in the apartment and on me by the time i realised "beckham 23" was on it :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I saw a guy last year at the National Aquatic Centre in Dublin, with a massive tattoo on his chest, supposed to be Stevie G lifting the Champions League trophy. Worse was the drawing bore no resemblance whatsover to Stevie

Reminds of the guy who had just finished getting a picture of fowler on his leg.... A week before he was sold, saw it in one of the Sunday rags iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Saw "Le Sox" on a Blackburn jeersey in Bray before. Summed that place up really!!

Saw "Le Sox" on a Blackburn jeersey in Bray before. Summed that place up really!!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

DepWankaASS2004.jpg

This team from peru has it hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Ha ha
    2648.jpg
    kuntz-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

My mate had Babb 6 on a Liverpool jersey because it was the cheapest to get!
    oochie wrote: »
    i had:

babb

on two liverpool jerseys back in the day. for a time i was considering getting 'el' added to the end when markus babbel arrived a couple of years later.

i had Babb 6 on this jersey:

babb.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was over at Anfield a few seasons ago for the Liverpool v Norwich game and afterwards I decided in my infinite wisdom to buy one of those awful yellow away jerseys that Liverpool were wearing at the time. Ahead of me in the queue were two young lads, both of which got "I 8 MANCS" on the back of their jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i had Babb 6 on this jersey:

babb.jpeg

lovely jersey that.

i had 7 clough on the back of mine :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Saw a Brazillian playing for Celtic with Rafael on his back, would have been more accurate if he had his real name on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Back in the 90s the bloke who done the PA at Tolka hadn't got the best pronunciation to say the least.

So one fan instead of "Rutherford 11" on the back of his shirt had "Wudafud 11".

Saw one scouse slapper in Tenerife back in the mid-90s with "Dicks 69" on the back of her Liverpool jersey. Nothing like a touch of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

A friend of mine (called morgan) got Morgasm-69 on the back of a celtic jersey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ha ha
    2648.jpg

I remember when Beckham made his United debut, his jersey had "Beckam" on the back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Seen on last summer on the back of a United top

Years

I am guess he was trying to get at Liverpool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Archimedes wrote: »
    I remember when Beckham made his United debut, his jersey had "Beckam" on the back...

Damn you, Lucky I read the rest of the thread before I finished replying.

There was another few high profile examples of this type of thing was there not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Ha ha
    2648.jpg

He is so s**t even the kit man can't remember his name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Archimedes wrote: »

what was worse was that wasnt his debut, he had been at the club for YEARS! that was in a charity shield match, when he had the number 10 for a few years! was great!

on the topic of beckham, i remember when he was leaving utd real fans thaught beckham "demanded" he have the number 7 but knew he wasnt going to get it so jerseys were printed with "beckham 77" :rolleyes:

Advertisement