Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit a car in a car park

Options
  • 05-08-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hit a car in a car park. I stupidly had been driving when had been very tired from not getting much sleep after me baby being born. I waited around and looked for the person to tell him what had happened and gave him my details. We spoke afterwards and was okay with him if i paid for it outside of insurance. I was just wondering with covering myself, what should i write out and get him to sign when handing over the cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Just something like:

Received the sum of €x in full and final payment for damage to car on <date>.

Signed........

Date.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Thx will type/print it out now then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

if you could get someone else to witness the settlement and sign the receipt as well. even though it was in a car park, id make sure to note that there was no injurys.

Kinda like Avns1s
    Received the sum of €x in full and final payment for damage to car on <date>. I also note that there was no personal injury to myself or any third party.

Signed........

Date...........

Witnessed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't think such a disclaimer will protect you against a PI claim down the road. An injury may not become apparent for quite some time afterwards and he has 2 years to submit a claim.

no one was in the car at the time and i had to go look for the person. The damage was only paint removed and little tiny scratches. I've put it like this
    Received the sum of €x in full and final payment for damage to car with registration number xxxxx on <01/08/08>. I also note that there was no personal injury to myself or any third party as no one was present in the vehicle at the time of the accident.

Signed........

Date...........

Witnessed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Grand so. So long as there was no one in the car you will be fine with the receipt as above.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

deceit wrote: »
    Hi, I hit a car in a car park. I stupidly had been driving when had been very tired from not getting much sleep after me baby being born. I waited around and looked for the person to tell him what had happened and gave him my details. We spoke afterwards and was okay with him if i paid for it outside of insurance. I was just wondering with covering myself, what should i write out and get him to sign when handing over the cash?
    Congrats on the baby - the sleepless nights end soon enough
    Anyhow, my point was to say fair play to you for hanging around - most folk are too pig ignorant to do it.

Thx for everyones help.
    I've had a few of those already. (Shows with the scratch on the cars :()
    I try to be as honest and as fair as i can at all times. So was the only option in my opinion. I wouldnt like to be a person whos had someone hit my car and bugger off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Thx for everyones help.
    I try to be as honest and as fair as i can at all times. So was the only option in my opinion. I wouldnt like to be a person whos had someone hit my car and bugger off.

Must say fair play to you deceit. Just got someone smashed to the front left of my car where I parked it at night last Friday. Did few hundred €€ damage and I have no idea who did it. The anger still hasn't fade away yet... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thx for everyones help.

Repect to you m8. Becouse one time i came to car park to mine car, and sow a huge bump in cars wing, it was just an inch from headlight, and that bump in was really deep and bad. And ofc the bastord who did it just ran away...

From now on if i see someone in car park hitting ather car, i will come to that person and make sure, he will stay and wait for owner, or i will stop him and call garda. Sick of them. You buy a car, looking after it like its your steel babe, and some on just hits it and runs away...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

id make sure to note that there was no injurys.

Received the sum of €x in full and final payment for damage to car on <date>. I also note that there was no personal injury to myself or any third party.

"I also note that there was no personal injury to myself or any third party"

or better

"Car 00 MN 1234 was not occupied and no third party was injured"

Were there someone in the parked car they would be the second party !!!!

Otherwise spot on, always get the receipt with the words "In Full and Final Settlement" and with the no injuries declaration .

Keep it safe for 2 years, 2 to sue and one to find you to serve the suit after the suit is taken out .
    Signed........

Date...........

Witnessed...

I got a door whacked by a romanian character who paid up promptly , thats what I wrote for him afterwards and explained why .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hehe..
    It's a receipt, nothing more. Writing "In Full and Final Settlement" is not binding in any way.

Signed, sealed and delivered ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fair enough there was noone in the car at the time but people would and should be very reluctant to sign a document stating they have no personal injuries.
    I was asked to sign such a document when I got knocked off a bicycle and was sending my expenses to the other driver. The doctor told me he sees them all the time and to never sign them

And tbh, since they have two years to bring a claim that document is pretty much worthless in a court or PIAB hearing. It'd be disregarded.

put "full and final settlement" on it if you want but it won't mean anything if this gets disputed in future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Jaysus OP, silly boy

this happens tome every so often, heres how I look at it

Stopping and giving Details 100% a bad idea

Quickly driving away unseen 75% success rate

things may be fineand dandy now, but what happens when the other guy goes to panel beaters and discovers that its gonna cost more than your initial estimate, you are in trouble cos he has your details, a signed letter admitting guilt from you, and thefact that you decided not to call the cops and report the acident.

if you feel that strongly about staying and givin your details then you should have called a Garda to witness the whole thing.

cos its not your word against theirs any more, they have your signed confession.

Expect to get Rode in a most unpleasant manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I would like to think most people will be alright with your honesty, and leave it at that, you pay for the damage as you said, the guy doesn't care once it gets fixed.
    Fair play to you for not driving off, and to mahatma coat big middle finger up to you! mate,
    After having damage done by idiots in car parks costing MY pocket because they are pri*ks and don't have the b*lls to say sorry and pay up disagree. You may get rode as you put it but you may not, get them to get a quote to pay.
    Eh if you hit a parked car you are in the wrong and driving off.......
    Don't know if the gardai will be too interested in a spat in a car park, which is private property after all, would it be classed as a civil matter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

cabrwab wrote: »
    Don't know if the gardai will be too interested in a spat in a car park, which is private property after all, would it be classed as a civil matter?
    If it's normally accessible to the public (e.g. shopping centre / public pay car park / hospital car park) then the Gardai have jurisdiction regardless of whether it's private property.
    If it's a private car park (e.g. apartment complex with controlled access) then it would be a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Stopping and giving Details 100% a bad idea

Quickly driving away unseen 75% success rate

things may be fineand dandy now, but what happens when the other guy goes to panel beaters and discovers that its gonna cost more than your initial estimate

First of all, the actions you suggest would be the actions of a prize a**hole. The forum's charter forbids me from describing what I think of somebody who would earnestly recommend such an action.

Second, given that the OP has taken the time to enquire about this, I would assume the sum he is paying is based on a solid quote, rather than a figure somebody pulled out of thin air.

Third, the owner of the damage car does not have 'a signed letter admitting guilt from <the OP>'. The OP has a signed letter in which the owner of the damaged car asserts that the matter is resolved.

Fair play for doing the right thing OP. You've done the decent thing, and i expect and hope that the other party will do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Please don't feed the trolls.

I have made the payment for this today and he was happy enough to sign it. We waited until a quote was received from a garage before an amount was brought to me to pay. For myself there was only ever the one option, for me to pay for my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Both parties fair and decent... the way it should be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement