Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

leak in a vw golf

Options
  • 05-08-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Just looking for advice. Coolant fluid leaking into passenger footwell of 01 VW golf. Main dealer says leak coming from some kind of radiator/reservoir behind the dash and repairing it will involve them taking off the dash - 2 days labour and a 1500 - 1800 euro bill for me.
    Does this sound mad? would a non dealer mechanic be much cheaper (if I could figure out a way to move car) or should I just get rid of the car?!!! (Have had loads of problems with it).
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a heater matrix maybe.

there is a known faults with Golfs letting water in through the air filter or something. better make sure the fault is the one suggested by the dealer.

Don't bring it near a VW dealer, a regular mechanic can do this job.

If you're thinking of changing the car, it could be a good time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    a heater matrix maybe.

there is a known faults with Golfs letting water in through the air filter or something. better make sure the fault is the one suggested by the dealer.

Don't bring it near a VW dealer, a regular mechanic can do this job.

Heater matrices in Golfs were the cause of a massive recall campaign on Golfs about 15 years ago, but I'd imagine that would have been rectified by 2001 (two models later).

And as per colm's advice, best of getting a competent indy to do the job as the majority of the final bill will be labour - removing the dash takes time. Main dealer's labour rates are high.

@OP - are you 100% sure that it is coolant? Could it be rain water? The reason I ask this is that incorrect fitting of the pollen (cabin) filter cover can result in rain water entering the ventilation system and it usually drips out on to the passenger footwell. From experience, this is the cause of 90% of interior leaks on Golfs, Boras and Passats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Yea thats mostly labour for that price- find a local garage even-doesnt have to be a home mechanic!! Should be half the price!

Advertisement