Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteors/shooting stars?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I have been seeing a lot of them the past few weeks whenever we have a clear sky. I know there is a shower due in August sometime. Are these the begining of this?

Oh, and pardon my ignorance, what is the name of the shower?

Thanks folks...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Perseids as they appear to originally fall from perseus.

the shower is expected to peak after next weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Thanks for that. Appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I've seen a couple myself of late. As is often the case though, it is looking like lots of cloudy night skies to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

You are wrong Flukey!
    Flukey wrote: »
    I've seen a couple myself of late. As is always the case though, it is looking like lots of cloudy night skies to come. :(

There were a few gaps in the cloud cover last night. I observed three meteors. They all travelled from roughly south east-north west. Does this fit with the Perseids shower?

Sorry for bothering ye all but I am becoming very interested in them.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The constellation Perseus is towards the North or Northeast on these nights. The point meteors seem to come from in a meteor shower is known as the radiant. For the Perseids the radiant is in Perseus, though it has no connection to the constellation itself. Most of the meteors appear to emanate from that area, though they can come from anywhere. The Perseids are actually the remains of Comet Swift-Tuttle passing through our atmosphere. If you face northerly and keep a look out that way you should see something. Keep your eyes sweeping around too, as there will be some in other parts of the sky. With meteor showers, the thing you need is patience and a bit of luck, so as to be facing the right way when a really good one comes. They are quite a sight.

Flukey wrote: »
    The constellation Perseus is towards the North or Northeast on these nights. The point meteors seem to come from in a meteor shower is known as the radiant. For the Perseids the radiant is in Perseus, though it has no connection to the constellation itself. Most of the meteors appear to emanate from that area, though they can come from anywhere. The Perseids are actually the remains of Comet Swift-Tuttle passing through our atmosphere. If you face northerly and keep a look out that way you should see something. Keep your eyes sweeping around too, as there will be some in other parts of the sky. With meteor showers, the thing you need is patience and a bit of luck, so as to be facing the right way when a really good one comes. They are quite a sight.

Thanks... I have lots of patience by the way, years of birdwatching trains you...:)

Sky is overcast tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Seeing a lot of them tonight and some really bright long tail ones too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I went outside for 2 minutes last night and I saw nothing.

Space sucks.

Advertisement