Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a living with career & online poker- Viable?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

have to say this is one of the best threads i have seen on boards for a long time!!! good discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

I play 10 tables or so these and I'm happy to get in 40k hands per month, and by 40k hands per month I mean 30k hands lol. Playing 100k hands per month is not the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

in my first 20 days of online poker i played 80k hands 12tabling :P
    went on to play about 120k that month... longest day was 17hours of playing LOL :F

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

I play 10 tables or so these and I'm happy to get in 40k hands per month, and by 40k hands per month I mean 30k hands lol. Playing 100k hands per month is not the norm.

good stuff/ 6 seat or 10 seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Hevad Khan was accused by pokerstars of using a bot as they said it was impossible to play 26 table stts.
    This is nuts and on a single monitor too...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8902770502910175629

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

consultech wrote: »
    Average salary is c. €40-45k????
    No it isn't
    35k p.a. is €673 a week before tax
    Thats about average
    Hevad Khan was accused by pokerstars of using a bot as they said it was impossible to play 26 table stts.

But he is still a annoying prick

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hosef

12+ tabling for a living seems like a sure way to a nervous breakdown!
    I don't see that it's necessary though. To take a more realistic approach, take the following scenario:

4 table, 20 hrs a week at 200NL 6max (4 5-hour days per week)
    80 hands per hour on each table
    Winrate of 4 PTBB/100

4 X 20 X 80 = 6,400 hands per week

1 PTBB = 4, 4 PTBB = 16

Weekly income = 6,400 / 100 X 16 = $1,024 = €682

Rakeback at 33% on this should add about $500 per week, or €333

Total weekly income = €1,000 tax free (equivalent to about €85K salary)

To me this seems like it would be acheivable for a competent player. Am I off the mark on any of the assumptions here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Hosef wrote: »
    12+ tabling for a living seems like a sure way to a nervous breakdown!
    I don't see that it's necessary though. To take a more realistic approach, take the following scenario:

Winrate of 4 PTBB/100

1 PTBB = 4, 4 PTBB = 16

To me this seems like it would be acheivable for a competent player. Am I off the mark on any of the assumptions here?

Rakeback on 6.4k hands would only be about $800 total so 33% of this is about half what you stated above. The rest seems about right.

davidgti wrote: »
    good stuff/ 6 seat or 10 seat?

6max obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

I did 38 sngs on a single monitor with only 4 misclicks & made a slight profit on the round, although i did open fold QQ twice. The worst thing you could ever do is multitable h/u sngs on a single monitor, i tried 8 of them simulateneously, absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »
    Rakeback on 6.4k hands would only be about $800 total so 33% of this is about half what you stated above. The rest seems about right.

Except for these two bits
    Hosef wrote: »
    Winrate of 4 PTBB/100

1 PTBB = 4, 4 PTBB = 16

I don't thing 4BB/100 is sustainable over 320k hands at 200nl (a years worth at above rates) for just a competent player. Alot of players might do these over small samples and move up levels, but to remain here for years will be hard.

Secondly, I think your estimation of €85k salary is a little over shot. (Even using the €1000 a week figures.) With rake back it might come to €800 a week. Which is 40k take home.
    Which is likely about a 50k salary.

You are overlooking plenty of things though.
    If you are taking into account the fact that poker is tax free, then you have to consider the negitive side too. With a salary you have holiday and sick pay. If you take the standard 4 weeks off a year, your down almost 8% of the year. Also include sick days, unseen circustances etc. and you have likely made the tax back up.

I did 38 sngs on a single monitor with only 4 misclicks & made a slight profit on the round, although i did open fold QQ twice. The worst thing you could ever do is multitable h/u sngs on a single monitor, i tried 8 of them simulateneously, absolute nightmare.
    Video or it didnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Yeah cause it only really happened if youtube has it!!

Is there anywhere i could get tips/tricks about muilt-tabling???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

He always looks to me like he's on something.

Also I might remember this wrong but didn't he take a big downswing when he started super-multi-tabling and end up making a loss over a big sample?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

3hors a day for 15 days would get you 36k hands. Do you play other games?

Well I play about 3-4 hours per day, 5 days a week. I could play a lot more obviously, but I think I get the best from myself by limiting the amount I play and I don't lose the motivation to play this way. Also I like doing other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

HalfBaked 7-10 tables when he plays. A standard online session for him is 12-16 hours, though he has played for clos to 24 hours straight in the past few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

that sounds healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

6/8/12/16/24 tables ? Good God. if i have an overlap from 1 tourney to the next and have to play 2 tables, the music goes off !! :D

ianmc38 wrote: »
    HalfBaked 7-10 tables when he plays. A standard online session for him is 12-16 hours, though he has played for clos to 24 hours straight in the past few weeks.

QFT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Did you get moved to table 3, seat 1 last night in the Jackpot and then get paid off very nicely when you held KQ on your SB on a flop of 910J??

If so, I was in seat 3 at the time, red t-shirt and glasses.

Good luck with the plan, I'll say hello next time I see ya

Brian

I can't actually remember, but it rings a bell... Did I knock u out on bubble? And had been joking with you earlier on the corner table coz I kept "stealing ur blind" (Seat 9)? U have a small grey/black square-ish card-guard??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ianmc38 wrote: »

HalfBaked by name Halfbaked by nature...

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

I can't actually remember, but it rings a bell... Did I knock u out on bubble? And had been joking with you earlier on the corner table coz I kept "stealing ur blind" (Seat 9)? U have a small grey/black square-ish card-guard??

I went out in 10th alright, on the bubble but I thought that you were somebody else. I think I can picture you now, you got moved to seat 9 on table three (the one in the corner & u were wearing a black t-shirt I think?) and you...ahem...stole my BB three orbits in a row :eek: - I then raised on the button with K9 (committing myself to make it look like I had a big hand and wasn't folding :confused::o ) and ran into your AJ in the BB to go out on the bubble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Lao Lao wrote: »
    I went out in 10th alright, on the bubble but I thought that you were somebody else. I think I can picture you now, you got moved to seat 9 on table three (the one in the corner & u were wearing a black t-shirt I think?) and you...ahem...stole my BB three orbits in a row :eek: - I then raised on the button with K9 (committing myself to make it look like I had a big hand and wasn't folding :confused::o ) and ran into your AJ in the BB to go out on the bubble

Yep, that was me! Sorry aboot that, if memory serves me right I had 88/1010/AK or somethin the three times I raised!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Very good thread, I wonder how the OP is getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Very good thread, I wonder how the OP is getting on.

Why didnt ya pm him instead of digging this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Whyno wrote: »
    Why didnt ya pm him instead of digging this up?

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Whyno for mod!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement