Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SIMI July figures

Options
  • 05-08-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Available here.

Car sales up by 3,268 compared to July last year, giving a grand total of 16,418 registrations last month. Hardly a "second January" then obviously.

Ford the clear leader this month with 2,028 registrations.

Toyota in second with 1,785.

BMW third with 1,635 registrations:eek:. That means nearly 1 in 10 new cars last month was a BMW! They only ones that got a "second January" really, along with MINI which managed 221 registrations last month. Subaru did very well too, with 61 registrations in July vs 80 in January. Now that they have the all important diesel engines they'll sell much better from here on.

I know certain members of this forum have more access to the SIMI stats than I do, so has anyone have an idea what the breakdown was for diesel vs petrol?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, I'd be interested in the diesel : petrol ratio too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Land Rovers registered Jan - June: 1385
    Land Rovers registered in July: 4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

E92 wrote: »
    BMW third with 1,635 registrations:eek:. That means nearly 1 in 10 new cars last month was a BMW!

Shows the growing trend of everyone and his brother having a BMW now, not very exclusive anymore ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

They are still 25k down on this time last year! The sales pickup is due to all of the customers who hung on for the new tax changes in July. Simple as.

01/07 - 31/07 01/01 - 31/07
    2008 change 2007 3,268 -25,552
    % change 2008 - 2007 24.85% -15.39%

If July '08 was only up 3,000 on July '07, you can expect that the rest of the year will also be crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Cionád wrote: »
    Land Rovers registered Jan - June: 1385
    Land Rovers registered in July: 4 :pac:

Never thought the 2k in road tax and a little rise in VRT for them would kill sales figures so much. X5 I'd imagine is in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

2700 Volvos sold in 08? Where are they?!?!

Nice to see Hyundai/Kia creeping up. If only they'd launch that hybrid...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Never thought the 2k in road tax and a little rise in VRT for them would kill sales figures so much. X5 I'd imagine is in the same boat.

Surprised that Jag managed 93 sales... thought they'd be in a similar boat to LR with high C02 etc. Maybe, for those that want them, the desirability of the XF out-weighs anything else? I mean, no one buys the X-type, do they?

Boo BMW - down with that sort of thing.

Also, Seat - again - another set of cars I never see...

So, Saab, Volvo, Seat - are these stealth cars? Also - Subaru, but they deserve to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

superjosh9 wrote: »
    2700 Volvos sold in 08? Where are they?!?!
    In dealer's showrooms or the partners & directors car park at any medium-large accounting firm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

85% of new Fords were diesel last month, and last months' best selling car was the 3 series:eek:.

That probably means practically everything in the premium segment fills up at the black pump then.

Audi's A4 and the 5 series did extremely well last month too, while the Qashqai sold 741 copies.

For more, see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I haven't sold ANY petrol A4s in the last month and a half. There's no interest at the mo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

AudiChris wrote: »
    I haven't sold ANY petrol A4s in the last month and a half. There's no interest at the mo!

I thought the A4 petrols had relatively good CO2? And isn't there a 2.0 turbo looming with close to 200bhp and diesel-busting CO2 (the one E92 mentioned some time back)??

Is there a diesel myopia taking hold - even where CO2 figures for petrol models are relatively good?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

AudiChris wrote: »

That's unlikely to change in the short term at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

142/921 Audis were petrol = 15.4%
    353/1635 BMW's were petrol = 21.6%
    600/1337 Nissans were petrol = 44.9%
    988/1785 Toyotas were petrol = 55.3%

Too lazy to do anymore for the time being. VW will be pretty close to Audi anyway and you already have Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Is there a list of cars sold with their c02 rating. It would be interesting to know if there had been a sharp drop in high c02 cars, and sharp rise in c02 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »
    85% of new Fords were diesel last month, and last months' best selling car was the 3 series:eek:.

That probably means practically everything in the premium segment fills up at the black pump then.

Audi's A4 and the 5 series did extremely well last month too, while the Qashqai sold 741 copies.

For more, see here.

186 nissan tiidas registered in july!!I feel like crying when i see that statistic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

pburns wrote: »
    I thought the A4 petrols had relatively good CO2? And isn't there a 2.0 turbo looming with close to 200bhp and diesel-busting CO2 (the one E92 mentioned some time back)??

Is there a diesel myopia taking hold - even where CO2 figures for petrol models are relatively good?

YOu're right on both counts pburns - the petrols are pretty clean and getting cleaner BUT there's an incredibly strong diesel myopia at the moment where I'd have to pressure/incentivise someone into a petrol model if I wanted to sell one. Everyone's got diesel on the brain at the moment...

Advertisement