Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 10MB Broadband

Options
  • 05-08-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey all,

I live in Greystones, Co. Wicklow, and aparently I'm able to recieve UPC broadband, I currently have Eircom 2MB BB, and its not great tbo. I just wanted to get a few opinions about UPC's service, reliability, is it acually 10MB etc..

Is it done through Eircoms line's, or do they have their own, (I used to have analogue chorus television) would that mean they use their own infrastructure?

Cheers,

Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Tim131 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I live in Greystones, Co. Wicklow, and aparently I'm able to recieve UPC broadband, I currently have Eircom 2MB BB, and its not great tbo. I just wanted to get a few opinions about UPC's service, reliability, is it acually 10MB etc..

Is it done through Eircoms line's, or do they have their own, (I used to have analogue chorus television) would that mean they use their own infrastructure?

Cheers,

Tim
    Yes they have their own cable infrastructure so it would be using the chorus cable in your house. This means you wont be using the phone line and wouldn't have to pay for line rental anymore-upc provide a phone service or you can swich to a VOIP provider like blueface. Get rid of eircom and switch to UPC as soon as you can! The VAST majority of people on upc are getting the full speeds and are happy- it's amongst the best value broadband in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Cheers for the fast response.

The only thing is, I remember about two or three years ago, I tried to upgrade from analog to digital television and I couldn't do so, something to do with wires or the lack of them. Are the broadband wires the same as the televison ones. How do I go about finding out whether or not I have the appropriate wires?

And will they send engineers out to put the appropriate wires down, in order for me to recieve broadband and phone or is it major work?

Thanks, and sorry for askin a lot of questions, UPC's site is fairly useless...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Tim131 wrote: »
    Cheers for the fast response.

The only thing is, I remember about two or three years ago, I tried to upgrade from analog to digital television and I couldn't do so, something to do with wires or the lack of them. Are the broadband wires the same as the televison ones. How do I go about finding out whether or not I have the appropriate wires?

And will they send engineers out to put the appropriate wires down, in order for me to recieve broadband and phone or is it major work?

Thanks, and sorry for askin a lot of questions, UPC's site is fairly useless...
    Oh I got the impression you already knew upc bb was available to you. You will need to ring them up to get a definitive answer on whether you can get their broadband or not (website only gives a rough idea).
    Yes I'm pretty sure the cable wire that comes into your house is the same one that the broadband would come through. It is a case of whether they have upgraded your area to get digital tv and broadband. The engineer would call out and put in a modem at this point and connect that to a wireless router if you ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Cheers, yeah I'm pretty sure a third party site told me it was availbale in Greystones, so hopefully it is. I'll give 'em a ring cheers.

Btw - the site was getbroadband.ie and I'm lookin on the UPC site I'm trying to find a telephone and BB deal, but they only seem to have one package listed.

Cheers for helping :)

Advertisement