Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid Cooling E8400

• 05-08-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am starting to get into liquid cooling and am a long time overclocker. I really want to over clock my cpu pass 3.30Ghz but the temp is the problem. So does anyone know where I can get a full liquid cooling set?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When you think about water cooling you need to think about a few things.

Where are you going to put it? How big a rad do you want? How much money are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

When you think about water cooling you need to think about a few things.

Where are you going to put it? How big a rad do you want? How much money are you willing to spend?

I have a cooler master stacker. I am looking towards €100 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I have a cooler master stacker. I am looking towards €100 or less.
    :confused::mad:

A rad and pump will cost you that much .....If you cant spend 200-300 euro , you ll better with some good air cooler....And don't even bother with Thermaltake stuff.............

Serious :S. Generally how much would a full set set me back? :S I so need to build a new rig if it will cost that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

• Advertisement

TonyM. wrote: »

Any Irish site?

Any Irish site?

For decent Watercooling gear. Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah there is one. but hes not the cheapest iirc. For under 100€ there is only one option and its not the best looking. But it will happily cool a quad to 3.6ghz with 1.6/7v running through it. Shame you have to buy it through this shower of cunts

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-028-SW&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=1038&name=Swiftech%20H2O%20120%20Compact%20Kit%20(Socket%20462/478/LGA775/754/939/940)

Ive seen people change the rad to a pa120.1 and using clear tubing to make it look less "industrial"

Pump and cpu block are built into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

www.caseking.de
    excellent service!

also there is another german site whose name i forget , aqua cool.de or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

These guys dont look to bad & u will not have to use overclockers.

Home page
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php

Swiftech Pump
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=85&products_id=290

Im thinking of getting that pump my self. Anyone know if its quite ?

They are slightly cheaper then overclockers. But i do not know how much they charge for shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Why watercool a 45nm dual core, anyway? Watercooling (as aircooling) cannot bring the temperatures lower than your ambient, it just has more capacity for the amount of heat that it can dissipate, extremely useful with Quads. Not really needed for Wolfdales, unless your main concern is noise and not overclocking.
    A Thermalright 120 would be more than enough for a 4-4.2GHz overclock, provided you got a half-decent CPU.

depends on ram and board too remember. No point upping the cpu fsb and leaving the ram fsb stock.

But Yeha BC it is very quietm especially if you change the fan on the rad to a yate loon or similar. The only bad thing i have read about the kit is the pump can vibrate a fair bitif not fitted correctly.

Im going to be building a quad well im hoping to do so shortly. And this machine will be on 24/7 I want it to be energy efficient so a 45dia sounds good. And I also want it to be quite so looking at getting a motherboard with no fans on it. Also Will use a fanless video card and would not mind removing the CPU fan and the exhaust fan. This swiftech looks all right and might help me keep the noise down. I will also overclock the machine as best I can.......

It will be used as a server machine but have folding run on all 4 cores at same time. Going to set up a w-lan I think its called so my brother about 200m away will be able to connect up.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Im going to be building a quad well im hoping to do so shortly. And this machine will be on 24/7 I want it to be energy efficient so a 45dia sounds good. And I also want it to be quite so looking at getting a motherboard with no fans on it. Also Will use a fanless video card and would not mind removing the CPU fan and the exhaust fan. This swiftech looks all right and might help me keep the noise down. I will also overclock the machine as best I can.......

It will be used as a server machine but have folding run on all 4 cores at same time. Going to set up a w-lan I think its called so my brother about 200m away will be able to connect up.

A 24/7 overclocked quad core machine, with passive cooling on motherboard, video card and you wouldn't mind removing the CPU and exhaust fan too.
    Good luck with that :)

Aye its not gonna work well. tbh, no real need for quads at all. I got rid of mine as i never used it to its full potential.

Yeh I also want to link it to my 8800gts 512 sli eventhough its being out dated I will over clock that too. My mobo is get with overclock 680i. I may start saving for a good pump. at the moment I have ninja with cpu 3.3 at 48-52idle 60 with crysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Get a good W/B for your CPU like a D-Tek Fuzion or the new Swiftech Apogee GTZ. Use a stress testing program like Orthos to check the temps as it will put it under full load. Use Feser One coolant if you can get it and buy a good radiator at least a 120.2 preferably a 120.3
    I highly recommend http://www.specialtech.co.uk

BadCharlie wrote: »

Ouchh, you lose so much airflow over the board when you get rid of the cpu fan. When I first got into water cooling I picked up a crossflow fan for my stacker to make up for it.

Well i ordered 2 video cards for it, was going to get a fanless. But then i saw what 2 video cards can do in folding.... I have the P180 i was talking about. And seasonic PSU which i think are quite and good. I dont need a SLI MB for the nivida cards as i dont plan on playing games with it. But i will still be able to set up a GPU Folding client for each video card. Now all i need is a Chip and MB with some ram and im sorted.

But yes your the 3rd person to say your system is going to get hot with no airflow. So it looks like the P180 will have the fans running on low and then i will see how that goes. I can always go back and mod remove fans. I might have to get into this Watercooling :). Have an old Amd 2500 which i could test WC on.

You can just mount or hang a quiet 120 mil fan over the cpu area, but you are going to need something there blowing onto the mosfets and northbridge. Most boards are designed so that the airflow moving towards the cpu fan also hit the northbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Hi,
    I am starting to get into liquid cooling and am a long time overclocker. I really want to over clock my cpu pass 3.30Ghz but the temp is the problem. So does anyone know where I can get a full liquid cooling set?

You do realise that you can get your E8400 past 3.3Ghz on a good air cooler. IN fact you shoudl be able to get 4.0Ghz on a decent aircooler and see loads of maybe 60C.

riptide wrote: »
    You do realise that you can get your E8400 past 3.3Ghz on a good air cooler. IN fact you shoudl be able to get 4.0Ghz on a decent aircooler and see loads of maybe 60C.

My point exactly. Absolutely no need to watercool a 45nm dual core, unless you need the silence.

Advertisement