Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken breast

• 05-08-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So on the f word the other night, Ramsay cooked up a chicken dish that I'd like to try

My only question with is the poaching. What exactly does that do? Would it make any difference to leave that out and fry a bit longer? Or do something else?

Anytime I've fried chicken breasts in the past, I've never been able to get that crispy on the outside, moist on the inside thing quite right (I normally pop them in the oven after frying but I can never get the timing just right). Is that what the poaching is doing?

Also, if I do need to poach, what exactly does it mean in this context, just a gentle simmering?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

corblimey wrote: »

My only question with is the poaching. What exactly does that do? Would it make any difference to leave that out and fry a bit longer? Or do something else?

It would make a difference, yes. He poached the breasts in the stock thyme, rosemary, garlic and a pinch of salt. All of these flavours infuse with the chicken breasts as they cook out in the simmering stock. Obviously you'll lose them if you just fry out the chicken on the pan.
    Anytime I've fried chicken breasts in the past, I've never been able to get that crispy on the outside, moist on the inside thing quite right (I normally pop them in the oven after frying but I can never get the timing just right). Is that what the poaching is doing?

The poaching is helping the chicken cook through more evenly. If your pan is hot enough and you fry the chicken skin side down to start after poaching then you shouldn't really have a problem crisping up the skin.
    Also, if I do need to poach, what exactly does it mean in this context, just a gentle simmering?

Exactly, gentle simmering.

Advertisement