Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a spirit measure

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Where would I be able to get a pub sized spirit measure. I wouldn't mind getting myself one so I can see how much whiskey I am drinking at home. Am pretty sure I am pouring myself quadruples!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

A standard Irish pub measure is 35ml and I'm sure I've seen them in the distilery shops in both Midleton and Dublin . I've bought a few online is pub supply type stores - a few proper pub optics too. Your quadruples should get you just 5 drinks from a standard 700 ml :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

shanel23 wrote: »
    A standard Irish pub measure is 35ml and I'm sure I've seen them in the distilery shops in both Midleton and Dublin . I've bought a few online is pub supply type stores - a few proper pub optics too. Your quadruples should get you just 5 drinks from a standard 700 ml :D

35.5ml ;)

But yeah distillery shops alright. and the good ol Celtic Whiskey shop I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I've gotten some optics from www.bargizmos.co.uk, reasonable prices and a very good selection, just make sure you get the Irish 35.5ml and not the English 25.5ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You often get them or shot glasses free with bottles, esp. around xmas, or just ask/nick;) one from your local, many freebie ones will not be 35.5ml. A measure is a 1/4gill 4 gills in a pint. So you could well find yourself a small glass at home and work out what it is.

e.g. there are 16 measures in a pint, find a small glass, now if 8 measures fill your pint then each small glass is a double.

Another trick would be to just keep a 200ml spirit bottle, this is 5.6 measures and easier to eye how much is gone from.

If you have a digital scale you can also work it out, 1ml of water is ~1gram. So put your glass on, zero/tare the scale and pour in water. If you have cut crystal glasses you might be able to fill up to a cut point on the side, or if you have a glass with logo you could fill to a particular point.

Advertisement