Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a good moving company?

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

we don't have a lot of stuff, I'd estimate between 15 and 18 boxes, and fewer than 5 largeish pieces. (Coffee table, par example)

We're moving to Galway, we can't drive, and we're poor. Got any suggestions? If not I'll just ring everyone in the Trades & Services ads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Unfortunately I don't know any prices at all but as far as I'm aware Louis Doherty offers a service.We used him when we moved to our house about 13 years ago so I don't know if he still does it.He is in the shop beside the courthouse and opposite the Garda Station.

On another hand you could hire a van for the day,seeing as you dont have to much it could be the cheaper option.

Is it that ye don't know how to drive or just don't have a car to drive in.If ye cant drive maybe ye know someone who could do the driving for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

we don't know how to drive but John's got a sister who does. I'd like to avoid putting her out if possible, though. If the price difference is huge, we'll certainly consider asking her to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KAYA

Hi Xiney

I used to work in the freight industry and I would recommend that you hire a van for the day. The amount of boxes and especially adding furniture to the lot will cost you quiet a bit. I think the cost of hiring a van is about €100 a day ( Could be wrong ) , but for this type of shipment you would have a handling cost and other charges for a door to door service..

There is a company that regularly do shipping runs from Sligo to Galway called West Coast couriers, they are based in Westport but run shipments up and down the west of Ireland ( hence the name I guess) , I can dig out their number for you , but I can't imagine that the price would be reasonable.

I think the van for the day would be your best and cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

KAYA wrote: »
    Hi Xiney

I used to work in the freight industry and I would recommend that you hire a van for the day. The amount of boxes and especially adding furniture to the lot will cost you quiet a bit. I think the cost of hiring a van is about €100 a day ( Could be wrong ) , but for this type of shipment you would have a handling cost and other charges for a door to door service..

There is a company that regularly do shipping runs from Sligo to Galway called West Coast couriers, they are based in Westport but run shipments up and down the west of Ireland ( hence the name I guess) , I can dig out their number for you , but I can't imagine that the price would be reasonable.

Yeh Noel Gordon sounds like your man.

Would recommend Ciaran Walsh in Sligo if you need a large furniture lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Theres also couple of guys round town that do all sorts of odd jobs (Two men and a Van/Mac G Haulage/John Branley haulage) it sounds like a job for them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

KAYA wrote: »
    Hi Xiney

Holy awesome response batman!

Right. Now to start sucking up to my amazing sister in law :D

Advertisement