Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting alarm ( astect )automatic dial chorus/ntl

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

I have currently an astec alarm which uses the eircom line to call me in case it goes off. I opened the alarm box and I can see 4 wires ( two blue and two white ) which go in pair into two connectors labelled phone line.

I was planning to move to chorus and I was wondering what I need to do in order for the alarm to use the new line. ( eg. how do I wire the alarm to the new chorus box?? )

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is this a land line you are getting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 blue74

No its phone/broadband/tv using Ntl, eircom line will be disabled

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So where does you house phone connect to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

You will more than likely need to run a new 4 core from chorus box to broadband filter before connecting back into digi.I have not yet connected into a new chorus box but I imagine its the same as a eircom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, but how do you open up the astec control panel without the alarm going off showing "tamper" on the display?

• Advertisement

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, but how do you open up the astec control panel without the alarm going off showing "tamper" on the display?

Unless you have the engineer code you dont

g.quagmire wrote: »
    You will more than likely need to run a new 4 core from chorus box to broadband filter before connecting back into digi.I have not yet connected into a new chorus box but I imagine its the same as a eircom line.
    So does Chorus phone service not come in from the exchange in the regular way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

koolkid wrote: »
    Unless you have the engineer code you dont

Would that be the eng code in the install manual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

koolkid wrote: »
    So does Chorus phone service not come in from the exchange in the regular way?

Dont understand fully what your asking but if your on about the filter the broadband on the chorus line will effect the dialler so no it doesnt come the regular way it comes in with broadband no?

g.quagmire wrote: »
    Dont understand fully what your asking but if your on about the filter the broadband on the chorus line will effect the dialler so no it doesnt come the regular way it comes in with broadband no?

What I am trying to establish is where does your regular phone connect to?
    At the end on the day the dialler in the alarm is the same as a normal phone so that will connect to the same pair that your normal phone connects to. The alarm will also need its own broadband filter the same as any other device

• Advertisement

The Factory code 1174 is in the manual but installers usually change it.

I have attached the picture of my alarm ASTEC connection.At the moment there are two phone wires going to one pin of the connector ( phone line ) and two wires going to the second.In order to connect this to chorus, If I buy a telephone cable, cut one end, I will be left with four wires,red,black,green,yellow, how do I connect these wires to the alarm, do they have to be in pair of two? which combinations?
    Originally Posted by Cmar-Ireland View Post

If you do not know the code you could reset the alarm to factory settings, but you better off call the installer and ask the code

blue74 wrote: »
    I have attached the picture of my alarm ASTEC connection.At the moment there are two phone wires going to one pin of the connector ( phone line ) and two wires going to the second.In order to connect this to chorus, If I buy a telephone cable, cut one end, I will be left with four wires,red,black,green,yellow, how do I connect these wires to the alarm, do they have to be in pair of two? which combinations?

If you do not know the code you could reset the alarm to factory settings, but you better off call the installer and ask the code

Ok you have 4 cores 2 are your line in (that will have 50vdc) the second pair is your line out. When you get Chorus will these connections still be live? ie Say you have a phone sockett in the hall. When you have Chorus will you still use that socket in the hall?

On a telephone the Red & Green are the pair you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just to add, if you are connecting your alarm system to your broadband you will need an ATA (analogue terminal adaptor)

Ok you have 4 cores 2 are your line in (that will have 50vdc) the second pair is your line out. When you get Chorus will these connections still be live? ie Say you have a phone sockett in the hall. When you have Chorus will you still use that socket in the hall?

No I wont use that socket anymore. I will have to use the new connection to chorus.If I connect the alarm to the chorus phone device, and my house phone to the line out ( house phone ) on the alarm, it should work, correct?
    Just to add, if you are connecting your alarm system to your broadband you will need an ATA (analogue terminal adaptor)

As far as I know chorus gives you a broadband and a phone device ( which you can connect any digital phone ) which is connected to the broadband device.This means that the phone is not voip. Do I still need this ATA?

Advertisement