Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scaffold piercing lump...

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone,
    I got my scaffold piercing about 8 weeks ago and after a couple of weeks it developed a lump on the inside of the lower piercing, it's kind of red looking most days and normal skin colour on good days, it's swollen all around where the bar goes through.
    I've been doin salt soaks and sometimes diluted tea tree..
    It gets bits of dry skin comin off around the bar and yellow crusty and sometimes some blood too when i clean it.. I'm very self concious about it cause it looks a bit nasty and i have a shaved head so i can't hide it!
    Any advice or thoughts on this? Can i heal it? what might the lump be? Whats the best thing to be soaking it with? Time frame for healing a scaffold?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

I think a scaffold can take up anything from about six weeks to six months to heal (don't quote me on that), sounds like you've a little keloid there, no big worries, can i ask you something? Is the bar too long? I was trying to heal one before, but it took ages because the bar was too long+it'd slip forward+back at night, when i got a properly fitting bar was healed it a couple of weeks.

Daily salt soaks are the best thing for it, don't pick at it, shaved head so +1 for keeping unclean hair away from it. All you can really do is keep it clean+more than likely it'll clear up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

One 5 minute sea salt soak - A mug of hot (but obviously cooled to some degree) boiled water and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt are the ingredients!

Stop with the tea tree for now [and if you do use tea tree make sure it is extremely diluted eg; one drop to a glass of water.

It's still early days in the cartilage piercing world. Never touch it aside from cleaning. Are the balls on the barbell too big? Smaller ones would reduce pressure slightly and also help to reduce catching.

I had a scaffold with a shaved head before; horrible combination when going to the hairdresser, warn them to no end!

Good luck. Personally I think anyone who can heal a scaffold is God. Had to retire mine after 12 months.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WildCatXX

Well I i rang the piercer who did it for me and he tried to tell me it was a keloid over the fone, and to get steroid cream for it and i thought balls to that, so I dropped into another piercing shop and apparently the bar is a bit too short on it and it shouldn't have been done with spikes on the end to start with and he thought the lump was a bacterial issue. So I bought some of their anti bacterial wash and he said if it's not calmed down in a week or ten days they will change the bar for me.
    I'm quite annoyed as i had thought the fella who did it for me had a good reputation but guess it's a bit of cowboy job with **** aftercare advice.:(
    I'm determined to heal this piercing if it's the last thing i do lol, though it seems everyone is telling me 6mnths to a year and they are very tempermental piercings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

WildCatXX wrote: »
    Well I i rang the piercer who did it for me and he tried to tell me it was a keloid over the fone, and to get steroid cream for it and i thought balls to that, so I dropped into another piercing shop and apparently the bar is a bit too short on it and it shouldn't have been done with spikes on the end to start with and he thought the lump was a bacterial issue. So I bought some of their anti bacterial wash and he said if it's not calmed down in a week or ten days they will change the bar for me.
    I'm quite annoyed as i had thought the fella who did it for me had a good reputation but guess it's a bit of cowboy job with **** aftercare advice.:(
    I'm determined to heal this piercing if it's the last thing i do lol, though it seems everyone is telling me 6mnths to a year and they are very tempermental piercings!

I'd love to know where you got it done the first time, so the rest of us can stay clear, but I assume it's against the rules and its only hear-say or something like that, maybe Will can clarify the policy we have on issues like this.

Personally, I got my tongue done in a (reputable) place in Dublin. worst experience ever, was completely off center and I was very unhappy with it. I ended up removing it and getting it redone in another piercing place, where they gave out sh!te about the other place and the job they did the first time.

When I think that if it was a tat, I'd be stuck with a bad job for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Naming places is a bit of a grey area, but as long as you are fair and not out to shoot down a particular place it's generally ok.

A lot of the studio's b!tch and moan about each other, like most companies i suppose... :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Will wrote: »
    Naming places is a bit of a grey area, but as long as you are fair and not out to shoot down a particular place it's generally ok.

A lot of the studio's b!tch and moan about each other, like most companies i suppose... :-/

Thanks for that! :)

Piercers do make mistakes, as do tattoo artists. Everyone can have an off day.
    A person I used to know got a piercing done, she went back to the place and a piercer there told her it was poorly done. She removed it and told her to come back in a few months to get it redone for free. Which she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WildCatXX

well folks...the scaffold was done by glen in fantasia...

Well ok, first off spikes at the end in place of balls isn't really much of a factor.
    Wildcatxx, keep cleaning it and give it time. Tea tree, wouldn't personally recommend it but as !!! said if you are insisting on using it dilute it hugely else it will just p!ss of the piercing. You are essentially dealing with 2 piercings anyway so it is a lot tougher on your system than a regular ear piercing.

In my opinion - the spike ends are a factor. Since the surface of them against your ear is flat, the crusties have abetter chance of accumulating, thus, if it was a ball, the crusties would just 'rub' off and not cause as much irritation.
    Doesn't sound too big of a deal but the flat end of the labret in my tragus caused me problems to absolute no end.

:)

• Advertisement

depends on a whole host of things, we dont know what type of scaffold it is, it could be vertical... anything

however !!! yeah i agree to a point

rory you shoulda picked a better username damn it

Very good point! It's quite an annoying username - I think I only joined here to make one post at the time so I wasn't thinking too far ahead. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

!!! wrote: »
    ...but the flat end of the labret in my tragus caused me problems to absolute no end.

Maybe if you stopped putting your lower lip in your ear it might work out better ;):p

Advertisement