Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistols

Options
  • 05-08-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Feeling the need for a new purchase.

How do 9mm pistols go down with the Super in Coolock does anybody know?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Why don't you have a chat with your Firearms Officer? You may get umpteen different views from fellow boards members, but you won't know for sure until you make your application.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

That's way too sensible. Plus there's getting hold of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's also the point that the FO doesn't make the decision, the Super does. We've already been told (by the Gardai) to contact the Super directly if the FO (or whomever's on the desk) says no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    There's also the point that the FO doesn't make the decision, the Super does. We've already been told (by the Gardai) to contact the Super directly if the FO (or whomever's on the desk) says no.

Indeed, but if the FO says yes or "shouldn't be a problem" then there's no need to call on the Super unless there is a problem :)

Either way, you still have to make your application to your local Garda station, so that's the best place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Oh dear, Is it me or may some FO`s not like this? "go over my head will yea boyo"

image of your application been made into a paper plane and tossed around the station for afew weeks:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

chem wrote: »
    Oh dear, Is it me or may some FO`s not like this? "go over my head will yea boyo"
    I can well imagine that they might not like it, but there's nothing they can do on either side of it chem; it's straight from Superintendent Clarke. And it's hard to make an application into a paper plane when it's sitting in the Super's intray.

I can well imagine that they might not like it, but there's nothing they can do on either side of it chem; it's straight from Superintendent Clarke. And it's hard to make an application into a paper plane when it's sitting in the Super's intray.

True but guess what. "oh is that his cars rear break light not working, and he didnt signal while leaving the station car park! Might just be having a word with him on his home security in the not to distant future as well"

Em, is that yes, no or don't know.

Anyone actually got one, or been turned down for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

You say you feel the need for a 9mm pistol.......

The answer is:
    If you have a legitimate use for a 9mm pistol,
    If you meet the criteria,
    Club membership, security, can demonstrate a need for the firearm for sporting purposes.

Then fill in an application form at your Garda station,
    Your District Superintendent will make a decision,
    based on your particular application.

If the need your feeling is not strong enough,
    that without fore knowledge of what that decision might be,
    you would not be prepared to submit an application,
    because it might involve more than a rubber stamping exercise by the Superintendent.

Perhaps the need your feeling is not that strong after all.....

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

dresden8 wrote: »
    Feeling the need for a new purchase.

How do 9mm pistols go down with the Super in Coolock does anybody know?

Thanks

Hi dresden, are you a member of a fullbore pistol target shooting club?

• Advertisement

Dvs wrote: »
    You say you feel the need for a 9mm pistol.......

The answer is:
    If you have a legitimate use for a 9mm pistol,
    If you meet the criteria,
    Club membership, security, can demonstrate a need for the firearm for sporting purposes.

Then fill in an application form at your Garda station,
    Your District Superintendent will make a decision,
    based on your particular application.

Now that's naive in the extreme.

Yes to all questions.

That don't mean the Super will sign off. Have you read any threads on this forum?

murph226 wrote: »
    Hi dresden, are you a member of a fullbore pistol target shooting club?

Yes.

Will clarify.

Yes, I am a member of a "proper" gun club that caters for centrefire pistol.

Yes, I already have a firearms certificate for a rimfire rifle.

Yes, I have secure storage and know I will probably have to upgrade for a pistol i.e. possibly second small safe for ammo, bolt from rifle, slide/barrel from pistol in main rifle safe and other permutations.

Yes, I have a house alarm plus I have Eircom phonewatch.

Yes, I want to target shoot the pistol, not just watch Chuck Norris movies naked while fondling it.

But........

All that don't mean crap if it's a blanket no from the Super on pistols. Don't know if I want the hassle of a court case, which as Sparks has pointed out, will bite everybody in the ass in the end.

So back to the original question.

Does this Super grant where possible, or is it a court job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

i applied for a cert for a sig p226 on the 18th of june and i am still waiting, although i got good news recently that i should have it soon.

given your experience and security setup, i cant see you having any problems, then again i dont know your super?

nobody even came to check my security setup yet, i presume they will?

is there anybody in your club with a pistol from coolock?

not just watch Chuck Norris movies naked while fondling it.

Well, maybe a small element of this.

No, only joking.

My club isn't local to me as clubs seem to be elsewhere i.e. not northside. I don't know everybody from my club as it is quite large and I'm an anti-social fecker. The people I do know, not here. I value the anonymity of the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Now that's naive in the extreme.

Yes to all questions.

That don't mean the Super will sign off. Have you read any threads on this forum?

What do you feel is naive about it,
    this is the only way to get your question answered.

I did not state that it would mean that the Superintendent would sign off on it, You are still looking for some kind of guarantee that it will be approved before going to the trouble of applying, there are none.

Just because the Superintendent has issued a licence to someone else for a pistol does not guarantee you will be approved.

Dvs.

What do you feel is naive about it,
    this is the only way to get your question answered.

I did not state that it would mean that the Superintendent would sign off on it, You are still looking for some kind of guarantee that it will be approved before going to the trouble of applying, there are none.

Just because the Superintendent has issued a licence to someone else for a pistol does not guarantee you will be approved.

Dvs.

Wow, I never saw it like that. Thanks for the update.

Okay,

My last answer to Dvs was smart arse.

To satisfy his inner barrack room lawyer I will re-phrase the question as:

Has anybody ever gotten a pistol licence from this Super or has he given a blanket no. Has he imposed reasonable restrictions, or unreasonable restrictions?

Will Dvs ever be satisfied with the question, never mind the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Okay,

My last answer to Dvs was smart arse.

To satisfy his inner barrack room lawyer I will re-phrase the question as:

Has anybody ever gotten a pistol licence from this Super or has he given a blanket no. Has he imposed reasonable restrictions, or unreasonable restrictions?

Will Dvs ever be satisfied with the question, never mind the answer?
    While Dvs' response to your initial post might perhaps have been couched a little differently, he voiced a concern that many shooters (and Gardai and DOJ people) have as regards people taking a notion to own a pistol for no great reason other than they'd just like to have one with no particular 'good reason' (as currently acceptable to the licensing authority, ie: target shooting) in mind.
    You've since clarified that you are indeed a member of a recognised pistol target shooting club, are already a firearm certificate holder, and have a high level of security on your home; in your opening post though, you merely stated that you were "feeling the need" for a 9mm pistol.
    The procedure he outlined is how you'll have to make the application in any event, no matter what the attitude of the particular Superintendent in this case.
    Besides someone here providing specific knowledge of Coolock, you'll very likely get a good feeling for the lay of the land by having a chat with your local FO or whoever normally deals with firearms stuff in your local station, or else by asking around your club whenever the opportunity arises.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard any horror stories about Coolock, but I haven't been asking about it either.

You are still looking for some kind of guarantee that it will be approved before going to the trouble of applying
    Actually, he wasn't. Not in the first post and not at any subsequent point. What he was doing was asking if he was likely to run into trouble with this specific superintendent. Which is a perfectly straightforward question, regularly asked on here, and which has significant implications because if it is likely, he'll keep logs and details in finer detail right from the get-go than he otherwise would, which would be of great importance if he did go to the court appeals route.

And I think it should be noted that many posters here in the past have expressed a wish to know the outcome of a Super's decision ahead of time - both in fair cases - such as before they get house alarms or do other building work, for example; and in cases better described as wishful thinking.
    No, but that's not what he was asking about - he was asking about the exact opposite in fact.

• Advertisement

Why does a simple question, when asked on the internet, always degenerate into this?

I said, you said, I refer to your third post three pages ago whe you mis-spelt a word, crap.

I mean, come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Will clarify.

..............Yes, I want to target shoot the pistol, not just watch Chuck Norris movies naked while fondling it.

Good to hear you want to do both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Why does a simple question, when asked on the internet, always degenerate into this?

I said, you said, I refer to your third post three pages ago whe you mis-spelt a word, crap.

I mean, come on.
    It's the nature of the beast, I'm afraid. :)

Have you had any luck finding out the attitude of your Super to handguns?

I'll be in the company of a bunch of handgun owners over the weekend and I'll see if anyone knows anything on the subject.

Thanks Rovi.

packas wrote: »
    Good to hear you want to do both :D

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Well, maybe a small element of this.

No, only joking.

My club isn't local to me as clubs seem to be elsewhere i.e. not northside. I don't know everybody from my club as it is quite large and I'm an anti-social fecker. The people I do know, not here. I value the anonymity of the internet.

Northsider
    Likes guns
    Anti-social
    And stalks the internet

Do you have shifty eyes and a beard?:D;)

Know what your getting at. My ex-local super would not issue any pistol certs unless he was draged to court. Meath/Louth. New super in now so will give him a go and see if he is any nicer to deal with:rolleyes:

Well, dresden - I told you that you'd get umpteen different views on your question. No one from the Coolock district/area seems to have replied with first-hand knowledge. Instead, the thread has spiralled into the usual craphole :(
    I'd still recommend calling the station and finding out when the F.O. is rostered on, and calling down to see him. You've more chance of seeing him than getting to talk to the Super on a theoretical application for a pistol licence.

I'm still holding out for Rovi.

I had to give more information here than I had to give the Guards for my rifle licence.

I had to give more information here than I had to give the Guards for my rifle licence.

My point exactly. The Gardai just want to know that you have a genuine reason for applying for the licence, have somewhere to shoot and have a safe place for storing the firearm etc. Pressure from fellow Boardsies have forced you into revealing your Chuck Norris fetish:D And you thought that you could be anonymous on the internet:eek:

• Advertisement

It's not a fetish, it's perfectly normal, as I was just telling Max Moseley the other day.

Em, er.............I'll get me coat.

Advertisement