Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistols

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I did a bit of asking around over the weekend and I don't have anything particularly concrete to report, I'm afraid.

I couldn't find anyone actually from the area, but a couple of people know people in the Coolock District with pistol Firearm Certificates, so it has been done.
    As far as they know though, those Certificates were issued under a previous Superintendent or while there was an Acting Inspector in charge, and it appears that there's now a new Superintendent in the District and no-one knows how pistol applications are regarded by him.

The people I spoke to didn't volunteer the names/details of the Coolock residents they know, and I didn't (and won't) look for them.

So, here's where it stands as far as I know:
    On the downside, there's a new Superintendent and no-one (that I can find) knows his attitude to civilian held pistols.
    On the upside, there already are pistol Firearm Certificates in the District, so the FO and CPO are familiar with them and successful applications have been made there in the past.

What it boils down to then, is that you'll have to make your application in the usual way (with lots of supporting documentation detailing your club membership, security arrangements, safety course certificates/qualifications, plans for shooting competitions/disciplines for which the pistol is required, etc, etc; the more supporting paperwork, the better), and let the system take its course.

You have some precedent on your side in that pistol Certs have already been issued in the District, so a well presented application should have every chance of success.
    The big unknown is the attitude to such applications in general of the new Superintendent, and I'm afraid I can't shed any light on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Thanks Rovi

I'll blaze that trail in a few weeks hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

I also know people in coolock who have told me that the FAO is a bit of a hero! he loves his job to much, He takes a dislike to people very fast and he is a 10 faced person, meaning he will tell you one thing but in fact he is doing another.

I have been told of a guy who has gotten the permit but the FAO had it locked in his draw for a year, He was telling the person it still never came,

Let us know how you get on, Cheers

Advertisement