Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One for E92

Options
  • 05-08-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭

Would this entice you over to the Diesel Camp I wonder :rolleyes:

The new BMW ALPINA D3 Bi-Turbo Coupe

alpina-d3-bi-turbo-coupe.jpg

The factor with which the new D3 Coupe is best compared to its rivals is its Power-To-Weight ratio; an equation commonly applied in motor sport.

But, with heavily increased personal taxation designed to encourage energy saving and lowered emissions, the calculation is assuming wider relevance to drivers - especially those in the select niche at which this latest ALPINA is aimed.

As epitomised by the D3 Coupe, gaining extra performance simply by substituting a larger engine is alien to the ALPINA philosophy. Instead, the manufacturer, working closely with BMW, maximises the sporting potential of existing units.

ALPINA engineers have taken BMW’s state-of-the-art twin turbo diesel engine from the 123d and increased power to 214hp; producing more horsepower per litre than any other engine in a current BMW or BMW ALPINA road car.

‘Added lightness’ makes a significant further contribution to the remarkable figures achieved by the new model.

The extra power, lightness of the engine, plus additional weight saving technology means an overall power-to-weight ratio of 146hp per tonne – virtually matching BMW’s own 330d Coupe.

NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT BITS...!!! :eek:

The car is capable of 152mph and 0-62mph in 6.9 secs and yet the official fuel consumption and emission figures tell a very different story: 52.3mpg (overall EU) and 143g/km! (manual gearbox version).

This year, around one hundred lucky UK drivers will get all the performance and exclusivity they would expect from an ALPINA but with running costs (and, for company car drivers, benefit in kind charges) they could only dream of, until now.

ALPINA GB, part of the Sytner Group, has been the sole UK importer for ALPINA since 1983. ALPINA has worked closely with BMW since 1961, with shared warranty coverage since 1964. ALPINA was registered as an automobile manufacturer to ISO standards in 1983.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

So then how much are we looking at over here inclusive of vrt??Those figures are quite a feat, i have to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Nope - but not for the reason you may think:D.

Technically speaking it is of course even better than BMW's own 123d.

However, being only a 4 cylinder engine, it is still going to be as coarse, noisy and unrefined as all 4 cylinder engines, especially diesel engines are. All that said it is easily the best 4 pot diesel money can buy.

The problem with this car is that the facelifted 330d is in the same VRT band as this car but has the far superior straight 6, which means it's far quieter, smoother and most of all far better sounding. Straight 6 diesels don't sound half bad at all; they're nicer than a 4 cylinder petrol for instance for noise:D.

Next year's 330d even manages 47.9 mpg average fuel consumption, only 4.4 mpg worse than this car, well worth the superior driving characteristics and extra power not to mention likely superior reliability too because. It is artificially limited to 155 mph(vs Alpina's 152) and is 0.8 seconds faster to 60 mph too.

The article is wrong about specific power btw; BMW's new 740i manages 326 bhp, or 109 bhp per litre roughly from its 3.0 litre petrol. Alpina's own B3 Bi-Turbo has an even greater specific power output at 120 bhp per litre from the same 3.0 petrol; meanwhile the B5 and B6 have a specific power output of 120 bhp per litre from their 4.4 V8 petrol. The D3 has 107 bhp per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

E92 wrote: »

However, being only a 4 cylinder engine, it is still going to be as coarse, noisy and unrefined as all 4 cylinder engines, especially diesel engines are. All that said it is easily the best 4 pot diesel money can buy.

The problem with this car is that the facelifted 330d is in the same VRT band as this car but has the far superior straight 6, which means it's far quieter, smoother and most of all far better sounding. Straight 6 diesels don't sound half bad at all; they're nicer than a 4 cylinder petrol for instance for noise:D.

Next year's 330d even manages 47.9 mpg average fuel consumption, only 4.4 mpg worse than this car, well worth the superior driving characteristics and extra power not to mention likely superior reliability too because. It is artificially limited to 155 mph(vs Alpina's 152) and is 0.8 seconds faster to 60 mph too.

The article is wrong about specific power btw; BMW's new 740i manages 326 bhp, or 109 bhp per litre roughly from its 3.0 litre petrol. Alpina's own B3 Bi-Turbo has an even greater specific power output at 120 bhp per litre from the same 3.0 petrol; meanwhile the B5 and B6 have a specific power output of 120 bhp per litre from their 4.4 V8 petrol. The D3 has 107 bhp per litre.

I give up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

However, being only a 4 cylinder engine, ......blah, blah, blah,...... The D3 has 107 bhp per litre.

You know too much! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

vectra wrote: »
    I give up :D
    If it makes you feel any better, if I were buying a facelifted 3 series in the morning, the 330d would easily be my choice:D! The point is that the Alpina D3 is simply not the best 3 series diesel there is. I wouldn't mind but the 330d is in the same VRT band and all.

How can you not like straight 6 noise and refinement, 0-100 in 6.1 seconds, 47.9 mpg AND €290 road tax per annum all in the one car:D? The fact it's a diesel is well worth all of that, and best of all it can be had in Euro 6 guise, making it as clean as a Euro 4 petrol too:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If it makes you feel any better, if I were buying a facelifted 3 series in the morning, the 330d would easily be my choice:D! The point is that the Alpina D3 is simply not the best 3 series diesel there is. I wouldn't mind but the 330d is in the same VRT band and all.

How can you not like straight 6 noise and refinement, 0-100 in 6.1 seconds, 47.9 mpg AND €290 road tax per annum all in the one car:D? The fact it's a diesel is well worth all of that, and best of all it can be had in Euro 6 guise, making it as clean as a Euro 4 petrol too:D.

What about the 335d?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wouldn't a Passat 130 be just as quick in real life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

aye, but you cant do doughnuts in the passat:)

VH wrote: »
    aye, but you cant do doughnuts in the passat:)

And I dont think it would have the same feeling while driving it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

vectra wrote: »
    And I dont think it would have the same feeling while driving it :rolleyes:

Unless maybe it's the 4.0L W8 4Motion version.

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Unless maybe it's the 4.0L W8 4Motion version.

Since when has a Passat 130 got that spec? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

colm_mcm wrote: »

It'd be far quicker. And then if you got it chipped, cause the TDI engine is the only engine in the world that you can chip, it could out run the Alpina tuned 335d when that comes out too. And a Veyron, even though the Veyron uses a 1.9TDi engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

sorry but ive driven old passats new passts they dont handle well at all particulary the old model and the new model just feels cheap,the gearbox is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

joeperry wrote: »
    sorry but ive driven old passats new passts they dont handle well at all particulary the old model and the new model just feels cheap,the gearbox is awful.

He was trolling, funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Possibly, but you wouldn't know 'cos you wouldn't see it with all the black smoke :p

Advertisement