Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher Gym

• 05-06-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Wondering if Kingfisher do swimming lessons for non members? Learned to swim at the end of last year. Currently swimming about 30 lengths a session (45mins) in the Crystal pool 2 times a week but think I need a bit of fine tuning.

Finding it tough to increase the number of lengths and find that my swimming gets a bit ragged towards the end. I'm pretty happy overall but think my breathing technique is not perfect and find myself gasping a bit towards the end of the later lengths. Hopefully just need a little help to improve the breathing and overall technique.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not sure about Kingfisher, i'll ask someone though, but generally adult lessons are geared towards beginners

In Splashworld in Tramore there is a good stroke analysis session for lane swimmers every Friday from 8 - 9 (think he's away for a few weeks though). You just pay for the lane swim (around a fiver i think) and he's on the bank to give advice for the hour if needed. Could be more suited to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Not sure about Kingfisher, i'll ask someone though, but generally adult lessons are geared towards beginners

In Splashworld in Tramore there is a good stroke analysis session for lane swimmers every Friday from 8 - 9 (think he's away for a few weeks though). You just pay for the lane swim (around a fiver i think) and he's on the bank to give advice for the hour if needed. Could be more suited to you
    Great! That does sound like exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you!

I'm a member there and i've used it myself a few times, I think the guy that does it told me he's not around for most of June but i'll ask him if I see him out there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I would have tought Kingsfisher and Waterford Crystal offered more then Splashworld? I always see Splashworld as a good place for beginners or a quick session in the gym! :)

Sully wrote: »
    I would have tought Kingsfisher and Waterford Crystal offered more then Splashworld? I always see Splashworld as a good place for beginners or a quick session in the gym! :)
    They are both very good pools but the only lessons they give (certainly in the case of the Crystal) are beginners 1, beginners 2 and improvers. I've done all three and they were good enough but all of the lessons were in groups. I think I'd like to get maybe one or two lessons one on one.

• Advertisement

Splashworld's lessons are beginners or improvers only too, and even the improvers standard would be much too low for someone who can swim 20 lengths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nateireann

Hi,

attached you can find the timetables for the public hours in Kingfisher.

I wrote them because I was interested in joining the gym, but they told me that they don't accept members for less than 1 year, so they sent me this timetable for public hours.

It is €8 for a swim and it is €10 for use of the gym.

Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Hi all,

Just wondering do many of yee go to Kingfisher in Waterford and how would ye rate it against what else is on offer ? I'm half thinking about joining a gym just to tone up properly.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

kingfisher gym=good
    kingfisher everything else=not good

sorry for not elaborateing. try "search" as there has been a few thread's on this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I've never tried the Gym but the last time I was home I was in the pool and I have to say I've swum/swam in nicer pools - it was so white everywhere that I whacked my head off the pool side when doing the backstroke because there was nothing on the ceiling that you could gauge your position from.....

And without wanting to sound like a total snob BUT the price you pay for membership seems huge (a) considering they then go and let the general public in and (b) generally the facilities didn't seem to warrant the membership cost.

But that said, if you live near it, there really isn't anywhere else that side of the city.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill merge this with the exsisting thread discussing Kingsfisher :)

Topics Merged!

I've joined Kingfisher myself at this stage and am up to 40 lengths so I'm not so much in need of lessons anymore. :)

I must agree with some of the posts here regarding Kingfisher though. I dont use the gym so cant comment on that but I think the facilities in the pool are not that great. Very sterile looking but apart from that the sauna is never working and the steam room is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ByrdsFan

I spoke to them the other day & found out that even members have to pay 5 euro to use the tennis court each time. I would have expected that all facilities in there would be free of charge once the membership fee had been paid :(

Advertisement