Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Additional 12v sockets

• 05-08-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm wanting to add some 12v sockets to the habitation area as I don't have any in there and don't want to run the engine battery down using an extension from the lighter socket.

I've bought one of the "3 gang" sockets from Lidl, with the cigarette lighter plug on the end. Is it just a case of cutting off the cig plug and wiring it in, or do I need fuses etc...?

Or there are any other alternatives on the market (possibly on ebay, although I'm confused at what I'm looking for)??

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A fuse always is a good idea ...just splice one in where you cut the plug off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Cheers.... what size of fuse would you put on a 12v circuit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Depends on what you want to run off the sockets ...if it's just for charging things 2 amps (or less) should do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I'm going to do the same. I found an unused fuse on the "fuseboard" for the leisure battery. I think it it there for an electric step (which is not fitted on my MH). I'm going to wire in to that directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I bought a 12v socket from a caravan supplier today to fit to the van (didn't ask about it whilst I was there), when I get it home, it's only got one wire coming from it... is this correct?

Also thinking about fuses... do you really need one? Most of the plugs that fit them tend to have a fuse already fitted (phone chargers, sat nav charger, electronic game plugs etc...)

Chris

• Advertisement

You can never have enough fuses. Some of those double adapters you can buy for the cigarette lighters are rubbish. I had a DVD player and a Satnav plugged into one of them in the car before and it started to melt to the point where it was about to go on fire. None of the fuses in the car, the double adapter or the plug actually blew, I don't know why??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

*Kol* wrote: »
    You can never have enough fuses. Some of those double adapters you can buy for the cigarette lighters are rubbish. I had a DVD player and a Satnav plugged into one of them in the car before and it started to melt to the point where it was about to go on fire. None of the fuses in the car, the double adapter or the plug actually blew, I don't know why??

HI. sounds like you reversed the polarity.In 12v circuits earth and neutral are i think from the same source.so if the polarity is changed you may cause a fire,at best you will burn out the circuit.
    boyoh :eek:

boyoh wrote: »
    HI. sounds like you reversed the polarity.In 12v circuits earth and neutral are i think from the same source.so if the polarity is changed you may cause a fire,at best you will burn out the circuit.
    boyoh :eek:

I think that the two things plugged into the double adapter were two much for it. It was a cheap adapter. There was no wiring done by me. They were all shop bought items. I have bought a better one since.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

*Kol* wrote: »
    I think that the two things plugged into the double adapter were two much for it. It was a cheap adapter. There was no wiring done by me. They were all shop bought items. I have bought a better one since.

Great,glad to hear it was'nt serious.boyoh:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Car cigaratte lighters generally work on a 30 amp fuse. The cable on many cheap adaptors is only suitable for 10 amp.
    Also thinking about fuses... do you really need one? Most of the plugs that fit them tend to have a fuse already fitted (phone chargers, sat nav charger, electronic game plugs etc...
    The fuses in appliances are only there to protect the appliance, not the car/van. You need a fuse to protect the circuit to the socket, in case of accidental short circuit/overload. This fuse should be less than the current carrying capacity of the wiring used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

chrisblack wrote: »
    I bought a 12v socket from a caravan supplier today to fit to the van (didn't ask about it whilst I was there), when I get it home, it's only got one wire coming from it... is this correct?

Yeap. The mounting point should be metal and it'll make the negitive connection back through the chassis, just make sure you mount to something earthed.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yeap. The mounting point should be metal and it'll make the negitive connection back through the chassis, just make sure you mount to something earthed.

That limits the amount of useful places that you can install it on a MH. You might have to hook an earth wire up to it.

Advertisement