Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnar back in MMA action

• 05-08-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

He's fighting Heath Herring this Saturday night/Sunday morning. What is everyone's predictions?

It's so hard to tell given that Lesnar's been involved in about 3 minutes of action in his 2 MMA fights.

I think Herring is going to be a really tough test for him. I see Lesnar winning by decision as long as his gas tank is ok. By no means an easy fight though.

Here's an article by Meltzer from yahoo:

Lesnar faces must-win against Herring

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports Aug 4, 3:44 pm EDT

Yahoo! Sports

On Saturday night, Brock Lesnar goes into the cage with Heath Herring to answer a question: Is previous fame heading into a mixed martial arts career a blessing or a curse?

Lesnar, a former NCAA wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment star, is one of the greatest athletic prospects to ever come into the sport. He has size, strength and, most of all, incredible quickness and reflexes for a man who had to cut weight to make the 265-pound heavyweight limit.

But as he heads into Saturday’s UFC 87 showdown against rugged veteran Heath Herring, he runs the risk that his headlining fame will be over just as quickly as it started.

“There’s always pressure to win in every circumstance,” said Lesnar. “Me, being very new, nobody wants to follow a loser. I don’t want to say my back is against the wall, but I put pressure on myself. There’s no added pressure in my mind, but I want to win the fight.”

Lesnar can’t afford a second straight loss on a major pay-per-view event and still be considered a long-term main eventer.

And with a hefty contract, Lesnar (1-1 overall; 0-1 UFC) is unlikely to be kept around unless he can be a major pay-per-view seller. It’s not a lock that if he loses he’ll be gone, but if he looks bad or is knocked out, it’s a distinct possibility. UFC last year cut Mirko Cro Cop, a similarly highly paid heavyweight, after two losses.

“I plan on being around for a while,” said Lesnar.

After signing a lucrative UFC deal, Lesnar’s first match, on Feb. 2, was against Frank Mir, a former UFC heavyweight champion, who is noted for being one of the best submission heavyweights in the sport. Lesnar looked like an unstoppable, but also undisciplined, force – for about 85 seconds. Lesnar exploded for takedowns that were more like violent linebacker hits. His quickness in moving on the ground was freakish for a man of his size, leaving Mir in immediate disbelief. Lesnar was battering the former champ on the ground, who kept thinking to himself to just keep moving so the match wouldn’t be stopped. Lesnar even knocked Mir down with a punch.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Five seconds later, it was over, and Mir’s arm raised in victory.

“I had a dominant position and I stood up and made an amateur mistake,” said Lesnar.

Lesnar got to his feet after escaping an armbar on the ground, leaving his leg behind, and Mir caught Lesnar in a kneebar, causing him to tap out. It was a spot Lesnar drilled regularly in practice before the fight, and even more after.

In response to the loss, Lesnar added Rodrigo “Comprido” Medeiros, a seven-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion, to his team of coaches.

“I worked a lot of stand-up this camp,” he said. “We worked on all aspects of wrestling, a lot of jiu-jitsu defense, a lot of leg kick defense. Heath has a strong right hand and is well-rounded with his kicks. We haven’t left any rock unturned for this fight.

“First and foremost, I didn’t like to lose,” Lesnar said. “Nobody likes to lose. I have to be a little more relaxed. I’m a little more relaxed and a little more polished. I’ve had a few more months to train. The Brock Lesnar now against the Brock Lesnar then, I’d beat him.”

The estimated 600,000 buys Lesnar’s match with Mir did on pay-per-view is bigger than any boxing or MMA match has done so far this year, and among the biggest in MMA history. Even more impressive, UFC sources indicated nearly half had never purchased a UFC event before.

Because UFC president Dana White saw the potential of bringing new fans to the sport, Lesnar walked into the company as one of its highest paid fighters, at a $250,000 base guarantee plus undisclosed bonuses.

But because of that same drawing power, and the cost, his early path is opposite to how UFC has treated similar heavyweight prospects Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez, or how Elite XC has booked Kimbo Slice.

The others have been given lower or mid-level opponents to start out with to build their reputation. UFC decided that with what they were paying Lesnar, there was going to be no such slow grooming process.

“I said from the beginning I didn’t want any easy fights, and Heath is not an easy opponent,” said Lesnar.

Things are a lot different in match No. 2. The company did an intense marketing campaign around his debut, pushing him as a former WWE champion, showing clips of his pro wrestling matches and using him as an outsider from pro wrestling coming into UFC to see what happens if a pro wrestler were to fight for real.

But for this fight, things are different. Lesnar is no longer a novelty act to either the media or the audience. He’s a name fighter, but one who has to prove himself. He hasn’t been marketed as hard as he was for the first show. He’s clearly the draw for the live show and expected to be the most popular fighter on the show, which heading into the week has sold 11,000 tickets for $2.2 million. That’s a 180-degree turn from the Las Vegas crowd, which booed him out of the arena, seeing him as a fake pro wrestler invading their sport. But on a national basis, the main event is clearly Georges St. Pierre’s welterweight title defense against Jon Fitch.

“I think experience is something that is much needed,” admitted Lesnar, now 31, facing a man who is actually a year younger than he is even though he’s almost a pioneer heavyweight in the sport.

Texan Herring has 41 pro fights over the past 11 years, in nearly every major organization. He became a star in Japan at the age of 22, and has been in the ring with a Who’s Who list of the greatest heavyweights of all-time.

“For me, I’ve been able to get a lot of experience in the training room,” said Lesnar.

Herring, a big star during PRIDE’s heyday in Japan when he was known as “The Texas Crazy Horse” for his unique multi-colored hair, noted he’s beaten men bigger than the 6-2 ½, 277-pound Lesnar, as well as higher credentialed wrestlers. He’s best known for a 2000 win over Tom Erikson, a 300-pounder with better amateur credentials than Lesnar, who had never lost up to that point. But Erikson was 36 and had never focused 100 percent on the sport the way Lesnar has. Herring also beat Mark Kerr, a former NCAA champion, in 2001 when beating Kerr, an early MMA star, still meant something. Against the top wrestlers, both opponents come out strong with takedowns. But in both cases, they started getting tired. In each case, Herring caught them with knees as they shot in, and quickly finished them.

But in Herring’s UFC debut on January 25, 2007, that never happened and Jake O’Brien outwrestled him for three rounds to earn a decision win. O’Brien, while a good college wrestler, isn’t nearly as big, as strong, or the level of wrestler as Lesnar.

Herring (28-13), is known for being difficult to finish; he went the distance twice with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in their three meetings, after being submitted the first time. But he was beaten by his most famous opponents in Japan, by Cro Cop from strikes on the ground, and by Fedor Emelianenko due to blood

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Thanks for the article but is this not a bit of dodgy reporting
    But because of that same drawing power, and the cost, his early path is opposite to how UFC has treated similar heavyweight prospects Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez, or how Elite XC has booked Kimbo Slice.

The others have been given lower or mid-level opponents to start out with to build their reputation. UFC decided that with what they were paying Lesnar, there was going to be no such slow grooming process.

I thought the original plan was too feed him an OAP former champion but then he had to pull out and they pulled a surprise by giving him Herring. I have no idea who's going to win the match as I've only started to get into MMA but I'll certainly be rooting for Lesnar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's a much tougher fight for Brock than the original one scheduled, against Mark Coleman. Wrestlers with good conditioning seem to give Herring trouble though, and I think that's exactly what Brock is. I'm predicting a first round stoppage for Brock, I think he's going to be just too powerful once he takes Heath down, which he will do with ease

I didn't realise until I read that article yesterday that Brock was older than Herring. Herring's been around for so long, it seems strange

This fight is important for Brock. If he loses in a bad way he's in trouble. I'd put money on that not happening though

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the article but is this not a bit of dodgy reporting

I thought the original plan was too feed him an OAP former champion but then he had to pull out and they pulled a surprise by giving him Herring. I have no idea who's going to win the match as I've only started to get into MMA but I'll certainly be rooting for Lesnar.

While Mark Coleman is certainly past his best, he's still at a higher level than most of the guys that Carwin, Velasquez and Kimbo have fought. Those three guys have yet to fight an opponent with a name or reputation as big as Coleman's

But I think it still would have been an easy enough fight for Brock. Everything Coleman is good at it appears that Brock is even better at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote: »
    . I'd put money on that not happening though

I'm thinking of putting money down the other way on Herring. I think Herring could catch him with something and we don't know what Lesnar's chin is like.

Promo video from UFC:

I'm thinking of putting money down the other way on Herring. I think Herring could catch him with something and we don't know what Lesnar's chin is like.

There's good odds on Herring. He could easily win it, but I just don't think that he's going to get the chance to knock Brock out because Brock will be right in there with the takedown

• Advertisement

I've only started to get into MMA but I'll certainly be rooting for Lesnar.

What shows have you watched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Considering his lack of experience, Lesner is very very short at 4-11 and you can get around 5-2 on Herring on Betfair
    What shows have you watched?

I've never seen a full show, it's mainly just rifling through the big name-fighter matches on Daily Motion although I'm very tempted to subscribe to Setanta considering what they're offering. Are there any shows in particular you'd recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

I'd like Lesnar to win cause I want to see more of him in MMA, but he's still a baby in the sport and no amount of training can equate to cage experience. Although the longer it goes the more I favour Lesnar. It sould be a good fight and a good card.

Are there any shows in particular you'd recommend

Ultimate Fighter 1 is a great way to start. It's not only a great show but alot of the fighters on it went on to have successful careers (Forrest Griffin, Dieago Sanchez, Kenny Florian, Josh Koscheck etc..)

I'd really recommend Setanta for the the MMA coverage. They probably show as much of it as the Sky does the WWE.

Plus there's gonna be some pretty big shows coming up and they usually saved their most marketable one for December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

What channel is the Brock Lesner fight on?I can't wait to see him in action again...I think he has the potential to truely dominate the sport

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

All I can say is this will be a short fight.

Damo.Smith wrote: »
    What channel is the Brock Lesner fight on?I can't wait to see him in action again...I think he has the potential to truely dominate the sport

Setanta Sports.

Yeah Setanta 3 am :( I have to be in work the next day for the community shield !! Will be shattered. Should just stay in work and watch the UFC there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Setanta Sports.

B*lls.
    Do Bravo show a repeat anytime soon after?

No Setanta show the repete also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No. Setanta now have exclusive rights to current UFC programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

Is Seek and Destroy UFC 87 on Saturday night as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mousey007 wrote: »
    Is Seek and Destroy UFC 87 on Saturday night as well?

That's what everyone has been talking about.

Lesnar is fighting at that event.

GSP is defending his title in the main event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I assume the repeat is on the sunday? what time if anyones got it?

enjoyed lesnar's first fight alright, he looked like a monster.

that dagger tattoo in the middle of his chest tho wtf was he thinking

DRakE wrote: »
    .that dagger tattoo in the middle of his chest tho wtf was he thinking

Vince McMahon stabbed him metaphorically.

• Advertisement

Preview of the Countdown show:

Not completely related to Lesnar but really worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

rovert wrote: »
    Vince McMahon stabbed him metaphorically.
    Has he got serious issues with Vince? I kinda stopped watching wrestling around the time Heyman screwed Brock out of the belt, then started again after Brock was gone.. dunno anything about his time in wwe actually.. enlighten me? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Have never watched this before.
    Might give it a go. But 3am is bloody late! When're the repeats does anyone know? Couldn't find it on their website.

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Have never watched this before.
    Might give it a go.

It's on Setanta Sports 2 at 8pm on a Sunday, according to tv listings on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Watched countdown to UFC 87 on Setanta just there and must say..Roger Huertas story about his life is unreal..I hope he beats Florian and think he will..think Lesnar will beat Herring since Herring wont knockout Lesnar and thats what he tries to do

callaway92 wrote: »
    Herring wont knockout Lesnar and thats what he tries to do

He's not bad at submissions either.

Is the Lesner fight starting at 3 or is the whole show beginning then?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Watched countdown to UFC 87 on Setanta just there and must say..Roger Huertas story about his life is unreal..I hope he beats Florian and think he will..think Lesnar will beat Herring since Herring wont knockout Lesnar and thats what he tries to do

Brock isnt too steady on his feet.

He'll be fine on his feet

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote: »
    dunno anything about his time in wwe actually.. enlighten me? :D

He was brillaint, one of the main best reasons to watch around that time, had everything going for him as far as i could see, then decided he wanted out

He'll be fine on his feet

No he wont, he could barely keep balance in his last fight.

He fought standing for about 10 seconds of his last fight. There was one very minor instance were Mir through a kick and Lesnar had his left foot off the ground at the same time and it unbalanced him for a millisecond

So we know very little about how he is standing.

I think he's going to get more fight time this time around. I think it could go into rounds 2 and 3. Heath Herring is not an easy guy to finish and I think Brock won't be as gung ho as he was in his last fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is the Lesner fight starting at 3 or is the whole show beginning then?

The show begins at 3am. Lesnar probably wont fight until 4.30 - 5am

its gonna be unreal,a few beers and crisps and bring a good crew around to watch it in my place...cant wait

Im seeing a Herring win for this one. I would like to see Brock win , but i think Herring will just come at him. Hopfully it will be a good slugfest .

• Advertisement

Lesnar is the man and will definitely win!

I could see Brock beating Health til he bleeds bad, but that could turn out to be a Red Herring...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

No he wont, he could barely keep balance in his last fight.

You could tell that from the 20 or so seconds that he was on his feet?

Brock will be grand standing sure if i remember correctly he knocked Mir down with a punch.

Current odds from paddypower:

Brock to win 4-11 Heath to win 15-8

John Fitch to win 9-4 GSP to win 2-7

dancor wrote: »
    You could tell that from the 20 or so seconds that .

It was even less than 20 seconds.

• Advertisement

Heath is definitely worth a punt

Heath is definitely worth a punt

No he is not. Damo Smith has spoken :)

My predictions are .....

Heath
    GSP
    Huerta

No he is not. Damo Smith has spoken :)

My predictions are .....

Heath
    GSP
    Huerta

I dont say this lightly but I do think when push comes to shove I dont think Brock is mentally tough or is the sharpest tool in the box for that matter. He is no Randy Couture (or Kurt Angle even when both were around their primes in their wrestling career) thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can see Brock getting caught with a few knees when shooting for takedowns and he could end up knocked out if he's not careful.

Going to put money on Fitch to beat GSP too.

I dont say this lightly but I do think when push comes to shove I dont think Brock is mentally tough or is the sharpest tool in the box for that matter. He is no Randy Couture (or Kurt Angle even when both were around their primes in their wrestling career) thats for sure.

Really? I think he's very mentally tough. The story that's being brought up a lot now is when he lost in the NCAA final one year and then went all out in training until he won it one year later. He was also smart enough to get out of a job that he saw leading to a bad life for him

Really? I think he's very mentally tough. The story that's being brought up a lot now is when he lost in the NCAA final one year and then went all out in training until he won it one year later.

Kurt had the same and more likely more drive THAN Brock and is hardly mentally balanced.
    He was also smart enough to get out of a job that he saw leading to a bad life for him

He cracked plain and simple even with buying his own private plane to get him to shows. He is wired differently to 99% of people as he is very much from a very small town, things (pressure & responsibly) DO affect him differently. Also Sable was in his ear when he left WWE as too. Those two have had quite the relationship and if Sable has sand in her vagina this weekend it will affect Brock as he isn’t the type of guy to departmentalise (strictly focus on the fight). If you want to know what Brock his doing now he is at the motorcycle rally in Stugis. Great prep work there :rolleyes: and if the characterisation of Brock I made here is in fact true then he is ****ed as it is too much of a distraction for a person like him this close to a fight.

If you want to know what Brock his doing now he is at the motorcycle rally in Stugis. Great prep work there :rolleyes:

Fighters usually take it easy the week before a fight for various reasons. I don't think that'll affect Brock much at all. He's managed to work his way to the top in two fields, I still think that he can do that again

Fighters usually take it easy the week before a fight for various reasons.

Again Brock isnt most fighters (or Chuck Liddell:D). But we will see this weekend.

It's very hard to assess a guys mental state or preparation from such a distance but just from what he's achieved and hearing in interviews from people who train with him what he's like, I think these 2 things are the least of his worries.

To me, the big issue is his inexperience. In his 3rd MMA fight he's facing a guy in Heath Herring whose a very experienced, durable, good fighter. It's a big test for him.

It's very hard to assess a guys mental state or preparation from such a distance but just from what he's achieved and hearing in interviews from people who train with him what he's like, I think these 2 things are the least of his worries.

Id normally agree but a lot has been written about him and Ive followed his career. Even on a surface level watch his WWE DVD he is a different type of guy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement