Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnar back in MMA action

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dana White gives his take on Lensar and other pro-wrestling and MMA related topics.

From prowrestling.net :
    The following are a few of the notable comments White made during the media session.

-White on running head-to-head with Affliction: "You wanna compete with me? You wanna compete? Let's f---ing compete... I will f---ing crush you."

-White on Elite XC fighter Kimbo Slice: "I have a kid that fights in the WEC. His name is Uriah Faber. He weighs 145 pounds. He'll beat Kimbo. He's a real fighter."

-White on whether he was tempted to protect Brock Lesnar: I told Brock straight up, you're not going to get babied here. This is the real deal."

-White on not setting up Lesnar with soft opponents: "I took the fight industry and I f---ing shook it up. I flipped it up, turned it upside down, and I rebuilt the whole thing."

-White on Bobby Lashley: "Who is he? I don't even know who he is."

-White on Kurt Angle: "His neck alone scares the **** out of me."

And more from Lesnar putting his last loss down to inexperience:
    Lesnar also discussed his strategy to the fight. "My inexperience showed in that last fight and will show a lot less in this fight," he said. "I've got 15 minutes to win a fight and not one minute. I think you'll see me come into this fight a lot more calm, collected and a little more precise and not so reckless."

Just wanted to recommend the Countdown show. If you get a chance to catch the replay, I'd really recommend watching it. It's top notch tv and as big a fan as I am of GSP, I'm rooting for Fitch in this one.

Also Roger Huerta's section on the show is amazing. He has a hell of a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

rovert wrote: »
    if Sable has sand in her vagina this weekend it will affect Brock

Ah yes, otherwise known as sex on the beach syndrome, a common problem for women in their 40 's...
    Serously though, WTF, where did the image of Sable with a sandy f*nny come from?! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

D-FENS wrote: »
    Ah yes, otherwise known as sex on the beach syndrome, a common problem for women in their 40 's...
    Serously though, WTF, where did the image of Sable with a sandy f*nny come from?! :)

It is a literary reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Southpark is literature now?

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Southpark is literature now?

002607.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The show begins at 3am. Lesnar probably wont fight until 4.30 - 5am

will set the alarm so, although i'll quite possibly just press snooze until about 9am..

He say's dead serious and matter of fact as if he's qouted Dostoevsky...

Kind of the joke....

This place is my Crime and Punishment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You're so HIV negative D-FENS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A dominant performance it must be said. Lesnar wins

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    A dominant performance it must be said. Lesnar wins

He just needs to learn now to finish and submissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lesner was completely dominant but he just seemed unable to finish him off in anyway shape or form. He was just waiting for the bell from round 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I think he may have been making his point and completely owned the dude for 3 rounds without ever really working that hard, I think he was displaying his dominance for the naysayers

EdK wrote: »
    I think he may have been making his point and completely owned the dude for 3 rounds without ever really working that hard, I think he was displaying his dominance for the naysayers

Probably

Heath's corner was also giving him grieve. Which explains the post match antics.

• Advertisement

Kind of the joke....

This place is my Crime and Punishment

No-one's forcing you to be here

No-one's forcing you to be here

Should I Karamazov, then?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    You're so HIV negative D-FENS

Compared to Rovert i'm as upbeat as Cliff Richard

Compared to Rovert i'm as upbeat as Cliff Richard

SUP Sandy

So you didnt get a South Park reference which has in fact entered into the common vernacular, get over it and return to topic.

SUP Sandy

So you didnt get a South Park reference which has in fact entered into the common vernacular, get over it and return to topic.

It's nothing to do with not knowing anything about South Park, really not ashamed to say i'm not a fan, it was just your condisending reply. Never mind me getting back on topic, you get off your high horse for a change and there'd be a lot less tension around here.

• Advertisement

It's nothing to do with not knowing anything about South Park, really not ashamed to say i'm not a fan, it was just your condisending reply. Never mind me getting back on topic, you get off your high horse for a change and there'd be a lot less tension around here.

Which reply was this and how was it condisending? You are the one who started going down that route:

You misread the situation totally. I wasnt dead serious as it was a joke. It should have been clear to anyone.

It was a really good win for Brock. He's obviously still very rough around the edges but he clearly learned from his last fight and the raw ability is there for him to to be a big player in the heavyweight division. Going 3 rounds will have been a big benefit to him aswell.

It was a really good win for Brock. He's obviously still very rough around the edges but he clearly learned from his last fight and the raw ability is there for him to to be a big player in the heavyweight division. Going 3 rounds will have been a big benefit to him aswell.

Yeah at least we know he can.

Which reply was this and how was it condisending? You are the one who started going down that route:

You misread the situation totally. I wasnt dead serious as it was a joke.

Your one sentence reply to my first post basically said to me "If you don't know where sand in the vagina comes from, i'm not bothered even telling you", and as the use of smileys has become so normal on here, without one the sentence appears quite serious. However, If you say you were not serious then i'll accept that i've misread the situation and gladly drop it.
    All in all Rovert, i've said before that you know your stuff, and i personally come on here more to gain info than to give it so am grateful to read and learn new things, but there's a way to deliver that information without seeming like you're talking down to people. At the end of the day, we're both saddo's posting on a wrestling messageboard on a Sunday afternoon :)

Your one sentence reply to my first post basically said to me "If you don't know where sand in the vagina comes from, i'm not bothered even telling you", and as the use of smileys has become so normal on here, without one the sentence appears quite serious. However, If you say you were not serious then i'll accept that i've misread the situation and gladly drop it.
    All in all Rovert, i've said before that you know your stuff, and i personally come on here more to gain info than to give it so am grateful to read and learn new things, but there's a way to deliver that information without seeming like you're talking down to people. At the end of the day, we're both saddo's posting on a wrestling messageboard on a Sunday afternoon :)

Alright but how could you think Im being serious when I was replying to your own post which in fact had a smiley in it, you already set context for my reply:

Some adivce for you grow a sense of humour seriously and stop being so precious (I mention it was a joke in post #60), maybe you should watch more South Park and read less Dostoevsky (if in fact you do read him.) :):):):):)

Alright but how could you think Im being serious when I was replying to your own post which in fact had a smiley in it, you already set context for my reply:

Some adivce for you grow a sense of humour seriously and stop being so precious (I mention it was a joke in post #60), maybe you should watch more South Park and read less Dostoevsky (if in fact you do read him.) :):):):):)

Thanks for returning the compliments! :)
    So you know your stuff but are rude, and i'm unfunny and possible not as educated as i try to imply, sorted! :):):):):):):) etc.

Just for those that didn't see the Brock fight, it's being repeated on Setanta at 8pm.

Thanks for returning the compliments! :)
    So you know your stuff but are rude, and i'm unfunny and possible not as educated as i try to imply, sorted! :):):):):):):) etc.

How am I rude, sorry but I don’t know what to complement you about? This thread hardly gives me much material.
    Just for those that didn't see the Brock fight, it's being repeated on Setanta at 8pm.

There are some awesome gifs of the fight, can I post them?

Feck it the replay is nearly on:
    2m4x5yg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

XXXXL gloves!:eek:

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    XXXXL gloves!:eek:

In the last fight he had the largest gloves on site they had didnt fit him.

Some info. on the event from mmapayout:
    The gate was $2.2 million, a new record for the Target Center. The attendance was 15,082.

A week out from the event the gate was at $2.2 million on just over 13,000 rickets sold, so the last couple of thousand seemed to be mostly comped/papered tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Forgot all about this. Just watched a very poor quality version of the fight on Youtube and Brock looked pretty comfortable. Wasn't as explosive as I expected it to be but at least he's improving.

Were any wrestlers in attendance this time? Undertaker or Angle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Were any wrestlers in attendance this time? Undertaker or Angle?

Jesse Ventura was sat beside BJ Penn. Sable was there obviously. No other wrestlers were shown on camera

That was a great win for Brock. He did have the opportunity to finish it a few times, especially when he was in mount. He didn't do a whole lot from mount, and that's got to be deliberate. He was able to land some heavy shots from worse and less stable positions, so if he wanted to he could have thrown more in mount I think. He made sure not to make any mistakes. If he keeps fighting like that then there's no one in the UFC who can stop him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fozzy wrote: »
    If he keeps fighting like that then there's no one in the UFC who can stop him

I would disagree with that. Herring is a great fighter, but Brock overcame him with roughly the same gameplan as O'Brien.

O'Brien has hardly been tearing up the ranks lately.

Brock is big, strong, athletic and appears to be able to learn very quickly ( in the cage he was very much the cooler and calmer person than when he fought Mir, far more measured for a lot of the fight ) but that said....the HW division still holds LOTs of danger for him. Gonzaga, Werdum, Mir and of course Big Nog only need a very basic mistake to tap him easily, Kongo can spark him....i would put decent money of Cain Vasqulez beating Brock should they ever fight to be honest.

Brock has massive potential......HUGE potential, but a lot of those guys have nothing to fear from him outside of his wrestling at the moment.

I really doubt that. The object is to win. In MMA it's a sub or a knockout that is dominant.....a fight reaching the judges just means you can't finish it and if you dominate a full fight but STILL couldn't finish it then two things need to be looked at.

1) Your opponent is a tough mother****er
    2) You have yet to develop the skillset to finish and the experience to know when to apply it.

I would say in this case it's about 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dragan wrote: »
    I would disagree with that. Herring is a great fighter, but Brock overcame him with roughly the same gameplan as O'Brien.

When I said "if he keeps fighting like that", I meant fighting without making mistakes. Nogueira could easily survive an onslaught from Brock and catch him in a submission if Brock presented him with that opportunity. But most fighters will find it very hard to catch him in something if he moves the way he did against Herring

The early rumours are that it'll be Brock vs Cheick Kongo next. They're probably the two most muscular heavyweights in the UFC, it'd be a bit of a spectacle. I'd still go with Brock there

Fozzy wrote: »
    When I said "if he keeps fighting like that", I meant fighting without making mistakes. Nogueira could easily survive an onslaught from Brock and catch him in a submission if Brock presented him with that opportunity. But most fighters will find it very hard to catch him in something if he moves the way he did against Herring

The early rumours are that it'll be Brock vs Cheick Kongo next. They're probably the two most muscular heavyweights in the UFC, it'd be a bit of a spectacle. I'd still go with Brock there

Well, the whole "if they don't make any mistakes" could be made about all of us i think! :) I do see what you mean though....it's just that Brocks skillset is just not there with regard to standup and submissions. Every time i roll with someone i end up dealing with a completely different style of grappler and a different submission set...a lot of things get developed in gyms and the first time you see them is when you are tapping!

Lesnar Vs Kongo is an interesting match...i can see Brock winning that one....a bit more convincingly than he beat Herring as well....in that i could see Brock finishing it!

Kongo turned down a fight with Lesnar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When? For Brocks second outing or for his next?

Must say I loved the early punch Brock landed turning Herring inside out. Totally dominant performance. Very interested to see who is next? Will they give him a weaker opponent for Brock to destroy, or do they give him a real contender where a win for Brock would truly establish him?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »

For last Saturday.

I think it was a number of things

Brock was afraid to get caught like he did in his first fight, so he kept his opponent in a position so that couldnt happen

He wanted to prove his dominance

He wanted to prove he had the stamina to last a whole fight

He wanted to give his home town crowd their moneys worth

If he had KO'ed Herring in a couple of minutes like it looked like he would following the first punch, he would still have people saying he is all power and no substance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I think it was a number of things

Brock was afraid to get caught like he did in his first fight, so he kept his opponent in a position so that couldnt happen

He wanted to prove his dominance

He wanted to prove he had the stamina to last a whole fight

He wanted to give his home town crowd their moneys worth

If he had KO'ed Herring in a couple of minutes like it looked like he would following the first punch, he would still have people saying he is all power and no substance

I would agree with this to a certain extent. The big right-hand may have changed the complexion of the fight. It meant that in the first few seconds of the fight he proved he had knock down power. He then used the rest of the fight to show he could dominate and concentrate for 15 minutes.

People will still say (legitimately) that he didn't finish, but he still proved a hell of a lot

gimmick wrote: »

Must say I loved the early punch Brock landed turning Herring inside out.

The punch was not all that bad, a strong punch yes, but hardly turning Heath inside out in fairness. :)

Heath took the shot and was falling backwards, no point in lying on the ground inviting a wrestler of Brocks calibre t control you for the rest of the round so he tried to roll backwards out of it.

It was a nice punch, but not a great punch. It does however indicate that some more work on his timing and technique and Brock may have knock out power on command.

Not saying it was a knockout punch, just saying at that moment when he was on the ground and Brock rushed him you felt like Brock was gonna pound the **** out of him, to be fair Mr Herring can take a beating

Dragan wrote: »

It was a nice punch, but not a great punch. .

I don't think Heath ever fully recovered from it really. It reminded me of the punch Randy threw against Tim Silvia.

I did enjoy the head charge by Brock.

• Advertisement

I did enjoy the head charge by Brock.

Tauro Tauro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Finally got to see the show last night and I think Brock deliberately didn't finish him once it went past half way.

He was content to prove that he's not just some big powerhouse who'll gas out after a few minutes.

Lets put this in context, has anyone ever had a fifteen minute fight with Herring and restricted him to practically zero offence?

Kongo is a dangerous fight for Lesnar because Cheick is probably the best standing striker in the UFC heavyweight division.

Kongo is a dangerous fight for Lesnar because Cheick is probably the best standing striker in the UFC heavyweight division.

I'd say Cheick is an easy fight for Lesnar myself. He is terrible on the ground, his takedown defence is pretty poor and history has shown when he is put against the cage he falls apart.

Dave Meltzer said in this morning’s audio which I posted in the Raw thread that Heath's fight camp totally believed all the Sherdog stuff about Brock being nothing but a fake fighter. Taking the fight as a total slight against them by UFC as Heath would have to be in the same octagon as Brock.

Dave Meltzer said in this morning’s audio which I posted in the Raw thread that Heath's fight camp totally believed all the Sherdog stuff about Brock being nothing but a fake fighter. Taking the fight as a total slight against them by UFC as Heath would have to be in the same octagon as Brock.

Well Heath ****ed up then didn't he.:)

You would think after Mir said repeatedly in his post fight that he was freaked out by how strong and fast Brock was, the speed on his transitions and the fact that he was rocked on the ground from the GnP would have clued Heath in a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement