Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lebron James to Europe?

• 06-08-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

$50 million some serious wedge the European teams have. This could have huge consequences for the game if it happens, even though it still seems far of now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

If LeBron is offered $50 million from Greece and considers taking the offer, Stern will have the league salary cap rules changed quicker than Carmelo can backpeddle. There's no way he let's the future of the NBA leave because of salary cap restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

There's some serious stuff afoot with a limited number of overseas teams now being able to match and better NBA teams salaries due to salary cap restrictions. It was inevitable as the Europeans scene got better and more money was available.

Childress has already gone to Olympiacos which is backed by a pair of billionaire brothers who are like the Roman Abramovich of European basketball. There's a few rumours of Jason Williams (Miami Heat) going to play overseas as well (although if Shaq has his way, he's going to Phoenix).

IMHO, LBJ is going nowhere... yet. The trend won't be drastic enough in the next 3 years (I think James' contract allows him to opt out after 2009-2010 and he becomes a free agent in 2011) for the European scene to become attractive enough for him. However, if the trend of American players favouring European clubs continues to the point where European clubs are *AS* competitive as American ones, then this could change the situation. You could see an aging LBJ or an aging Kobe Bryant take a contract (ala Scottie Pippen, although maybe not that old!), but I don't think you'll see one of the stars of the NBA in his prime hitting a European club. However, maybe I underestimate how much a couple of mil is worth to these guys.

It's an interesting situation to watch as European basketball gets better and better. It's more akin to the football situation where clubs are bringing in teenagers at a young age, grooming them and throwing away the ones who aren't good enough.

What could really make this a more interesting situation is the restriction that the NBA has that stops high school graduates declaring for the draft. You're gonna get kids with no money from the projects now having big money thrown at them from Europe before they are allowed to earn a crust in the NBA. This may completely change how the NBA deals with these prospects.

IMHO, the states has a better position here. College basketball is good, Salary caps are good, the draft is good. It would be better for European basketball to follow this route than the football route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I was just coming on here to post about the article and all the other players that have gone to Europe.

Is the U S and A's economy is in such a state that there athletes are willing to go abroad to make a buck?

I'd gladly purchase a jersey of any of the americans that have come to Europe. In order for other players to consider the same move, they need to be shown that the others have been welcomed with open arms.

At this point in time, I agree with Phil, Lebron ain't going anywhere. He won't till he's got a ring and MVP award (maybe not the later).

The european system is really good though. The likes of spain, italy, france and load of the eastern block all have sports schools where the best talent in the country go to be trained. I played in a jamboree in Barcelona at 14, the Irish team of 5 were teamed up with the 5 from Georgia (the country not state). These 5 were the top 5 players for their age and were all enrolled into this sports school. 2 of them went on to play in the NBA, Za-Za for the Hawks and another guy who's name doesn't come to mind (as it's too bloody akward to spell :)) These countries take their sport seriously, America needs to be careful in the next 2/3 years or there will be a mass exodus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

It's a combination of perceived improvement (look at the last world championships and the olympics), more money available and the recent strength of the euro against the dollar (which has suddenly made contracts grow in value in the US by 30-40% practically overnight)

If the Josh Childress experiment works (definitely the most high profile move that I know of), then you could see more players trying it. I think you'll definitely see ex-potential highscool draftees being attracted over here by money immediately out of high school.

I'd love to see European clubs competing at a higher level. Of course, Ireland is still being left WAAAAAAAAAAY behind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Boykins moved over as well, although he shot himself in the foot by opting out of his contract last summer and not picking anything up until earlier this year.

The out of high school players will definately be looking to make a buck for a year (or 2) before being eligible to play in the NBA.

The thing with the european system is that a lot of the players become "professionals" at circa 14 (possibly even younger). They're bred for this.

I'm not even going to comment on the Irish "system", it will only make me angry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sea Devils wrote: »
    If LeBron is offered $50 million from Greece and considers taking the offer, Stern will have the league salary cap rules changed quicker than Carmelo can backpeddle. There's no way he let's the future of the NBA leave because of salary cap restrictions.

If it every became a serious threat, salary cap would increase dramatically, and there's no way europeans teams would be able to compete financially.

The only way is if, Basketball became as popular as soccer in europe would european teams be in a financial position to challenge. (I know basketball is the main sport in many eastern european countries but they still wouldn't be able to compete against USA).

Also commercially for LeBron he'd lose millions, i don't think he'd get the same money from Nike Greece. Not to mention the culture change.

Still though, its encouraging to see professional basketball growing outside the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Hazys wrote: »
    If it every became a serious threat, salary cap would increase dramatically, and there's no way europeans teams would be able to compete financially.

True The NBA with the hard cap (lux tax) and soft cap system and the salary floor has the best salary structure of any sport. I like the NFL's but the lack of any Rookie salary cap is an annoyance.

I just hope Stern doesn't abolish the Salary Cap because if he does the NBA will turn into the joke that MLB is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sea Devils wrote: »
    True The NBA with the hard cap (lux tax) and soft cap system and the salary floor has the best salary structure of any sport. I like the NFL's but the lack of any Rookie salary cap is an annoyance.

I just hope Stern doesn't abolish the Salary Cap because if he does the NBA will turn into the joke that MLB is

I don't believe abolishing the Salary Cap would destroy the NFL or NBA (But a cap is the best option), the best run teams will still have the best chance, (the Packers are something like $40 million under the salary cap and they got to the NFC Champ game) and teams like the Redskins and Raiders will still be failures (just more spectacular).

I'd actually perfer the no cap to the new CBA that the NFL is proposing, as it punishes the well run teams.

An excellant book to read is 'Moneyball' by Michael Lewis, where he writes about the management of the Oakland A's in a capless MLB and how they are so successfull when their wage budget is a quarter of what the Red Soxs and Yankees spend.

Advertisement