Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you pay your childminder?

Options
  • 06-08-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I am planning on looking for work as a childminder. I am going to meet a lady tomorrow who is looking for a childminder, full time to look after her 2 boys in their home. Just wondering what the going rate is? I have a couple of years experience in minding children but am not qualified. I've looked around online but can't seem to find much information on an hourly rate etc. Any advice would be appreciated as I know childcare costs are expensive for parents but at the same time I need to survive too so am unsure of what to expect to earn? Should I at the very least expect minimum wage per hour? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

typically the cost may be based on a daily basis once an agreed drop off and collection time has been agreed. we pay our child minder €40 per day for minding one child. this includes meals.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

op try the childcare forums on www.rollercoaster.ie i think theirs info in the professional childcare section. most people charge the minium rate, but then it depends on the amount of hours, how many children and where you are located. you could also try your local childminding commitee for infomation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

If you're minding the kids in their home then technically aren't you an employee so should expect the minimum wage per hour? Or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

My neighbour has her 2 children minded in her own home from 8-5

it costs €650 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Clare Bear wrote: »
    If you're minding the kids in their home then technically aren't you an employee so should expect the minimum wage per hour? Or am I wrong?

I think you are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I don't know how the full time in home childminding works but i give my babysitter 12 per hour and it goes up between 15-20 after midnight. Thats about one day a week and maybe one night. If anybody in the d6w area wants to mid a 2 year old for minimum wage or thereabouts please contact me! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

nesf wrote: »
    I think you are wrong.

Yeah I usually am but that's what I read.

Yeah I usually am but that's what I read.

Well, think of it this way, would a babysitter be considered an employee because they are working in your home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a difference, a baby sitter is casually employed cash in hand.

A child minder must by the regulations mind the child in thier own home, if they are in the home of the child they are considered not to be self employed but in the employ of the childs parents, which has tax, insurance and prsi implications.

http://www.childminding.ie/faq.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

traceybere wrote: »

it costs €650 per month

Is that fulltime pay? Are they older children?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There is a difference, a baby sitter is casually employed cash in hand.

A child minder must by the regulations mind the child in thier own home, if they are in the home of the child they are considered not to be self employed but in the employ of the childs parents, which has tax, insurance and prsi implications.

http://www.childminding.ie/faq.htm

I stand corrected then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I was paying €5 per hour per child to my childminder, that included meals..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I was half thinking of taking up childminding myself.

Tell you the truth ... no way would I consider working 8-5 minding two children for only 650 a month - nor would I consider working for only 5 euro an hour. God you would want to be desperate for a bit of money ....

Its not like when your minding kids all day you have someone come and say - your on your lunch break now love, see you in an hour!! Its the most full time job you could ever take on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

traceybere wrote: »

it costs €650 per month

Revenue will come a knocking soon. They are getting strict on this at the moment.

Maymay, you should get min. wage at least, and PRSI contributions paid. I'd seriously question working for them if they are trying to do this below the counter.

Any pay over and above min. wage is really down to where you are, your qualifications and experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

i think it really depends on if you are minding in the childs home or your own, and if it is in your own home are you going to take on other children,
    i live in a rural area and there isnt much notice taken to the guidlines re how many children you can mind.

at my home place the going rate is €100 pw full time, but they would have 5/6 children,

when i moved house i had to get a new childminder and she charged €150 pw fulltime and €100 pw after school, she had my little girl and 3 others afterschool, plus one full time. so she was getting €550 tax free pw during the school term, and €750 when they were on holidays,

she also charged if the child wasnt there, ie week holidays in the summer, christmas, and the odd few days when she was sick which i totally disagree with but thats another story. i know some people think you should pay minimum wage, but if your barely on that yourself, or have to pay a lot in petrol or diesel, your not going to be able to afford paying minimum wage to your childminder, especially when you would be paying for the 2 or 3 hours you spend commuting to work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

You are right. If she is minding in their home they are her employer and have to look after all paperwork in relation to tax and prsi. I have to do it for my childminder.
    If she is minding in her home she is self employed andhas to do all the paperwork and taxes herself.

I pay €430 a week for someone to come into my home. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Quality wrote: »
    I was paying €5 per hour per child to my childminder, that included meals..:)

5 euro an hour my God you should be ashamed of yourself:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

For a person with no actual training and is under 18, €5 is the going rate!!
    but thats not fulltime of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

KatCookie wrote: »

But surely no self respecting parent would be looking to employ a child (which is what you are if your under 18) with no training to look after what is supposted to be the most important people in their live.

firstly, not babies, and secondly, we are talking for about an two hours about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

my mam minds my child for 400 euro a month! She was working part time so i pay her more than she was getting to stay home.

laurak265 wrote: »
    my mam minds my child for 400 euro a month! She was working part time so i pay her more than she was getting to stay home.

You still don't pay her very much tough:(

Well, it is her mother!
    some parents would nearly do it for free!

KatCookie wrote: »

5 euro is not the going rate for child minding wheather you have experience or not, 15 euro is the going rate for cleaners and home helps so I think anyone who pays less than that for childminding needs to take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror, if you can't afford that then stay at home and look after your own children:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

madser wrote: »
    5 euro is not the going rate for child minding wheather you have experience or not, 15 euro is the going rate for cleaners and home helps so I think anyone who pays less than that for childminding needs to take a good hard look at themselves in the mirror, if you can't afford that then stay at home and look after your own children:eek:

Whats your problem?

My childminder set the rate of €5 per hour per child. (I have 2 children) She is over 18, a mother of 2 and passed her fetac level 5 in chidcare.

Would you actually like to answer the OP's question or are you just here to insult people...?

My youngest child goes to a creche and their fulltime rate is e160, that's just over e3 per hour. That is a rate set by the owners of the creche, not me. So have I to hang my head in shame, and continue to seek childcare that will cost me more than e15 per hour just because you said so???????

+1
    i think we can all agree that for childminding NOT in a creche, the lowest you should get paid is €5, but in a creche its a bit like when you buy in bulk its cheaper, they are minding children "in bulk" so thats why it works out at €3 or whatever!

can i point out that i'm available to work in the Kilkenny area! LoL!!!

If every working mother had to pay a childminder e15 per hour to have one of their children minded (never mind each child), then mothers would not return to work and there would be no market for childcare.
    beth-lou wrote: »
    I pay €430 a week for someone to come into my home. HTH.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    You must be earning a VERY high wage. My job would only leave me with only e20 at the end of the week if I paid that (and I am a professional)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

Madser, that is just plain insulting, not everyone is in high paying jobs where they would earn 15ph, never mind earning enough to enable them to be able to pay that to there childminder,.

if you want and can afford to pay that, then cudos to you, but i think the rest of us live in the real world,

to answer the ops question, than if you are going to be working for the parents in their home, then you are entitled at the very least to minimum wage, with them taking care of tax prsi, employers ins etc.

if you want to set yourself up in your own home minding a few peoples children, than it is up to you to work our an acceptable before tax wage for you,

for an example say you want 600pw. then if you had 4 children you could charge 150 per child per week. if you had 2 in the one family, and didnt want to charge them 300, you might mind them for 250, and mind the other children for 175 per week.

on an hourly basis per child it is affordable at around 3.50ph to the normal family, but as a collective, provides a decent wage for yourself.

now lets say you have 2 children yourself, factor in the cost you would have had of paying a childminder for them as a bonus, ie you would have to earn 850 pw before tax to pay the childminder 250 to get your 600.

Additional heating or food expences from minding children in your own home, would probably be covered if you were working elsewhere by the cost of petrol/diesel and parking charges or public transport, which depending on your commuting can be astronomical.

i hope that helps you, when working this out for yourself, base it on what you want as a wage, and how many children you are going to be minding, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 irishrobin

i pay my childminder 25 a day i know thats not much but the person is related and is happy with the money as they have there own child at home and is glad of the company for their child.
    but i have a friend who works as a full time childminder and does earn up to 320.00 a week

Advertisement